• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I think amir posted a video of some company making ultra sensative microphones. Anyone know what company that was?

Tks

Major Contributor
You could see in the video and hear some worm larva or something chewing on a leaf (If that helps).

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
GRAS:

OP
Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
You're the best pozz

I'm here going off 30 minutes hunting and couldn't find jack.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
You're the best pozz

I'm here going off 30 minutes hunting and couldn't find jack.
Helps to know which low-noise lab microphone manufacturers are around (GRAS, B&K, PCB, Audio Precison and I'm sure others I'm forgetting);)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Helps to know which low-noise lab microphone manufacturers are around (GRAS, B&K, PCB, Audio Precison and I'm sure others I'm forgetting);)

Earthworks. ACO. DPA.

Trivia: AP doesn’t make their mikes. If memory serves, they’re sourced from PCB.

OP
Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
Just wondering, this sort of performance is mostly to do with the physical microphones performance characteristics right? The same could be achieved if I hooked up one of these mics to a standard ADC today like a Motu or RME ADI Pro correct? They're not using some sort of alien level exclusive hardware are they?

Btw, what microphone is this even? The one in the video I mean.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just wondering, this sort of performance is mostly to do with the physical microphones performance characteristics right? The same could be achieved if I hooked up one of these mics to a standard ADC today like a Motu or RME ADI Pro correct? They're not using some sort of alien level exclusive hardware are they?

Btw, what microphone is this even? The one in the video I mean.
https://www.grasacoustics.com/products/product/ss_export/pdf2?product_id=180

You need their special module to power it as it runs on 200 volts rather than the normal 48 volt phantom power. And you need their special low noise preamp. GRAS 26HF
https://www.grasacoustics.com/products/product/213-26AJ.html

Reactions: Tks

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Also, many of the ultra low noise mikes use an ICP or similar interface, rather than the standard balanced phantom connections.

OP
Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
Also, many of the ultra low noise mikes use an ICP or similar interface, rather than the standard balanced phantom connections.

Just wondering. What's an ICP?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Just wondering. What's an ICP?

It's a single ended constant current interface. Very commonly used in instrumentation mics. One cool feature is the TEDS option, where calibration data is automatically sent from the mic to the interface.

OP
Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
It's a single ended constant current interface. Very commonly used in instrumentation mics. One cool feature is the TEDS option, where calibration data is automatically sent from the mic to the interface.

You're killin me here SIY.

TEDS >_> ??

Reactions: SIY
Top Bottom