• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I still need advice for desktop audio

Revolite

I'm currently using Audioengine HD3 and am unsatisfied so thinking of upgrade paths. One option is to add a sub but I don't like the idea of having even more black boxes surrounding me and where do I put that thing?

I could also replace them with something like the Kanto YU6 or A5+.

My priorities are in no particular order...
Good looking
Smaller preferred
Front volume control
Appropriate inputs for computer use
VERY low hiss or buzz at idle
Doesn't have to be the most neutral sound as they will be for entertainment, not for any sort of critical listening
Acceptable bass without a sub

I would prefer active mainly because I don't know anything about a passive set up and that makes me uncomfortable. But if the pros outweigh the cons ie; lower cost, no hiss, get my volume controls, maybe a headphone jack... it might be worth the work to figure it out?

I've read all the recommendations and some of the best suggestions are either not available or twice the price they should be here in Australia. I'm definitely not invulnerable to cost but don't want to throw my money away either. Used speakers may be an option.

But here I am asking for your advice and I intend to look at each and every suggestions seriously.

KantoLiving

Audio Company
Kanto rep here. YU6 checks most of your boxes except for "Appropriate inputs for computer use". If your PC doesn't have an optical output I'd suggest picking up a USB to Optical converter. If you use 3.5mm there's a good chance it'll pick up hiss or buzz - something you'd like to avoid. A ground loop isolator in-line with 3.5mm will do the trick as well if there are any issues.

radix

Major Contributor
I use, mostly, a Macbook Pro with only USB C outputs. I have a Douk Audio U2, which is USB C to toslink/spdif, which I then route through an Inday toslink/spdif 4-way switch to Neumann KH750/KH80. I have not measured anything, except for doing the MA.1 room equalization. This setup sounds great. Really amazing sound. I also have a RoPieee pi-4 w/ Digi2+ hifiberry output and toslink from a PC sound card on a Rampage motherboard.

I've been pretty happy with the Douk Audio U2. I wish the mac still had toslink in the 3.5mm connector, but they dropped it some time ago.

Marc

reddie.k

Minipods at a discount now + extra 10% discount when subscribed in newsletter.

Good looking - Yes (subjective - Three colours to choose from)
Smaller preferred - Yes
Front volume control - They have remote control
Appropriate inputs for computer use - Yes (Bluetooth, Optical, Aux in) - No usb
VERY low hiss or buzz at idle - Yes (I have 2 pairs and are dead silent)
Doesn't have to be the most neutral sound as they will be for entertainment, not for any sort of critical listening - They sound and measure quite good - close to flat.
Acceptable bass without a sub - Yes (Very nice and tight bass - goes down to 50 Hz - Have a sub out to fill the frequencies below)

carewser

I'm currently using Audioengine HD3 and am unsatisfied so thinking of upgrade paths. One option is to add a sub but I don't like the idea of having even more black boxes surrounding me and where do I put that thing?

I could also replace them with something like the Kanto YU6 or A5+.

My priorities are in no particular order...
Good looking
Smaller preferred
Front volume control
Appropriate inputs for computer use
VERY low hiss or buzz at idle
Doesn't have to be the most neutral sound as they will be for entertainment, not for any sort of critical listening
Acceptable bass without a sub

I would prefer active mainly because I don't know anything about a passive set up and that makes me uncomfortable. But if the pros outweigh the cons ie; lower cost, no hiss, get my volume controls, maybe a headphone jack... it might be worth the work to figure it out?

I've read all the recommendations and some of the best suggestions are either not available or twice the price they should be here in Australia. I'm definitely not invulnerable to cost but don't want to throw my money away either. Used speakers may be an option.

But here I am asking for your advice and I intend to look at each and every suggestions seriously.
It looks like your inquiry was never resolved or if it was you didn't tell us but i'm always puzzled when people say they don't know where to put a sub or don't have room for a sub. Let me explain my place, it's 170sq/ft, no not my listening room or mancave, my entire place other than the bathroom is 170 sq/ft and I have 11 subwoofers. Granted most of my subs aren't very big but I even have room for more so you can probably understand my confusion. Are we talking some kind of feng shui thing or what?

Top Bottom