• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I have a feeling I will be listening to a lot more vinyl

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My 20 year old daughter has caught the bug. Like a lot of kids her age I guess. She ordered a few albums even though she does not own a turntable, or even a proper sound system for that matter. But she is home doing remote studies so I guess she figured she'd just use mine.

In this case vinyl is a wonderful thing. We would never hang out together to listen to whole albums otherwise. I'm sure I will be dominated, though. My records will have a hard time making it into the rotation.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like a great way to listen to music together, less as parent and child, more young person and ex young person, I'm sure you will both learn things.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I got back into records when my son told me about a Journey album he didn't buy at some record store he was visiting on a trip with friends because we had no way to play it.

I had a bunch of records that survived the divorce, but no TT's, so that was solved soon after. We've listened to and talked about music together a lot more after that. I don't regret it in the slightest.

It helps to keep a sense of humor about it! Your daughter will remember listening to records with her Dad... Enjoy every second. Good for you both.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Sounds like a good parent-child thing. And you can have fun and education tweaking for optimum sound, at a minimum, alignment and tracking force gauges. DB systems used to make a nice inexpensive yet accurate 2-point alignment gauge.

OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was wanting to buy her a pro-ject vt-e BT for her room but she didn't want it, would rather listen downstairs. So that's fine with me. I wonder if she will be wanting to take whatever records she collects with her back to school next year, assuming this covid business is under control by then. That will bring back memories of when packing for school had a lot do do with space for records and hifi system.

I hope she does not lay claim to my records, like I did with some of my dad's!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I hope she does not lay claim to my records, like I did with some of my dad's

There are some I'd let my son knick off with... But there are some he'll be prying out of my cold, dead hands.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@pjug I think it just wonderful you'll be sharing that time with your daughter.

My boys (13/16) have shown no interest yet in vinyl (they each have systems in their rooms), but it'll surely come soon. Luckily I have plenty of TTs and spare cartridges to give them.

OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@pjug I think it just wonderful you'll be sharing that time with your daughter.

My boys (13/16) have shown no interest yet in vinyl (they each have systems in their rooms), but it'll surely come soon. Luckily I have plenty of TTs and spare cartridges to give them.
I can only imagine the classic treasures you have that they will be able to pick from.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I can only imagine the classic treasures you have that they will be able to pick from.

The problem is, I'd want to cut straight to the chase and save them all the unneccesary steps we all took over many decades with turntables and vinyl. But that would take the journey and the fun out of it for them...

I like this:
It helps to keep a sense of humor about it! Your daughter will remember listening to records with her Dad...

Wise words, nothing worse than Dad (me) going off on a technical tangent or pulling out all my 1980s vinyl, when all they may want to do is discover new/old music and listen with their Dad. I'll remember that if and when the time comes.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I started mine on his third birthday. This is so he can learn before he messes with my stuff. Now, a year later, he is allowed to do enough that my wife asks him for help with my systems.
20210130_201224.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I started mine on his third birthday.

So sweet. That is beautiful.

Someplace I have a short (phone) video where my son had his bath toy ducky going round on a Quartz PLL direct drive I gave him to play with as an 18 month old. He was talking to the duck each time it came around. Memories

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
A still from the video.

ducky.JPG

He was trying to kiss the duck each time it went around after spinning it like a DJ. At the end he says "kissy ducky a roundabout".

He's 13yo now and in his room playing PC games...Time flies.

Midwest Blade

This could be a fun journey for you, finding a turntable, amp, speakers to help get her started, then hopefully sitting down and enjoying some music together. I always found that getting a new album was a bit if discovery as you never really knew what all the songs were in those old days.
My two nieces are opposites, one has been doing the vinyl trip while the other is all in on Spotify and thinks records are like the dark ages.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My youngest son (just turned 19) LOVES going to record stores with me. He's enamored of the whole culture and vibe. Even though he himself only owns a few records. Most of the time he listens via his phone/earbuds, but sometimes he asks me to play some of his favorite records and he'll often dance to them in the listening room.

Grumple

Forum Donor
Sorry to restart and hijack an old thread and all that. But I came across this while in an ASR hole and thought I'd chime in. I have a 4yr old son who I bought a cheapo, plastic, suitcase record player for. I got some random records from a charity shop and gave it to him for being good at nursery (he had previously been PITA). He loves it, he always tells people about it and now we share a passion for music. He often wants to sit with me and listen to all kinds of music. I have a R2R that I use for making recordings of playlists and his most recent good behavour reward was a tape recording of his favourite songs. It's been so much fun and I love it.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
He often wants to sit with me and listen to all kinds of music.

I love that story, and all like it.

Keep that up for the next 15 years, and you'll both have a reservoir of wonderful memories you will draw on for the rest of your lives.

Top Bottom