• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I have purchased a pair of KRK Rokit7's, have I erred? Other recommendations?

Bust3r

I'm really looking for a multi-use monitor, first of all, so I demo'd a pair of Rokit 5's today and thought they sounded quite good, but felt they were lacking in bass so I grabbed the Rokit7 to compensate only to find out I am not able to make the room needed to house the speakers so I have to get something smaller, maybe as big as 6.5 depending on enclosure size.

I'll probably get recommended Adam Audio and I've tried to demo as many monitors as possible online (I know) with the equipment that I have - Master 19-->Denafrips Are 2-->Audeze LCD-X (Harmon curve) and I dont like the way the Adam T series sound, to me it has a nasality to it I'm not a fan of. The A5X I've heard, that series is really good. Out of my price range though.

Along with the Rokit's I demo'd Samson, Yamaha, JBL, and unfortunately thats all they had. The JBL's were impressive with their bass but the KRK's really caught me ear in the more natural sounding highs and mids, less colored in that room.

I have a pair of edifier R1280T to temporarily replace my now after 21 yrs dead klipsch promedia 4.1 and even after applying Amir's EQ setting to them, I'm still not really liking them. I can't fit much bigger than the edifiers without making serious adjustments on the desktop and getting the Master 19 to another location which I will probably have to do anyway..

I think I can go up to about a 5.5-6.5 TOPS as far as cabinet size but don't like most brands hollow/lifeless sounding 5/5.5 offerings, I think focal alpha 50 is about the only 5" I'd consider. Problem is availability, unless someone on the forum here knows of a place online other than amazon to get the alpha 50's in somewhat of a timely manner.

Also is there a reason why speakers like the edifier S2000MKIII dont go up against the KRK/JBL's/focals, etc - I cant find any head to head comparisons anywhere? I keep getting recommended Edifier but want to have some idea of what they sound like against the others.

Do you guys have anything in mind that I can look into?

I'm in an apt unfortunately, so I would not be able to pair anything with a sub.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
EQ with speakers is very position and loudness dependent.
EQ designed for speakers on a stand differs substantially from the EQ needed when placed on a desk, in bookshelf position, closer or further from a wall.
When EQing some subbass extension the max SPL drops substantially as well.

So I would suggest to either measure and correct from there or play around with placement and EQ.

OP
B

Bust3r

Agreed....they are on somewhat cheap isolation pads on the desk ( I really dont believe they do much at all) and Amir's EQ did help some but I'm just not liking anything below 5", too hollow sounding, even with EQ.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Every studio monitor I have used has too much bass to my ear when non-EQed, including the tiny iLoud MMs.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Genelec or neumann properly off your budget. KRK are the only one left. There is kali, I never audit them before.

OP
B

Bust3r

That's right, I forgot the budget, I'd like to stay around the $550~$650US area

I was looking at the focal 50 alpha EVO but think that might be too big too even for a 5"

OP
B

Bust3r

Buy some good used near field monitors. Many brands out there besides Genelec, Neumann, KRK.
It seems I have only a few options to demo, unless I take a chance on something.

I'll be trying to demo some more today as well, maybe some Adam and Mackie

OP
B

Bust3r

Your situation begs for decent quality headphones. Have you specifi9cally rejected the use of headphones?

Jim
Not at all, I've been trying to demo what I can over the internet that I cant demo live. I'm using Master 19-->Denafrips Ares 2-->Audeze LCD-X (Harmon curve) to listen with.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not at all, I've been trying to demo what I can over the internet that I cant demo live. I'm using Master 19-->Denafrips Ares 2-->Audeze LCD-X (Harmon curve) to listen with.

Are you are demoing recordings or Youtube videos of studio monitors through your headphone setup?

OP
B

Bust3r

Like you, I prefer the nearfield. Because I stay up later than anyone else in the family, I initially purchased headphones simply for the privacy factor. However, the more I used them, the more I preferred them, and now it's a coin toss as to whether I'll listen with headphones or speakers, whether it's late at night or not.

I realize ...... YMMV. :cool:

Jim
Haha, same here. I do have a kiddo that keeps me busy, otherwise I'd be using headphones all the time.

OP
B

Bust3r

I live tested 2 more pairs of monitors today, Kali LP-6 v2 and Adam Audio T7V, and the winner was the Kali LP-6 overall, but the adam definitely had the meatier bass. I thought the Kali highs/mids were a bit more accurate sounding and didnt have the mid scoop sound of the adams.

I see its one of the more approved on this forum as well

Last edited:
Top Bottom