• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I just want to be able to stream Spotify to my stereo while controlling it from my phone... what do I need?

gvl

Major Contributor
That is not true for me. I can connect to CCA from both my Mac and PC desktop clients directly with Spotify Connect. Here are screenshots. Spotify is not running on any of my mobile devices.

View attachment 116860View attachment 116859

I stand corrected. 100% sure this didn't work this way before, but things improved since I used Spotify desktop app last time which was a year ago. Seems they added Chromecast discovery since then, I just checked and my desktop app can see my CCAs.

bokolobs

Different codecs. 256kbps AAC stream that CCA gets is about the same or better than OGG Vorbis 320kbps that you get on desktop or other clients. For all practical purposes the quality can be considered the same.
That might be true. But you won't get gapless streaming in Spotify to CCA.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, but how long exactly? I have tested this myself, and the CCA will only play for a couple of songs and then stop if it detects that your phone is no longer on. So, while I agree the stream is flowing directly between the source and the CCA, for practical purposes you need to keep your phone ON and connected to the same wifi network if you want your CCA to keep playing.

I did a test just on this today. Tablet with Tidal app, set a playlist casting to my CCA then knocked the tablet wifi off. Music still playing fine after 90 minutes . Like I say, any stoppages will either be a the streaming service end (unlikely) or , more likely, the CCA lost wifi- anything less than being in the room with the router seems to cause it to periodically lose it, at which point the stream dies regardless if the drop in wifi is only for a short time.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I did a test just on this today. Tablet with Tidal app, set a playlist casting to my CCA then knocked the tablet wifi off. Music still playing fine after 90 minutes . Like I say, any stoppages will either be a the streaming service end (unlikely) or , more likely, the CCA lost wifi- anything less than being in the room with the router seems to cause it to periodically lose it, at which point the stream dies regardless if the drop in wifi is only for a short time.
Yes, I retested it myself yesterday after you posted, and can confirm your findings.

There must have been some glitch during my previous testing.

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have some CC and sonos multiroom, the sonos connect will go up to CD quality.
But you can go for the yamaha WXAD-10, theur music cast connect, it has RCA line out, DLNA supoort and can handle 24 bit if I remember right.

I never tetsted that one, but I test multicast system and it was good.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is not true for me. I can connect to CCA from both my Mac and PC desktop clients directly with Spotify Connect. Here are screenshots. Spotify is not running on any of my mobile devices.

View attachment 116860View attachment 116859
This does not work for me, the windows desktop is unaware of the CC until the phone starts casting to it, then it knows about it.
Wait, spotify windows just updated, and now it sees all the devices in the house it should have been seeing all along, they must have fixed it recently.

gvl

Major Contributor
It should be noted that, at least in my experience, CCA can be temperamental. It usually works fine until it doesn't, then it may take some dancing around to make it work again. My Wi-Fi is generally stable with other devices, not sure what the deal is.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It should be noted that, at least in my experience, CCA can be temperamental. It usually works fine until it doesn't, then it may take some dancing around to make it work again. My Wi-Fi is generally stable with other devices, not sure what the deal is.

Yup- my suspicion is it doesnt have the best of wifi antenna. Which in a device that is probably going to live behind/ in things, isnt ideal. Ive never had one that I have regularly tried to use for hours on end, but I know sometimes just finding it as a device can be tricky.

Its the perfect solution when it works but at times can be frustrating. Dont think I could have it as a main bridge to a stereo thats always on, like in a working from home office.

izeek

My solution is two-way.
I use a 1Mii B06 mini by receiver for casual listening. Uses aptX low-latency. It might not satisfy the most discerning audiophile but it works seamlessly.
When I want higher SQ for more critical listening, I use a 3.5mm-rca cable(25ft, you WILL need the length) plugged from my lg v50 to my pre so I can use its high-quad dac which to my ears is very good.
I'm sure there are high-quality bt receivers out there.
Hope that was helpful.

Top Bottom