• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I need help, should I return my X4700H?

Scubaduderon

I've had my x4700h for a few months, and I've recently noticed that I get soft, extremely distorted sound from my surround speakers while watching CNN, MSNBC and the like. Is this normal, or should I return my unit for a new one? It only seems to happen with audio coming from certain cable channels, ones which may not have any surround signal. I just put on a superman movie on cable and it was fine. Netflix, hulu, Amazon prime, all being streamed, are fine.

Last edited:

MASKINEN

Well it sounds like you hear this when you play a stereo signal in surround mode. The receiver creates a surround sound from the stereo input signal. If that’s the case, then I would say it’s normal.

But I’d it’s not a stereo signal then yes something could be wrong.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
S

Scubaduderon

Thanks guys. How can you tell if its a stereo signal vs surround? I've got it set to auto, which I believe detects the signal and adapts accordingly.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks guys. How can you tell if its a stereo signal vs surround? I've got it set to auto, which I believe detects the signal and adapts accordingly.
Hi the "INFO" button on your AVR's remote. It should show you details about the incoming signal, including how many individual channels it contains.

Or just use the "AVR Remote" app on your phone or tablet to display this info.

Third option is by logging into the AVR via your web browser - just need to know its IP address.

Last edited:
Top Bottom