• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I may not pass a Blind test.

• Thread starter Deleted member 28849
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Being a Golden Ear as you all know, I may not be able to pass a Blind test in audio. However when I acustom myself to a Source for say like 2 weeks (Amazon HD) then switch to my Leawo Blu ray player using my own music files. I can hear the difference almost instantly. Whereas if I were switching back & forth maybe not.

And I don't know if I could tell subtle differences with unfamiliar equipment. With my own stereo setup I'm confident I can tell audio differences.

You can easily make that a blind test.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
However when I acustom myself to a Source for say like 2 weeks (Amazon HD) then switch to my Leawo Blu ray player using my own music files. I can hear the difference almost instantly. Whereas if I were switching back & forth maybe not.

It's quite easy to check, even if it may take longer. Get used to a music source, then a friend rolls the dice and if the number is even, source A is selected (otherwise B), of course without you noticing anything.

Since you hear the difference immediately, a test round is over quickly.
You simply repeat this 10-16 times and then you know once and for all whether a difference is audible.

Since you are quite sure you hear a difference immediately, the result could also be available sooner, namely when you are wrong the first time ;)

OP
D

Deleted member 28849

I just gonna say it. So many faceless so and so audiophiles on this site, that gives me the shits. I like to know whom I am addressing not some born2run with cockroach bug as avatar.

I'm not a Troll.
Here is a photo of James Tanner of Bryston & World's #1 Audiophile. I was auditioning the Bryston Model T passive speakers.
James Tanner (3).jpg

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Being a Golden Ear as you all know, I may not be able to pass a Blind test in audio. However when I acustom myself to a Source for say like 2 weeks (Amazon HD) then switch to my Leawo Blu ray player using my own music files. I can hear the difference almost instantly. Whereas if I were switching back & forth maybe not.

And I don't know if I could tell subtle differences with unfamiliar equipment. With my own stereo setup I'm confident I can tell audio differences.

Sigh.

For the 10 billionth time --- None of those things are deficits of blind tests.

Also, by this method you could easily be comparing two different masterings. That's a mistake if your goal is to compare two playback sources.

Anyway. Use the same mastering for both. Accustom yourself as long as you want. Use you own equipment. Then match the output levels to within 0.01 dB. THEN do the blind test. Tell us what happens.

Or better yet, learn more about how blind tests are done, before making up tiresome straw men like this.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I doctor my favorite recordings, tweak the treble and mid-range upwards. I could tell almost instantly that my music has more vitality to it. Which I find much more engaging to listen to, and it seems to me the sound envelopes the room better at higher spl.

Of course if you 'doctor' a recording via EQ changes, it will sound different after the 'doctoring' (unlike 'doctoring' quackery like upsampling).

Stop trolling.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
You can easily make that a blind test.

I agree! It does not have to be done in a secret room at MIT. People make it way too hard thinking that people can tell a difference much easier than they can. Speakers are the main identifiable piece of equipment. Preach it Wes!

OP
D

Deleted member 28849

After the revelation that I prefer the higher mid-range output of my tweaked recordings to Amazon HD. I have boosted the mid-range to +3 on my mixer for Amazon HD and after listening for 2 days I am quite pleased with how it sounds. IMO this is the best I have ever heard my stereo sound. And I'm quite sure I could pick out Amazon HD 10 out of 10 times in a blind test because the bass output has more vibe to it.

I can't do a blind test, because I have no friends.:(

BrEpBrEpBrEpBrEp

After the revelation that I prefer the higher mid-range output of my tweaked recordings to Amazon HD. I have boosted the mid-range to +3 on my mixer for Amazon HD and after listening for 2 days I am quite pleased with how it sounds. IMO this is the best I have ever heard my stereo sound. And I'm quite sure I could pick out Amazon HD 10 out of 10 times in a blind test because the bass output has more vibe to it.

You can blind test two audio files very easily. foobar2000 or abxtests.com both allow this. However, there's no point for two different sources/masters because the difference will probably be quite noticeable. If you do it, make sure to match the volume levels of the two files as best as you can using Audacity or some similar program.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor

Please explain exactly what the point/objective/intentions is/are for this thread?

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Turns out I can pass a blind abx amp test for two similarly measuring amps (tested via audio precision on site...but kind of new to that so something may be off). I got 10/10 correct. It was the crown amp on the bottom vs the Marantz refurbished amp.

Seriously, anyone around the Phoenix area, these listening tests are going to happen a lot more often. It was super fun!

F685C75C-A1A2-4510-9F2C-95B91DC329D3.jpeg

BinkieHuckerback

Turns out I can pass a blind abx amp test for two similarly measuring amps (tested via audio precision on site...but kind of new to that so something may be off). I got 10/10 correct.

Seriously, anyone around the Phoenix area, these listening tests are going to happen a lot more often. It was super fun!

View attachment 134190
Who listens to music like this?!

Jdunk54nl

Jdunk54nl

May we know a little more about this? What these amps were, and their measurements for that matter? Thanks.
Older Marantz that has been gone through and most things replaced with exact new vs crown xls 1502. Measured via audio precision on site for the general window 4 measurement window Amir dows, both had about 75db sinad and very similar frequency response. The Marantz did have a wide q 0.25db dip around 1khz though.

Also level matched to 0.1db and using a purifi woofer with a good ring radiator tweeter in a to spec box.

It was very fun to have all of those things on site to measure the exact things.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Turns out I can pass a blind abx amp test for two similarly measuring amps (tested via audio precision on site...but kind of new to that so something may be off). I got 10/10 correct. It was the crown amp on the bottom vs the Marantz refurbished amp.

View attachment 134190

Fantastic! I wish I had something like this near me. I tried unsuccessfully to setup a GTG in may :(.

Also, wth are those crazy looking speakers?!?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Older Marantz that has been gone through and most things replaced with exact new vs crown xls 1502. Measured via audio precision on site for the general window 4 measurement window Amir dows, both had about 75db sinad and very similar frequency response. The Marantz did have a wide q 0.25db dip around 1khz though.

Also level matched to 0.1db and using a purifi woofer with a good ring radiator tweeter in a to spec box.

It was very fun to have all of those things on site to measure the exact things.
What were the differences between amps that you could easily pickup? Which songs?

Jdunk54nl

What were the differences between amp that you could easily pickup? Which songs?
I am not sure of the song, but a crash cymbal didn't sound quite as clean on one song with the Marantz. Then some male vocals also sounded a little more distorted on another song.

Jdunk54nl

It was super hard to hear. The switcher could switch within a second, which made it super nice.
I've done the Harmon how to listen up to at least level 7 on all tests. Most are beyond that but not much higher.

We would have done an aiyima a07 and lepai 2020ti amp too, but their protection circuits didn't like something. Need to figure that out. There was about a 12v potential difference between those two amps and the Marantz/crown and the sleeve of the rca would cause the aiyima/lepai to go instantly to protect mode when connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom