• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I need noice cancelling headphones for the office

OP
digitalfrost

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Got the WH-1000XM3 today. First impressions:

- Sound is not excellent, but also not bad. While differences are subtle, applying harman target takes out some of the boxiness that it has by default, it's bass heavy and not very detailed in the upper midrange, but for non-audiophiles it probably sounds good. Honestly, it's not too bad.
- Noise cancelling is impressive. I wasn't so convinced at first, because if you have nothing playing, you can still hear people talk. However if you have anything playing, even when quiet, everything outside is gone. I've sat in front of people moving their mouths and didn't hear anything except my music. Wow. Doors falling shut, which was a thing that pissed me off before, is now completely gone.
- Having NC active without any music feels weird, like my eardrums are being pulled outward. It's almost uncomfortable because it's strangely quiet.
- Ambient Sound mode is a nasty thing for offices. It even amplifies sound that is far away. I can spy on my co-workers talking while they think I have my headphones on and can't hear them.
- Found out a lot of co-workers already own the WH-1000XM2, one ordered an Avantree Leaf. It's a USB soundcard towards the computer, and connects via BT to the headphones. You can switch hands-free talking mode / headphone mode with a button. I will be testing the built-in microphones with this feature.
- If built-in mics are not good enough, I'll simply use the cheap company supplied headset as mic.

- The headphone turns off when you charge it, meaning you need a full battery to enjoy the features. Don't understand why I can't use and charge it at the same time.
- The supplied USB-C cable is a joke, it's like 10cm long.

- Earcups could be larger, but it's supposed to be portable and it's okay for what it is. My dream headphone is a Beyerdynamic DT990 with the features of the Sony and frequency response according to Harman.

mnemonix

Having NC active without any music feels weird, like my eardrums are being pulled outward..

The NC actually made me feel sick until I got used to it. It's a thing apparently, particularly if you're prone to motion sickness.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I missed this thread. The company bought a bunch of us the previous version of those Sony's for lab use (our lab has test equipment and a myriad of PCs and servers that are loud as all get-out). I don't know if it is true for your newer version, but one drawback of the ones we have is that you can't use them while charging. Even if you get a longer cable, the headphones are disabled whilst charging (!) Didn't know that when we got them...

dpippel

I missed this thread. The company bought a bunch of us the previous version of those Sony's for lab use (our lab has test equipment and a myriad of PCs and servers that are loud as all get-out). I don't know if it is true for your newer version, but one drawback of the ones we have is that you can't use them while charging. Even if you get a longer cable, the headphones are disabled whilst charging (!) Didn't know that when we got them...

The WH-1000MX3 has the same problem.

lukyjohnson

since you have sizing issues, you'll be happy to know you can get some IEM's that have excellent noise isolation that are under $200. check out the Etymotic ER2 and ER3 series. the SE is a more neutral sound profile while the RX has a heavier bass presence. these fit deep into your ear canals and with their ear tip baffles create silence. just note that you will likely read about comfort issues...that's because they need to be inserted a specific way and most people are just used to sticking em in and going. :)

NDC

since you have sizing issues, you'll be happy to know you can get some IEM's that have excellent noise isolation that are under $200. check out the Etymotic ER2 and ER3 series. the SE is a more neutral sound profile while the RX has a heavier bass presence. these fit deep into your ear canals and with their ear tip baffles create silence. just note that you will likely read about comfort issues...that's because they need to be inserted a specific way and most people are just used to sticking em in and going. :)

The ER2s and other deep insertion IEMs can also cause wax buildup and compaction. I learnt this the hard way after having to see the audiologist today to get my ears cleaned out due to a pretty bad wax blockage in my left ear caused by deep insertion... they advised me to be careful with the Etymotics. I’m sticking to my shallow IEMs for now. A bit of a bummer as I loved the way the ER2XR sounded.

edit: I should mention, many people use the Etymotics and have no issues - I might be a unique case, so YMMV. However my audiologist was pretty sure they were the cause, as I’ve never had an issue until the last couple weeks when I started using them.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
For android users I suggest using Wavelet with the WH-1000MX3's it uses AutoEq's data to equalize it to the Harman Curve 2018 headphones curve. These really need that.

jcebedo11

Sound quality wise the Sony WH-1000 are horrible! The midrange is completely colored due to the exaggerated bass. Id rather use in ears like the KZ ZS10 pro. In ears for me provide sufficient noise isolation. The Sonys are tuned to sound good on Hip Hop/Rap/EDM.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Sonys are tuned to sound good on Hip Hop/Rap/EDM.

Among other genres I do listen to Hip Hop/Rap/EDM and trust me the Sonys don't sound good at all for any genre of music out of the box.
Their FR response without EQ is irrational at best : it doesn't conform to anything that can be justified by musical genres preferences, user preferences, or personalised HRTFs.

xykreinov

Forum Donor
Among other genres I do listen to Hip Hop/Rap/EDM and trust me the Sonys don't sound good at all for any genre of music out of the box.
Their FR response without EQ is irrational at best : it doesn't conform to anything that can be justified by musical genres preferences, user preferences, or personalised HRTFs.
This. "Tuning for a genre" never works- it's audiophoolery. If a song doesn't tonally sound good through a neutral (i.e. Harman conforming, in the case of headphones) transducer, that's its problem, not the transducer's.
I have the 1000XM3, and I can only comfortably listen to them when I've tuned them to the Harman target with parametric eq. Once there, they're alright.
But, the 1000XM4 is much more neutral than the 1000XM3 ootb, with much more subdued bass. Whether this is Sony learning from their mistake, or planned obsolescence, we can never be sure.

Top Bottom