• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I Dream of Maggies

OP
T
T_C,

Personally I'd hate to see you not embrace some Maggies. But you have to make choices...and then live with them.

Too true.
Almost anything will be better than my current old, cheap 5.1 system and very, very, cheap bluetooth module.
So the Magnepan's, even poorly positioned, are still strongly in the running. Though LRS and a couple subs might be a more attractive entry point than 1.7i's.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I keep wondering how those LRS would sound compared to my old MGIIIa's. No local dealers to audition any of the new Maggies either.

While I have no plans to retire my 1986 vintage MGIIIa's I acquired in 1999, were they to become delaminated or my two decade old capacitor crossover upgrades puke, I wonder if the LRS would be a good replacement for this septuagenarian as I'm no longer up to the challenge of any DIY repair stuff. Plus sending them off to Bear Lake for a total refurb would be a royal PITA for me. Mmmmmm......

The LRS or any x.7 model will be a significant upgrade, and I'd bet you would hear it too.

They used to have a program to ship speakers on a trial basis; also you aren't that far from the factory...

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Sub recommendations would be either none (call Wendell and talk to him or may see their FAQs), or the DWM panels, or... a swarm system.

or wait and see if they ever come out with the "30.7 for an apt." system

Bald1

Bald1: I think the new Maggies have different glue that hopefully should keep them from delaminating for quite a while (Same thing with Final electrostatics: their old Mylar only supposedly lasts so many years but the new tech they have supposedly lasts much longer!)
But yeah - I doubt you could go bad picking up the LRS's. They are well-priced and not so gigantic that you can't easily move them like the larger ones.

The LRS or any x.7 model will be a significant upgrade, and I'd bet you would hear it too..

Appreciate the comments!

My old true ribbon MGIIIa's are said to not be all that different sound-wise from the 3.3 / 3.5 / 3.6 units. Again they're in great shape with no signs of delamination and tweeters functioning fine. So the newer 1.7i and LRS use quasi-ribbon technology but not having heard them I still have to wonder how they sonically differ from the older larger units like mine. You guys both seem to think even the LRS would be better than what I now have but I'd really like to hear from someone who has/had MGIIIa's and has heard/owns either the LRS or even the 1.7i (the 3.7i is out of this retiree's price range now).

Update: Just did some searching of threads on the Planar Speaker Asylum / MUG and it would appear that the consensus there is that the LRS, as great as it is, can't deliver what the old MGIIIa's can. So knock on wood, I hope mine keep performing without issues for more years to come. :)

Also found the glue was changed half way through the 3.5 product run.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
We all have our dreams.
Mine are about redheads and JBL M2's :p

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I decided I wanted "my last stereo" in the early 1990s.
I spent 2 years listening to different speakers. In the end I ended up buying ones I had never heard of when I started the search and the one I was most excited about initially was slightly disappointing and the one I wanted most seemed too expensive to install (it was a 4 way with active crossover and no amps, the amps proposed by the dealer made the system very expensive indeed. If I had known what I know now I would have tried cheaper amps.
Anyway what I wanted to say is I am still enjoying listening to my final choice today so the long travels to listen were worth it IMO, though I did not end up with what i thought I would.

On previous "upgrades" a decade and two decades earlier I also ended up choosing a different speaker to the one I had gone to listen to and was sure I would buy...

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We all have our dreams.
Mine are about redheads and JBL M2's :p

AFAIK, red hair is a genetic marker for crazy (and half my family has red hair)

I won't make any discriminatory comments on cones.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
AFAIK, red hair is a genetic marker for crazy
For sure. But I like crazy! But then after a while it can wear on you, maybe that's why I've been married 3 times and had loads of other girlfriends. LOL

Seems the red haired clan is more sensitive to pain and temperature variation
Damn she's hot. The blue eyed ones seem to run a little less crazy than the green eyed ones, they can be completely insane. Keep a gun under the mattress on your side that she doesn't know about. ;) LOL.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For sure. But I like crazy! But then after a while it can wear on you, maybe that's why I've been married 3 times and had loads of other girlfriends. LOL

Damn she's hot. The blue eyed ones seem to run a little less crazy than the green eyed ones, they can be completely insane. Keep a gun under the mattress on your side that she doesn't know about. ;) LOL.
1584306100165.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
They are, and yet they have fewer children than any other hair color. So is this a myth?
No, it's just that the extra experience has taught them to use birth control to prevent the accidents that haunt so many others. LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

DrSensible

BTW, a big SQ increment happened with the x.7 versions (maybe with x.6 - not sure as never owned those).

If you have or have listened to the older ones, I urge you to hear the x.7 versions
This is true. There was also a big step up from the .5 to .6, as that's when the Quasi Ribbon tweeter came into play. I do like that Magnepan doesn't change models very often unless there is a noteable improvement.

OP
T
At my age (I'm a septuagenarian) I could care which. LOL

Sorry to the Op as his thread has taken a truly unusual turn. :D

HA!
I checked back in this morning and was quite surprised. You'll excuse me if I reserve my opinions on the topic.

Meanwhile, I've placed an order for a pair of LRS. The lead time is fairly long right now so it'l be a while before I can post the full setup, but I'll be back here to share all the measurements and setup info I can.
I'll be ordering the rest of my components in another week or so.
Gonna drop Amir a line and see if he's interested in measuring any components while I wait for my speakers.

Thanks to everyone!
T_C

OP
T
T_C,
Curious. What lead time did they quote you for your LRS order?

Not sure if it applies to all configurations or just the Black/Cherry combo I requested, but I was quoted at 10-12 weeks for manufacturing.
They must be quite popular. The last lead time I found was 6-8 weeks from about 8 months ago.

T_C

Top Bottom