• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I need some help with a Freya + volume control

• Thread starter Deleted member 43441
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 43441

I bought the Freya + based off of the review on ASR recently for the Freya S, and supposedly they are the same thing, the plus just has an added tube stage.

I didn’t buy this for desktop use, I bought it for my main two channel setup because I wanted transparent, and it seems to be very transparent.

What I didn’t realize is there’s no display to tell you how much volume I’m using, you can’t tell where the volume level is! That can be dangerous in my opinion, and not only for my ears… my gear and especially my speakers.

Is there some kind of a transparent digital volume control with the remote, with an XLR output? I know these devices are available, but are they transparent?

I’ve done this before with a passive volume control but I didn’t want to run XLR cables to my MLP.

I know that I would leave the preamp volume all the way up, or nearly all the way up so my next question is… Is the preamp passing full voltage if it’s on full volume, even if the new volume control isn’t all the way up?

Or is the Freya only putting out what I control with the new volume control? I realize that’s what’s getting to my amplifiers, but is the preamp running full voltage all the time?

I appreciate some input thanks.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
You might replace it with a Topping Pre90 with/without an Ext90. Similar features, much better UI.

OP
D

Deleted member 43441

You might replace it with a Topping Pre90 with/without an Ext90. Similar features, much better UI.

Ugh! I passed that up because it had a desktop look to it, and not enough inputs unless I purchased the extender.

I also have the D90 DAC and I can’t get used to the volume control Kal… call me old school, but I still like a full-size preamp for my two channel set up.

What else could I do short of getting the new Topping, is there a decent digital volume control that won’t degrade my sound?

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
“ know that I would leave the preamp volume all the way up, or nearly all the way up so my next question is… Is the preamp passing full voltage if it’s on full volume, even if the new volume control isn’t all the way up?”

Of course it is. How would it “know” what your downstream volume control was doing?

OP
D

Deleted member 43441

“ know that I would leave the preamp volume all the way up, or nearly all the way up so my next question is… Is the preamp passing full voltage if it’s on full volume, even if the new volume control isn’t all the way up?”

Of course it is. How would it “know” what your downstream volume control was doing?

Yes after hooking it up I figured that out lol. It works perfect this way, I just do not like not having a display of the volume. Headphone in desktop guys may be used to this, but in a home theater or two channel setting I’m not. Thanks for responding.

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I found I can have an inexpensive preamp that sounds good but if I want all the items on my wish list it’s not inexpensive any more. This is why I recently splurged on a $5k preamp.

OP
D

Deleted member 43441

I found I can have an inexpensive preamp that sounds good but if I want all the items on my wish list it’s not inexpensive any more. This is why I recently splurged on a $5k preamp.

I understand that for sure. I purchased a top-of-the-line Marantz pre-pro back in 2013, and I’m still running it, I also run a very nice tube preamp made by a private company. I have them going into high powered monoblocks, some of it Pascal class D, and some of it class A/B

So I just did an A/B test yesterday of my Marantz pre-pro, and the Freya on an XLR switcher, I could quickly switch between the two that way. After I got it leveled matched and did the switching I can hear no difference, that’s how good the Freya + is. I have a lot tied up in my set up, but what I’ve learned is especially anymore, high dollar doesn’t mean much. Look at the reviews, some $2500 DAC’s measuring mediocre, $1500 ones headless Panther review. Meanwhile a $400 topping leaves them in the dust.

The moral of the story is before I go drop 4000, 5000, or $6000 on my next pre-pro it’s going to measure better than most of them do now. That’s why I’m not getting rid of mine quite yet, and Atmos doesn’t interest me yet, I am happy running at 9.3 set up.

Chazz6

there’s no display to tell you how much volume I’m using, you can’t tell where the volume level is!

Freya+.jpg

Does the volume dial on the front panel move when you use the remote volume control? That's how a couple of pieces of gear I've had work. If so, put a piece of masking tape at the dot so you can see it from your seat.

OP
D

Deleted member 43441

Does the volume dial on the front panel move when you use the remote volume control? That's how a couple of pieces of gear I've had work. If so, put a piece of masking tape at the dot so you can see it from your seat.

Hmm that would be freaky if it did, but I’m going to look.

OP
D

Deleted member 43441

You're a genius! Yes it does move… so now it needs a mark on it that I can see.

Thanks, I had no idea it moved.

I would still like to wire a volume display into this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom