• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I measured the deviation of 6 Earthworks microphones.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have measured and reviewed more than 100 loudspeakers so far. (For Korea)
But the reason why I don't post it all on ASR is because I feel burdened to use English.
Do you have these speaker measurements posted somewhere? I cannot read Korean, but I can interpret data :)

tehas

A bit off topic, I hope its OK. I've always read about Earthworks microphones being trusted and well loved, so I investigated purchasing one for myself, more of an investment because I will use it for speakers, room, etc. I came across an interesting update to their warranty ( https://earthworksaudio.com/support/faq/ ) - it has been reduced from 10 years to 2 years for units manufactured after 1 Feb 2023. Would you be concerned by this?

PS: I was and I emailed them to ask whats going on. I got an answer that can only be described as top shelf corporate BS.

NoiseBoyJohn

Forgive me if I missed it, but how/what exactly did the OP use as the source with which to measure each microphone's response? Some of the Earthworks mics are showing responses out to 30kHz, so how did the OP generate that signal? I have 3 Behringer ECM8000 microphones and I'd like to repeat the OP's test with my mics, but even though there are a lot of photos and other information about the test procedure in this thread already, I'm still missing the big picture. Could someone describe the full test rig for me or point me to another thread which has those details?

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
Forgive me if I missed it, but how/what exactly did the OP use as the source with which to measure each microphone's response? Some of the Earthworks mics are showing responses out to 30kHz, so how did the OP generate that signal? I have 3 Behringer ECM8000 microphones and I'd like to repeat the OP's test with my mics, but even though there are a lot of photos and other information about the test procedure in this thread already, I'm still missing the big picture. Could someone describe the full test rig for me or point me to another thread which has those details?
I'm using Klippel's dB-Lab software and DA2 hardware, and I'm also using REW with Earthworks' M30.

The speakers used for the measurements are Adam's A4Vs, which are capable of reproducing up to 48 kHz.

NoiseBoyJohn

Ah, so you did literally measure the output of a single speaker with each microphone and that is why you worked very hard to position each microphone in the exact same place. In that case, I think I could try using one of my KEF 150 speakers as the source as I really just want to make sure that there are no large variations between my three microphones. My use case is measuring live sound systems, often installed in rooms, so small mic-to-mic variations will be swamped by level differences from different mic positions in the room(s).

Speedskater

Major Contributor
the ADAM Audio A4V 4-inch Powered Studio Monitor is a two-way system.
The Earthworks paper writes about only using a single driver at a time.

The high frequency setup (1 kHz and up) utilizes a dome tweeter that is good out to 40 kHz.
This is flush mounted in 1.2 x 2.4 m (four by eight feet) baffle.

The low to mid frequency setup utilizes a small cone loudspeaker mounted in a
2.4 x 2.4 m (eight by eight feet) baffle with the same care to avoid surface irregularities

Impossible

OK to anyone who understands the graphs which of these mic's is the best between 10hz and 20khz?

mk1classic

OK to anyone who understands the graphs which of these mic's is the best between 10hz and 20khz?
For XLR interface: Earthworks M23 for testing with calibration file, or the more expensive M23R for less calibration requirement (but calibration still required)
For USB interface: UMIK-2, but USB is not always wanted due to clock discrepancies between output DAC vs input ADC in USB mics.

Impossible

Thank you for your response.

Does the earthworks come with a calibration mic?

If I'm using dirac how do I use xlr? I always found umik2 problematic.

Trell

Major Contributor
Thank you for your response.

Does the earthworks come with a calibration mic?

If I'm using dirac how do I use xlr? I always found umik2 problematic.

The Earthworks measurements microphones comes with a calibration certificate and by contacting Earthworks you can get a calibration file for that specific microphone.

It's worth noticing that the calibration is at 0 degrees incidence (point at source) and not 90 degrees used for room EQ. However, for my M23R I got a calculated/measured one as the M23R already have so very tight tolerances.

Earthworks do offer calibration at 90 degrees but then you've to pay for that.

To use an Earthworks measurement microphone you need an audio interface.

Trell

Major Contributor
What's the cost approximate to get 90 calculated file?

I did not have to pay for calculated 90 degrees calibration, but otherwise the price was USD $75 a couple of years ago for their measurements microphones. I assume that transportation costs has to be added if you don't buy from them directly or can do this trough a retailer before you place the order.

To confirm I think you should contact Earthworks support: https://earthworksaudio.com/support/contact/

Impossible

That's great.

Dirac I use with a usb mic as plug it direct into laptop.

How do I connect the earthworks?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You will need an audio recording interface that has a mic preamp and phantom power. Something like a Focusrite 2i2 or similar. That will then connect to a computer via USB.

BTW what was problematic about the Umik?

Impossible

does Focusrite 2i2 do any computing on the signal such as analogue to digital conversion. Do you know if it effects the outcome?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
does Focusrite 2i2 do any computing on the signal such as analogue to digital conversion. Do you know if it effects the outcome?
It has an analog microphone preamp. That is then sent to an ADC to convert to digital. The device is relatively low in distortion and noise with flat frequency response. So it does not have much in the way of distorting the signal from the microphone. The newest model of it has an AIR function which just alters frequency response, but you can leave it turned off. They sale for around $125 most places.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
would this setup with the scarlett be more accurate then a umik 2?
Somewhat yes. Mainly because the Earthworks is one of the more accurate microphones you can get. Is it a big difference? Probably not. Measuring loudspeakers is influenced by other things so extreme accuracy makes less difference. I've used a Umik 1, and they are fine for the purpose. That is why I asked what issues you had with the Umik 2. It may be the Earthworks and an interface don't give results that differ much from the Umik for use with Dirac.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are your Umik 2 issues those discussed in this thread? They did have some firmware issues that were said to be fixed.

You could also consider the Dayton Audio measurement microphone which is less expensive, but works with the Focusrite. Getting it from Cross Spectrum labs is a good idea as the provide better calibration than a stock Dayton mic. The calibration is of the actual microphone you purchase.

Top Bottom