• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I need some help with new to me floor standers

HighFutility

Hey everyone, currently looking for my first pair of floor standers. Looking at the second-hand /open-box dealer market and have narrowed my search to the Monitor Audio Silver series or the KEF R500 series. There is one other contender in the bookshelf range, the KEF R3. It's not a floor stander, but I found a reasonable price from a dealer and from my research, there is not much difference between the R3 > r5/500 model.

My first question is regarding the advancement of the monitor audio silver series. It seems the Silver 300 has better measurements than the newer 500 7G model. The 500 7g model has a bass boost, and the highs taper down after 10khz. Is my assumption correct? My apologies in advance. The model lineup seems to introduce varying numbers, but I think the three speakers are the same model. Please correct me if wrong.

Monitor 8 Measurements: https://www.stereophile.com/content/monitor-audio-silver-8-loudspeaker-measurements

Monitor Silver 300 Measurement: https://www.stereophile.com/content/monitor-audio-silver-300-loudspeaker-measurements

Monitor silver 5007g measurements : https://www.stereophile.com/content/monitor-audio-silver-500-7g-loudspeaker-measurements

The other contenders are
KEF R500 measurements: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

KEF R3 measurements ASR OR EAC

All the speakers are between 1200-1500$ Except for the older Monitor audio 8's, which are about 1000$. Part of my move is I want to ditch speaker stands. Initially, I liked them, but now they annoy me. I figure towers will bring more SPL and take up the same floor space, so why not. I am using a mini DSP and Denon's Audessy x32.

I am coming from a 2.2 system and will stay that way. Current speakers are older Polk Lsim 703s, and I am trying to stay in my lane regarding price. New speakers would be ideal but not realistic.

Is there a big difference between the smaller silver tower speaker's iterations? Is the KEF R3 better than the r500 tower?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve had the R500. They are quite excellent, but if I were to choose again, I think the R3 is probably the better speaker. objectively it is anyway.

OP
H

HighFutility

I’ve had the R500. They are quite excellent, but if I were to choose again, I think the R3 is probably the better speaker. objectively it is anyway.
If the KEF R3 was no longer on the table out of the three monitor audio speakers, is there much of a difference? The used market is tricky as things go fast. Open to all and any suggestions of makes or models that measure well.

OP
H

HighFutility

There’s a few more options that you’re not considering. Take a look at my ‘passive speaker recommendation’ thread.

I list both towers and bookshelves.
My pricing is, unfortunately, in CAD (Sad Trombone). The only speaker on the list that would be an option is the R200. I currently have Lsim 703s. I wouldn't be surprised if the R200s measure better. But the finish is so poor on the r200 that my eyes would bleed. Revel and Emotiva seldom come on the used market In Canada. I have come across Wharfedale evo 4.2 but have not seen published sweeps. It looks to be a nice three way but looks, as we know, can be deceiving. I would actually pay for an Ascend Acoustics Sierra series, but shipping and duty/customs are killer.

Lastly ,thank you for your multiple contributions. I frequent the subwoofer Comparison and Passive speaker recommendations weekly.

Last edited:

Urvile

I'm a real fan of Polk R700, they are a bit out of your price range, they do measure well.

OP
H

HighFutility

If one were to choose between KEF R3 or Revel f35 at the same price, I like the look of floor standers but can be easily persuaded.

Music Direct has a pair of B-stock f35's and does ship to Canada for a reasonable price.

OP
H

HighFutility

I ended up with a pair of Kef R5's sale price was cheaper than the R3'S. I currently have three subs, so not too worried about the dip from 200hz. Is there a way to delete this thread?

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
I ended up with a pair of Kef R5's sale price was cheaper than the R3'S. I currently have three subs, so not too worried about the dip from 200hz. Is there a way to delete this thread?
I think most would rather have you tell us about your experience when the new speakers arrive. Photos are always welcome. Hope you like the Kef’s.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Monitor Audio
I spent a few hours with the Silver 300 at Upscale Audio, driven by a $2k PrimaLuna integrated. Really wonderful. The only non-horn speaker I've ever heard that could really crank up metal without turning into a hash of distortion-Piece Of Mind sounded great, one of the best sounding metal records in my opinion. Motorhead's seminal No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith sounded much cleaner than I thought was even possible-it's still a raw performance but the 300s ripped through several veils to get a much cleaner picture of the performance. Jazz and classical and pop also sounded great-many speakers can do that because it's much easier. Now if money was no object I would jump all over the 500 7G...though yes in Stereophile's measurement I now notice what appears to be dome breakup. Here is another set of measurements, not as severe but somewhat similar.
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153
Honestly I'd try the 500 and see if the top octave bothered me (Crutchfield and maybe some others have reasonable trial periods and return costs); most folks hearing is not great that high anyway. As for the bass boost, all Stereophile measurements show that due to their measurement condition. Looking at the curves the 500 *might* have a bit more elevated bass? But roll off a tad more slowly? Hard to tell. The other link shows bass dying below 100 Hz but that is likely also due to the measurement room. The truth is for flat bass you really must have some kind of EQ.

KEF...I've long admired their engineering but I don't put them in the same category as the Silver 300 for crankability. Wharfedale EVO 4.4 we listened quite a while at Audio Element-lovely sound but only in the sweet spot. The Linton had a much more open sound wandering throughout their open plan shop.

Top Bottom