• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I might build a NAS/media server. Would you use this???

OP
S

SPOautos

Well I've been busy buying parts! I basically started finding great deals on stuff and am now building a box way more capable than I started out looking for....BUT it can do a lot more than just sit there storing files so I'm glad I am doing more with it. Itll be more useful this way.

I have....
Fractal Design 7 case
Fractal Design 760 watt psu
Asus x99 Deluxe ii motherboard
Xeon e5-2690v3 CPU with Noctua fan
G Skill Trident Z 4x8gb
Four 6Tb hgst hdds
Samsung 970 eco plus nvme ssd 500gb
256gb ssd
Asus strix rx580 oc GPU

I like that the mb supposedly has very good audio quality with the audio components seperated from the rest of the board and high quality caps, also has a toslink which I can hook up to my Yamaha wxc-50.

I think I've fully decided to run Unraid OS so I can run Plex in a docker and a virtual Windows 10 for gaming and maybe Roon.

Should be pretty sweet! I'm excited about it.

It's basically turned into a NAS/media server/ gaming capable box....all in one rig. With components that have rgb and gaming capable, my teen son became interested so now it's a project him and I will be doing together.....which makes it all worth it. :)

Attachments

• 20200706_110607.jpg
    20200706_110607.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 106

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Xeon e5-2690v3 CPU

I think you need the v4 Xeon, not the v3. See CPU compatibility here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/X99-DELUXE-II/HelpDesk_CPU/

v3 is Haswell based Xeon: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-processor-e5-2690-v3-30m-cache-2-60-ghz.html

v4 is Broadwell based Xeon: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-processor-e5-2690-v4-35m-cache-2-60-ghz.html

*edit* That said, some of the other CPUs on the compatibility list are v3 Haswell based CPUs, so you might be OK.

OP
S

SPOautos

Thought I'd give this an update!

Got the server all built, have Unraid running on it. Lots of movies saved to it with Plex all set up and tied into our TV. Now I'm going to start integrating it into my 2 channel stereo system for music.

Does anyone have thoughts regarding if I should do the d/a converting at the computer or at the Yamaha wxc-50? The computer audio is just the built in motherboard audio but its supposedly pretty good....
"Audio on the X99-Deluxe II utilizes a Realtek ALC1150 codec along with a Texas Instruments R45801 amplifier and an assortment of Nichicon Gold series electrolytic audio capacitors. The motherboard also has a physical divider for each of the audio channels and to separate the audio plane from the rest of the motherboard."

I suppose the options are computer to amp using rca....or computer to Yamaha wxc-50 with toslink or digital coax them to the amp. Which, the wxc-50 does add a lot of convience with a remote and such....but I care more about sound quality than convenience.

OP
S

SPOautos

Has a light show, my son liked that....and well, it grew on me....I love how clean it all looks with the Define R7 case.....Also, I cant hear it running at all unless I get a foot from it. I adjusted settings to turn the fans (including GPU) to 100% and while I could certainly hear it then, it was still pretty quiet and not obnoxious at all. That MIGHT happen with gaming, but sitting there even moving TB's of data to it while playing 4k videos in Plex, and a Win10 VM going.... I still cant hear it at all. Pretty dang happy with it. I spent more that I originally wanted but it grew into something more useful that just a nas file storage so that's fine.

Attachments

• 20200926_091940.jpg
    20200926_091940.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 111
  • 20200926_091826.jpg
    20200926_091826.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 104

bigguyca

Has a light show, my son liked that....and well, it grew on me....I love how clean it all looks with the Define R7 case.....Also, I cant hear it running at all unless I get a foot from it. I adjusted settings to turn the fans (including GPU) to 100% and while I could certainly hear it then, it was still pretty quiet and not obnoxious at all. That MIGHT happen with gaming, but sitting there even moving TB's of data to it while playing 4k videos in Plex, and a Win10 VM going.... I still cant hear it at all. Pretty dang happy with it. I spent more that I originally wanted but it grew into something more useful that just a nas file storage so that's fine.

A wonderful case! Among other qualities: quiet, easy to install components, easy to clean fan filters.

OP
S

SPOautos

A wonderful case! Among other qualities: quiet, easy to install components, easy to clean fan filters.

Yes, it really is! The last time I messed with a computer was 15 years ago and it was nothing like this....the cable management, hdd trays, all the space, hidden psu, filters, sound deadening....just excellent! I wasnt planning on spending $150 on a case but I'm glad you guys suggested it and pointed me to Fractal Design cases....being in my living room it's good to spend the extra for something that looks great and super quiet.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Looks like a neat build.
I suppose the options are computer to amp using rca....or computer to Yamaha wxc-50 with toslink or digital coax them to the amp. Which, the wxc-50 does add a lot of convience with a remote and such....but I care more about sound quality than convenience.
It's hard to give a solid recommendation when neither the mobo nor the wxc-50 have been tested. If the wxa-50 review is anything to go by the DAC is ok but not great, within the spread of mobo onboard audio implementations, so it could go either way. Try it and see - the toslink will avoid any ground related issues (typically hum, or intermittent noise when doing something like moving the mouse) which may trump other sound quality considerations. Coax digital may or may not provide the same isolation - I've seen some mobos with a transformer on the spdif out, and some without.

Top Bottom