• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I think created a monster...

kennethwest

My little brother came to visit a few weeks ago and my stereo seems to have left him with a lasting impression, as I just got a text message that he just brought home a Parasound A21 and a P5, to go with a pair of Klipsch RF-7 III's and dual SPL-150's, and $1000 worth of cables.

He's always been music oriented, but he just went from a cheap pair of KRK powered speakers hooked up to a laptop, to all this all in one go.

I was joking with him while he was here that he was going to go out and buy a nice stereo after seeing and listening to mine, and it didn't even take 2 weeks for him to drop a huge chunk of money.

It's just a matter of time before he buys a turntable and DAC and really gets into the thick of this nonsense.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Beave

Major Contributor
He spent $1000 on cables and as much on his amp & preamp as on his speakers? Yikes! Hopefully it's not too late for him to return it all and spend his money more wisely next time.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
He spent $1000 on cables and as much on his amp & preamp as on his speakers? Yikes! Hopefully it's not too late for him to return it all and spend his money more wisely next time.
KaaachinG! Some salesperson is raking in the commish after that sale.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember the feeling. I'd a little experience with various decent stereos. A friend obtained some Quad ESL63's. Said he thought I would want to hear them. After hearing them, "I have got to have me a pair of those". Even 2nd hand, they were expensive, and more than I then believed I would ever spend on speakers. But in a bit over a month I had a pair in the prettiest Rosewood end panels. Used them happily for over a decade, and wouldn't have felt bad if I'd never had anything else.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor

... and maybe spend a few days reading ASR before he buys anything else.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Irony is that the KRKs, despite their shortcomings, were likely better than the Klipschs.

Maybe you could show him some data and reviews and get him to return the speakers and cables, and do some more research?

Couldn't find data for the III, but the II version is here;
1608376881250.png

witchdoctor

What's your problem? You have 0 idea what cables or what impact it had on his system. Go and use zip cord if you want.

witchdoctor

Irony is that the KRKs, despite their shortcomings, were likely better than the Klipschs.

Maybe you could show him some data and reviews and get him to return the speakers and cables, and do some more research?

Couldn't find data for the III, but the II version is here;
View attachment 100217
They might be better for YOU, this guy obviously had a preference for Klipsch, go figure he found something he likes better, get over it.

witchdoctor

kennethwest, you are a good big brother. I hope you get your brother a nice stocking stuffer for christmas :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Parasound gear looks veryyy nice. Succinctly put a thousand bucks on cables is a major proportion of the total. Perhaps too major. Otherwise we don't know much about the reasons why.
a21_rear_silver.jpg

p5_back_silver.jpg

Top Bottom