• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I may not pass a Blind test.

• Thread starter Deleted member 28849
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 28849

Being a Golden Ear as you all know, I may not be able to pass a Blind test in audio. However when I acustom myself to a Source for say like 2 weeks (Amazon HD) then switch to my Leawo Blu ray player using my own music files. I can hear the difference almost instantly. Whereas if I were switching back & forth maybe not.

And I don't know if I could tell subtle differences with unfamiliar equipment. With my own stereo setup I'm confident I can tell audio differences.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Funny I, was doing that yesterday, with youtube, listening to jean michel jarre, 'oxygene' and by time I started to listen to 'rendez vous' while watching the frequency response TrueRTA I noticed the frequncy looked odd on youtube and that is really down to the upload of what device was used to rip/capture copy the music with not really the youtube. It was missing few high frequencies and I placed in the CD into the many players I have the Sony BDP player and was seeing up to 21KHz, with few of the 'rendez vous'. The youtube is meh, okay if one doesn't own it they can listen and if they like it buy it on CD, compact cassette, LP.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Bias in action

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Born2Run, I know you came a long way since your first posts and I am now sure that you are not a troll...;)
Still,
I can hear the difference almost instantly.
Because you know you just switched to another gear.
Whereas if I were switching back & forth maybe not.
Seems fair if there would be no difference to be heard whatsoever. (I'm not saying there isn't)
With my own stereo setup I'm confident I can tell audio differences.
I would say you're not that confident since you say by yourself that you wouldn't pass a blind test. And that is the all point of controlled listening: Your self-evaluated confidence doesn't matter at all.;)

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Being a Golden Ear as you all know, I may not be able to pass a Blind test in audio. However when I acustom myself to a Source for say like 2 weeks (Amazon HD) then switch to my Leawo Blu ray player using my own music files. I can hear the difference almost instantly. Whereas if I were switching back & forth maybe not.

And I don't know if I could tell subtle differences with unfamiliar equipment. With my own stereo setup I'm confident I can tell audio differences.

You can smear out a blind test over months. Not many folks do this. I did this by accident many many years ago.

All I can say is your test is not blind, you KNOW what is playing. Remove the 'knowing' part.

OP
D

Deleted member 28849

I doctor my favorite recordings, tweak the treble and mid-range upwards. I could tell almost instantly that my music has more vitality to it. Which I find much more engaging to listen to, and it seems to me the sound envelopes the room better at higher spl.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would appreciate if we refrain from overusing the term "golden" lest it leads us into discussions of certain practices, or a certain dossier...

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Like solderdude says, there's no "rule" that requires short-term tests or quick switching.

However, the people who routinely do these kinds of tests have discovered that it's usually easier to "pass" with quick-switching. Our memory of audio details fades-fast. Maybe long-term listening works better for you but it's unlikely. (It's also a popular "audiophile" excuse. ;) )

I doctor my favorite recordings, tweak the treble and mid-range upwards. I could tell almost instantly that my music has more vitality to it. Which I find much more engaging to listen to, and it seems to me the sound envelopes the room better at higher spl.
OK. Sometimes there ARE audible differences and sometimes gross differences, especially if they are intentional. Nobody is going to question that! Mixing and mastering engineers make lots of adjustments and use many different effects and although they may A/B they rarely blind-test.

Of if you say, "I'm hearing a buzz in the left channel", or "these speakers have no bass", probably nobody will question you or "demand" a blind test.

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
I would appreciate if we refrain from overusing the term "golden" lest it leads us into discussions of certain practices, or a certain dossier...
How about diamond ears. At least its clear and transparent than dense thick golden-ears. All that golden stuff is the bees wax down their ear canals.

audio2design

Major Contributor
I believe based on current audio parlance and the lowering of gold in the audiophile world, we should be calling them Rhodium ears.

OP
D

Deleted member 28849

Like solderdude says, there's no "rule" that requires short-term tests or quick switching.

However, the people who routinely do these kinds of tests have discovered that it's usually easier to "pass" with quick-switching. Our memory of audio details fades-fast. Maybe long-term listening works better for you but it's unlikely.

OK. Sometimes there ARE audible differences and sometimes gross differences, especially if they are intentional. Nobody is going to question that! Mixing and mastering engineers make lots of adjustments and use many different effects and although they may A/B they rarely blind-test.

Of if you say, "I'm hearing a buzz in the left channel", or "these speakers have no bass", probably nobody will question you or "demand" a blind test.

What I am trying to say is that yeah audio memory is short. But switching relatively in or short time or On the Fly differences may not be immediately apparent. Like listening to Amazon HD didn't seem that much different than listening to my collection. Getting acustom to the sound over time (2 weeks) then switching over, I can tell the difference.

Same when I listened to my CD player exclusively then had to send to shop for repair. So I had to use at the time my Digital Player. It was apparent to me all the time while my CD Player was gone how much better sounding it is than using the Digital Player.

When I purchased my speakers took like 2 weeks or close to 100 hours then the speakers just seemed to open up substantially. Break In or just took that long for my mind to adjust to a new sound, but I heard the difference non the less.

velasfloyd

What I am trying to say is that yeah audio memory is short. But switching relatively in or short time or On the Fly differences may not be immediately apparent. Like listening to Amazon HD didn't seem that much different than listening to my collection. Getting acustom to the sound over time (2 weeks) then switching over, I can tell the difference.

Same when I listened to my CD player exclusively then had to send to shop for repair. So I had to use at the time my Digital Player. It was apparent to me all the time while my CD Player was gone how much better sounding it is than using the Digital Player.

When I purchased my speakers took like 2 weeks or close to 100 hours then the speakers just seemed to open up substantially. Break In or just took that long for my mind to adjust to a new sound, but I heard the difference non the less.

Just remove the fact that you know what you are listening and you will not know what you are listening!! Thats it.

Example. Connect the device you want to compare and let another one ready to switch. Then explain this to someone that lives with you. Tell him/her that change the connection every sunday, and sometimes dont change at all, but dont tell you nothing about it.

So there you have it, every week you can listen without knowing which one you are listening. Listen at the volume you want and listen the music you want….. every week write which one you think you were listening to….

After some months you will find your rate of success will be 0.5… in other words…. Just guessing.
If you remove your brain from the equation you will realize human ears are poor.
Then you can ask your car or dog and they probably were be able to actually listen the difference

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Andysu

Major Contributor
I just gonna say it. So many faceless so and so audiophiles on this site, that gives me the shits. I like to know whom I am addressing not some born2run with cockroach bug as avatar.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to think listening to stuff over a longer period was perhaps a valid comparison, but it doesn't stand up to logical scrutiny and in the end it became obvious all I was evaluating was my mood since the SQ changed even when the system hadn't so I canned it as a worthwhile escapade.
The audible differences on direct comparison in a blind test are the ones that are logically credible. Anything else, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom