• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I need a new mic-interface-laptop!

linear diver

I was just getting started with REW and measurement, when my 'test' system was stolen. Gone is ... An old mac laptop, an M-Audio interface, and (ouch!) a sE8 small diaphragm condenser mic. And a book about Charlie Watts!

I needed to get a new measurement mic anyway.

One option for the computer is another 'obsolete' used laptop and a simple usb interface (w/ phantom) for measurement, not necessarily recording. Scarlett?

But, for a few hundred bucks more, I am leaning toward a current M1 Macbook Air, and using my existing UAD Apollo Solo (Thunderbolt) for the IF. -- But I'm open minded!

Anyway, as far as the mic ... Which to get? the Dayton or the Soundworks (which might be the same mic???).

Bamboszek

Almost everything will do fine for measurements, even cheap Behringers.
But why not miniDSP UMIK-1? You won't need interface and it comes with calibration file.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
There is a potential advantage to a USB measurement mic - It's calibrated for SPL. When you're using an interface the digital level depends on the gain. And it's cheaper.

Last edited:
OP
L

linear diver

I was thinking of a mic-pre combination mostly because that is what I'm used to. If I use a USB mic, how do I feed the device under test?

Bamboszek

Calibration for SPL is indeed huge upside of USB mic. There are two downsides tho:
-No timing reference
-Two different input and output devices. Some software like Sonarworks requires integrated AD/DA with synced clock.

You can't go wrong with any interface - Audient iD4, Focusrite 2i2 or even dirt cheap Behringer UMC202HD. Any of them should work flawlessly for measurements. If you really want best one check Julian Krause reviews.
But if you have UAD already I think there is no point in getting another one.

More expensive units from Motu or RME offers digitally controlled mic gain with might be handy.
I hated to dial gain by analog knob. Now in MOTU UltraLite-mk4 I can remember exact number and get exact same SPL levels every time when I connect my microphone.

Top Bottom