• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I need help with MiniDSP DDRC-24 setup (I am a complete n00b and really confused with this stuff)

Scifi

I wasn't going to make a thread and was actually still doing research, looking at the manual and tutorials, reading several recommended threads, and talking with a few audio members of the forum via PM for help before doing so, but I'm still absolutely stomped and overwhelmed on how to use my MiniDSP DDRC-24 to measure and calibrate the room. It seems my learning disability has really gotten the best of me this time.

So far, I was recommended to connect my equipment like this for initial setup:
Laptop to UMIK via USB
Laptop to miniDSP via USB
miniUSB to speakers and subwoofers on the output side

My end goal after the initial setup is to have it like this:
- Disconnect Laptop from TV, MiniDSP, and UMIK-1 when done setup.
- Put the UMIK-1 mic away in storage when done setup.
- Connect MiniDSP to the 2 subs and 2 speakers (connected to power amp) via 4 RCA outs permanently
- Connect MiniDSP to TV via Optical permanently

I have a 2.2 channel setup:
- a 4K TV
- a 2 channel preamp - Emotiva TA-100
- a 2 channel power amp - Emotiva A-300
- 4 different pairs of bookshelf speakers that I switch between
- 2 Rythmik L12 subwoofers

I have 2 stands in my living room:
- a 24 inch glass stand
- an adjustable tripod stand - at max height (around 48 inch)

My 2.2 setup will look like one of these:
2 ELAC speakers - 24 inch Glass Stand - 2 subwoofers
2 KEF speakers - 24 inch Glass Stand - 2 subwoofers
2 JBL speakers - 24 inch Glass Stand - 2 subwoofers
2 Klipsch speakers - 48 inch Adjustable Tripod Stand - 2 subwoofers

I have 4 pairs of speakers that are 4 ohms, 6 ohms, and 8 ohms.
Each pair of speakers is connected to my system one pair at a time, never simultaneously due to room, equipment, and hardware limitations.

I switch between a pair of speakers by manually unplugging banana plugs from the bookshelf speakers and setting them aside, and grabbing another set of bookshelf speakers and then plugging in the banana plugs into those.

How do I set things up to get 4 configs in Dirac Live! and REW for these 4 different kinds of 2.2 setups?

For setting up the speakers and subwoofers, can someone please provide me a simple numbered list of instructions from start to finish for my situation?

(example:
1. Open rew and do this,
2. Open Dirac and do that,
3. Run test,
4. Repeat process with other speakers,
5. Do such and such.....)

Last edited:

holbob

- Put the UMIK-1 mic away in storage when done setup.
I'm afraid to inform you that the above will not be happening. Its only fair to warn you on what is about to happen.

1646484241260.png

Bye, bye friend.

OP
S

Scifi

I'm afraid to inform you that the above will not be happening. Its only fair to warn you on what is about to happen.

View attachment 190561

Bye, bye friend.

What?! Are you serious?
I asked the manufacturer about this and even they implied that it was possible to have things set up like this after the calibration is complete.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
What?! Are you serious?
I asked the manufacturer about this and even they implied that it was possible to have things set up like this after the calibration is complete.
Take another look at his post! He is showing a squirrel looking down a rabbit hole! It’s a joke my friend. You always want to smile just before you go a little crazy! :cool:

Top Bottom