• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I have an expensive, fancy Ethernet cable. What measurements...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is indeed strange time to drop support. With advents of SSDs getting cheap, people are making very high-performance NAS servers out of them and want every bit of throughput they can get. Even with hard disk I am easily able to saturate my gigabit NIC on my laptop.

OP
Jinjuku

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish I could be in on some of the MS planning boards. They've been doing really well in the Server space but since Windows 8 on the desktop space just keep flailing about.

Leave stuff that works alone, alone. Items that needs to be fixed, fix it.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The internal process for what gets in the release is convoluted and politically bound. If the executive has familiarity with the feature then it has better chance of getting in. Otherwise the process causes cuts if deadlines are not met. It is a massively big ship that navigates in very difficult ways.

OP
Jinjuku

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if Dave Cutler had to put up with that...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I wonder if Dave Cutler had to put up with that...
Cutler was marginalized years and years ago. He has no people skills and anger issues so was pushed into a hole. For a company that tolerates fair amount of this, that is saying a lot!

OP
Jinjuku

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cutler was marginalized years and years ago. He has no people skills and anger issues so was pushed into a hole. For a company that tolerates fair amount of this, that is saying a lot!

Wasn't he the lead on NT, 2000/2003 and Azure?

OP
Jinjuku

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a quick proof of concept video with some common sense logic at the end.

OP
Jinjuku

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Given working for Ballmer, I would have anger issues too :)

OP
Jinjuku

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Alright Ladies and Gents. I have one file ready. The playback starts with the 315 foot cable and I make a swap at 10 seconds to the WireWorld Starlight CAT8.

After that good guessing as to when and how many times.

I think this effectively puts a nail in the coffin of Steven Plaskin's review and others like Lavorgna, Van Es, Darko.

I don't think there is a chance in hell anyone is going to be able to tell the difference between $27.50 / foot and $0.30 foot.

Every advantage has been given the Starlight that I can. Primarily a cable that is 2600% longer and terminations that are 3300% less expensive, and cabling that is 1000% cheaper.

The Setup:

Client / DAC:
Computer consisting of ASRock QC 5000ITX mainboard, 8GB RAM (2 sticks), 240GB SSD, Intel CT PCIe NIC. Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Emotiva Stealth DC-1.

Server / ADC machine:
Asus e350 mainboard, 8GB RAM, 96GB SSD, Windows 7 Professional, ADC EMU 1212M, integrated GB NIC.

Switch: Cisco SG200-8

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Where is the DAC in the configuration?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Oh, duh.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Test is invalid anyway. He didn't use a linear power supply on the switch. Sigh...............................people who mess with really high quality audio and think they know what they are doing. Shakes head side to side slowly................

Wombat

Master Contributor

Arnold Krueger

Do you want to see. I have an ADC with my EMU1212M and the the Stealth DC-1 to feed it and also Mic measurement setup.

(1) Stay away from the measurement mic. It is difficult to repeat the same measurement that involves acoustics and get repeatable results with high precision. In fact in some acoustical measurements I've made with real-time readout, I've seen the parameter shift on their own before my very eyes.

(2) Instead, try some electrical measuremrents. One of the easiest to do is as follows:

(a) Obtain the Audio Rightmark Program (shareware - unlimited use for free)

(b) Use it to create a test fil .wav files - menu option. It will create test datasets up to 24/192.

(c) Use audacity to create a file with a 1 KHz -1 dB FS file for setting levels

(d) Set up a system with standard CAT5 wiring as in integral part of the system. For example, identify a piece of wire that you can replace with the *High performace" wire easily and at will. Use your 1 KHz sine wave file to set levels.

(e) Record your baseline performance as a .wav file

(f) Replace the wire you identified with the *high performance* wire.

(g) Repeat step (e) creating a second file.

(h) use the Rightmark program to analyze the two files.

(i) report any differences in the Rightmark program's analyses of the two files that you recorded.

Top Bottom