• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I just want to be able to stream Spotify to my stereo while controlling it from my phone... what do I need?

krott5333

I don't want to mess with a lot of DIY stuff. I want something relatively cheap, but reliable and something that doesn't negatively affect sound quality.

I already have a DAC.

So I guess I need something that is compatible with Spotify Connect?

Will those AudioCast pucks work for this? I see they're about $40 on ebay.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yeah, if you can find one, Chromecast Audio works great! Assuming your DAC has optical input you just need a mini toslink-toslink cable.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, if you can find one, Chromecast Audio works great! Assuming your DAC has optical input you just need a mini toslink-toslink cable.
Does the CC handle gap less playback, I can recall that it didn’t when I had one?

the_hamster 2

Been streaming Spotify/Pandora for 3+ years from iPAd > CCA > DAC> preamp...best value in music-streaming I’ve seen yet.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I know you already have a dac, but some now have bluetooth compatibility, very useful.
Keith

Krusty09

Forum Donor
sonos connect on ebay for 50 bucks works great. if you still want updates you need to get an S2 ver which cost more. i have an old s1 and it works fine and the phone interface is perfect.

OP
K

krott5333

ordered a chromecast audio off of ebay. (and a toslink to mini toslink cable off amazon) thanks everyone

Last edited:
OP
K

krott5333

I'm surprised since this feature is build in in Spotify https://www.spotify.com/br/connect/
Yeah but you need something to connect to. I currently connect to my tv which is fine but I don't always want the tv display on. I ordered a chromecast audio but then I realized I only have one toslink input on my dac and I still want my tv hooked up to it, so I cancelled the order. I'll just deal with the tv being on for now since I listen to cds usually anyway

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah but you need something to connect to. I currently connect to my tv which is fine but I don't always want the tv display on. I ordered a chromecast audio but then I realized I only have one toslink input on my dac and I still want my tv hooked up to it, so I cancelled the order. I'll just deal with the tv being on for now since I listen to cds usually anyway
Spdif optical to coaxial converters exist, not that expensive. Or you can use a switch box, it should switch automatically when the TV is turned off.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Spdif optical to coaxial converters exist, not that expensive. Or you can use a switch box, it should switch automatically when the TV is turned off.
Yup. I have a couple. Work fine. 20 quid or so from amazon.

OP
K

krott5333

Cd transport is going into the coax on the dac. I do have an available usb input on the dac, so a streamer that'll work with that would be ideal.

Would a switch box affect sound quality? Probably not because it's digital?

bokolobs

Just a caveat, Spotify to Chromecast is limited to 256 kbps. Sonos Connect does Spotify Connect, which is the platform to stream "very high" quality (320 kbps). But that might change in the future with the announcement of HiFi.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a caveat, Spotify to Chromecast is limited to 256 kbps. Sonos Connect does Spotify Connect, which is the platform to stream "very high" quality (320 kbps).
It uses aac not ogg as well, at those bitrates it's all about the implementation rather than the headline numbers.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ordered a chromecast audio off of ebay. (and a toslink to mini toslink cable off amazon) thanks everyone
Side note, Amir's tests prove the Chromecast Audio as an excellent built in DAC. The THD/Noise are far below audibility. If your stereo has a spare analog input for the CCA that would allow you to continue using the optical with your TV, there is no reason not to do that.

Sprint

Forum Donor
I have a Sony TV that has built in Chromecast. I am not sure if it can do lossless when streamed using native Qobuz or Tidal APPs from my IPAD. Can CCA also handle lossless? Will there be any difference between Chromecast built in TV and CCA?

I have Genelec 8340 monitors that takes AES cable and I have 2 SVS subs corrected via MiniDSP DDRC24 which accepts a Toslink.

I just recently purchased RPI4, Topping D10s. An additional question, will the RPI4 -> Topping D10s which can do higher sampling rates 24/192 KHZ route sound better than the Sony Chromecast or CCA if it does lossless?

I was always under the impression Chromecast when driven by Native apps on Qobuz is always lossy. But was not sure about Tidal connect. Hence I went for the RPi4, Topping D10s route.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Top Bottom