• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I just cannot figure out how to find reflection points

marigolden

No matter what source I find that looks so promising, knowledgeable, and even straight forward, I just cannot understand how to figure it out for myself. This is what confuses me. The "mirror trick" I keep hearing about is with speakers in mind, but I'm not using speakers-- this room is for recording and when I listen it's with headphones. So, there's that. And then I also heard a tip that it's useful to use both acoustic foam panels in addition to rockwool panels. And of course, diffusers.
Can anyone give me a 2 year old's guide to piecing together exactly where to place what--and ideal material in those places and thickness? I do know that the ceiling, corners, and majority of all 4 walls should ideally be covered. I already have carpeting so that's not a concern.
This is for voiceover, I know that matters with frequency just not sure how one would calculate it into choosing what material and placement..

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Then reflections play a very small role. Certainly there is no point in trying to figure out first reflections and such. And don't worry about corners. Voices don't have a lot of low frequency to need absorption in those corners.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Only if it is overly live and it is hard to understand the person. Simple enough to try some absorption on the walls. Just record with and without and see which one you like better. This is about overall reflections, not any specific reflection point.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
90 percent of mic issues are fixed by getting closer to the mic. My Samson mic sucks at 1.5 feet and is fantastic at 6 inches.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A good compression + noise gate can help a lot in situations like yours.
What you hear is probably not much related to first reflections per se, but the total reverberation field of your room.

We use a DBX 286 in conjunction with a SM7B at work for voice overs, and in a normal untreated office room this makes a huge difference (always close mic, of course).
It also brings some more (relatively good quality) gain, which this low sensitivity mic desperatly needs.

localhost127

Then reflections play a very small role. Certainly there is no point in trying to figure out first reflections and such. And don't worry about corners. Voices don't have a lot of low frequency to need absorption in those corners.

this is a bit misleading. the issue isn't LF - it's that corners (eg, dihedral) are natually corner reflectors/retroreflectors and thus will inherently reflect the signal directly back to the source. if the source (mouth) is close to the receiver (mic), then there is possibility for the corner reflection's gain to be high enough and sufficiently delayed as to cause undesirable effect onto the recording.

absorption placed in corners isn't always to address axial modes that terminate in said corners, but to also address specular reflections that will automatically be reflected back to the source. but in small residential-sized rooms where many are performing at-home recording, LF absorption is also required as speech support can extend down to 80hz and also resonances from the small room can extend into mid-band.

recording is subjective, and without understanding the actual nature and characteristics of the recording room (and whether any tools such as gating is involved and actual microphone polar pattern), you really can't make a global claim that "there is no point trying to figure out first reflections" and to not worry about corners.

Last edited:

mixsit

Forum Donor
90 percent of mic issues are fixed by getting closer to the mic. My Samson mic sucks at 1.5 feet and is fantastic at 6 inches.
This, and also not mentioned, it will be much more effective to deploy some of those room treatment panels in close around you and the mic. Much easier to attenuate the room effects and get a cleaner source relatively, within a small controlled area. And don't forget the closest (and strongest) reflection is often the ceiling.

Top Bottom