• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I have a kef LSX. what DAC should i be getting?

benimars

i need help selecting a DAC with headphone amp.

as the tittle says i have a KEF lsx i want to use as my pc speakers mainly for music and games.
i want to be able to connect my headphones aswell and be able to switch.

very noob at audio stuff.
thanks

Hrodulf

Just get something for the headphones. Those speakers have built-in DACs.

OP
B

benimars

Just get something for the headphones. Those speakers have built-in DACs.
so obtical from pc motherboard to the speaker is fine? i was thinking there would be better sound quality with external dac. maybe im thinking of a external soundcard?

Katji

Major Contributor
"External DAC" usually means external to the computer. So the KEF LSX DAC is then an external DAC, just inside the speakers. Add another DAC, means DAC ---> [LSX ADC-->DAC].

"External soundcard" is what music producers call DAC.

OP
B

benimars

i miss wrote my post. i actually dont have the speakers yet but just researching for when i buy.

i thought the audio out put of my motherboard (aux or obtical) would be really problematic.

Katji

Major Contributor
KEF LSX should be good [depending on individual/subjective/etc.] but don't underestimate Edifier.

If DAC integrated in speaker/s [like Edifier and KEF LSX] then the same thing involved in selecting - inputs - do you need USB or is Toslink/coaxial optical ok, and do you also need/want Bluetooth.
When I was looking at Edifiers, I found that most don't have USB, only optical. And I thought I wanted Bt also, but I wouldn't buy something now with no aptX/LDA, so that also excluded most of them.

Last edited:

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Budget?
Required features, eg, Bluetooth , MQA, etc...?

OP
B

benimars

KEF LSX should be good [depending on individual/subjective/etc.] but don't underestimate Edifier.

If DAC integrated in speaker/s [like Edifier and KEF LSX] then the same thing involved in selecting - inputs - do you need USB or is Toslink/coaxial optical ok, and do you also need/want Bluetooth.
When I was looking at Edifiers, I found that most don't have USB, only optical. And I thought I wanted Bt also, but I wouldn't buy something now with no aptX/LDA, so that also excluded most of them.
Budget?
Required features, eg, Bluetooth , MQA, etc...?

budget around 200usd. i believe lsx comes with Bluetooth for streaming , but i also wouldn't mind Bluetooth headphone + headphone aux so i can plugin with wire.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FiiO k5 Pro
Loxjie D30 (has BT)
Or if you don't care about a DAC, the Topping L30

There is already a DAC inside the speakers, so no DAC is the best DAC :)
Can anyone tell me which kind of DAC/chip/internals etc KEF LSX use? I have spent tons of money on audiophile DACS, Amps & Headphones only to find sound harsh sibilant unnatural. The LSX on its own sounds natural. Even more so, the music systems in my cars, supplied by SONY, sounds the best I have heard (just not enough bass). I would love to get an exact copy of sound from my car to my home stereo speakers and Headphone listening. The songs with known harsh female treble on my expensive DACs/Amps sound SILKY SILKY SMOOTH on my car stereo, admirably followed by KEF LSX. If replicating that is a goal, I think I will have to buy Internals supplied by the same OEMs who supply Car stereo internals.
It is completely impossible to EQ or tune my DAC/Amp/Headphones to sound like my car music system.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone tell me which kind of DAC/chip/internals etc KEF LSX use?
That doesn't matter.
I have spent tons of money on audiophile DACS, Amps & Headphones only to find sound harsh sibilant unnatural.
DACs and amps are not the problem, speakers and headphones usually are. DACs and AMPs are not equalizing tools.
The LSX on its own sounds natural.
Well, then just buy it and be happy. Do you think your Sony car stereo has a top-of-the-line DAC chip in it? No, it doesn't. This should be a clear indication that you don't need one of those to get good sound.

Well, then just buy it and be happy. Do you think your Sony car stereo has a top-of-the-line DAC chip in it? No, it doesn't. This should be a clear indication that you don't need one of those to get good sound.
1) The LSX has no bass punch and is not really very loud. I own it already. I want an upgrade.

2) Yes I agree audiophile equipment is mostly a silly waste of money, I discovered it the hard way. But that Sony car stereo which is subjectively exceptional has specific internals. I would like a way to find similar gear and get it home, to play at louder volume, in both speakers and headphones. My speakers and headphones sound different with different gear.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
1) The LSX has no bass punch and is not really very loud. I own it already. I want an upgrade.
I must be confused here... You said:
i actually dont have the speakers yet but just researching for when i buy.
Now you have them, but don't like them?

Obviously, you can't expect a lot of bass from the tiny 4.5" woofers...
2) Yes I agree audiophile equipment is mostly a silly waste of money, I discovered it the hard way. But that Sony car stereo which is subjectively exceptional has specific internals. I would like a way to find similar gear and get it home, to play at louder volume, in both speakers and headphones. My speakers and headphones sound different with different gear.
A car is a very different environment. Usually, you have more than two speakers, and the interior volume is small compared to a room. You'll get a lot of cabin gain, boosting bass a lot. You're also close to the drivers. It's also a lot noisier, masking a multitude of issues you would have in a room. There really is no comparison.

Top Bottom