• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I have questions!

OP
R

rfj1862

One other thing I would be looking at is speakers and sub integration.
Yes this is important to me. It subjectively sounds pretty decent but I don't have a reference to compare it to or any actual data

If I look at the photo you provided my first impression is that you're also hearing reflections from the walls directly in front of you
Is that really a major factor for a sealed speaker?

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Yes this is important to me. It subjectively sounds pretty decent but I don't have a reference to compare it to or any actual data

Is that really a major factor for a sealed speaker?
Yes, I do think so. You could easily check this by seeing how low your speakers go in Hz and crosscheck that with when sound becomes less directional. Ie the closer you get to bass the more sound radiates to the back.

Also the screens reflect sound. And your desktop certainly does.

Last edited:

PortaStudio

Yes I realize that the placement of the left speaker in the corner isn't ideal but it is literally the only place I can put these. I bought them before I moved into this house and this office. However, the studio I bought them from was using them near-field and I understand that a number of other professional audio engineers have used them this way. They are toed in to focus just behind my head. The speakers are sealed so I don't have any issues with a port on the back farting out bass. I will say that despite the placement the imaging is centered appropriately.
I see. In my experience near-field monitors are very dependent on correct placement. 'Near' being a relative term here, because you still need a good amount of distance from them (while keeping a perfect triangle) to get the sweetspot setup right. There is not much room for deviation when you want them to sound right/good. In your application I would consider going for more forgiving HiFi-speakers first and foremost. Sealing the Near-filed speakers doesn't do the job since you need at least a 15cm deep absorber + distance. But, if it works for you it's fine. I'm just saying, if you truely want to improve your sound the correct speakers, as well as correct placement is the ticket in my view.
I have another set of possibly more appropriate high-quality bookshelf speakers with concentric drivers that are in my living room. I tried them years ago and they did not sound as good as these. When I get my mic I'll measure both but if I recall correctly the Lipinskys were far more subjectively pleasing in this setting. Obviously I have no idea which one measures better.
Go with whatever is pleasing to your ears. If you get good speakers in the same price range that are HiFi, that might sound better to your ears. However if you are happy how it sounds, I would keep it as is.
I may be wrong about this but I feel like the normal rules of speaker placement go out the window if you are listening near field. It's a much more headphone-like experience.
No not at all. Near-field speakers are quite tough to set up, they are designed to have a sweet spot (that is quite limited), and are built for professionally treated and setup rooms. If you don't read the manual and place them as described, you are not getting the sound they are designed for. I have made this mistake and was surprised when I finally set them up correctly. Even if you are setting them up correctly though, they are designed to be very linear and clean which is not optimal for consumption, since this is not the way to enjoy audio but to produce it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom