• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I need some advice on desktop speakers

wildgoose

I need some advice on desktop speakers.

I'm very new when it comes to world of audio so any input is much appreciated. I will be using them for my desktop. Mostly for listening to music, watching a movie or gaming. I've been looking at the Edifier S360DB because of form factor but I read that the quality isn't good and someone recommended the PSB Alpha AM3 on a different forum.

I read amirm's PSB Alpha P3 review and he's not recommending it. People are voting poor (headless panther). I'm having seconds thoughts about the PSB Alpha AM3 since it's from the same company.

Is this a good purchase for 380 Euro (Netherlands) or are there better alternatives? Tbh I'm kind of overwhelmed with the choices. PSB Alpha AM3 looks nice because it has a remote and Bluetooth capability. If there is something much better but without the remote or Bluetooth I don't mind. Right now I'm looking for something compact that I can put on my desk. Budget is around 500 Euro. I don't mind stretching my budget further if it really makes the difference in quality.

Right now I am using DT 1990 PRO and I love the sound signature.

Last edited:

REK2575

I have a pair of PSB Alpha P3s that I used for a year and then finally abandoned. The harsh highs that amir mentioned in his review matches my experience. The main virtue of these speakers as desktop speakers is their convenient size. Most everything else about them underdelivers, and they're overpriced to top it all off. Avoid.

I replaced them with a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 12.0s, which I've found a big improvement. They're a bit bigger and bulkier than the P3s, but the ragged highs are gone now. Overall I'm very happy with them.

jae

Major Contributor

(Don't even bother with anything below the red line)

igndex.png

3125b

Major Contributor
Around 500€ I'd go for a pair of Kali LP-6 v2 and an interface with balanced outputs like the Audient iD-4 MKII. With cables that would end up at about 550€, but the interface also has a decent headphone amp and inputs of course.
Sooner or later some stands would make sense, but you can buy those used.

Top Bottom