• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I don't understand the obsession with DR meters

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Haha, more like a failed drummer :p
Anyway, I never played without ear protection.
I didn't when I played ( I was too young for this stuff :facepalm:) but I was not a loud drummer and did not play often. And not succesfull either.:D Nevermind. But the hearing loss is real nevertheless.:rolleyes:
And after a couple of years I switched over to an electronic kit, which is much more practical.
Me too, a mix of a Roland TD8 (pads) and TD12(control unit). No more need to hide in a cold, dark celler...:)
Which one do you have?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Sgt. Ear Ache
When the drummer went full out, you obviously needed guitar amplifiers, didn't you? That's what I'm talking about. Yeah, if the drummer play soft on a small kit with brushes and stuff, they can accompany acoustic instruments. But this is not rock, and certainly not metal. For me, if the drummer doesn't go full out, he can go out the window.

@tuga
Try to tell that to the people that thinks that DR score is the be-all and end-all. Like @Blumlein 88 that don't think it's possible that something with DR6 can sound nice.
You are intent on straw manning my statements as I've clearly not said DR rating is the be all end all score. I've said no DR 6 sounds good because that has murdered the music. As someone thinking drummers should go all out or be gone it seems strange to me that you then want to squash the drums so everything else is loud like drums. Nuance is clearly lost on you.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The issue as I see it is that drums have very loud and instant attack and quick decay, while every other instrument have mild attack and slow decay. That's why they need to be tamed, even if the rest of the band is amplified. Also, if the mix is very dense with distorted guitars and fat bass and lush keyboards, the tone and resonance of the drums can get lost and what remains is only the initial attack. What gives drums a characteristic sound are those things, not the initial impact. If you want to hear the character of the drums, you need to boost up the sustain part in level. Without compressing the initial peak, you can't really do that. That's drum mixing 101.
If you don't overly compress everything the drum decay doesn't get lost. And the drums have momentary impact which is what percussion is for musically.

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
. I've said no DR 6 sounds good
No need for straw man here, I have a direct quote. If you acknowledge that there is some case where something that measures as DR6 can sound good, then I would be proven wrong.
As someone thinking drummers should go all out or be gone it seems strange to me that you then want to squash the drums so everything else is loud like drums.
This is a funny argument. What do you think I shuold want, that the drums will drown out everything else? Of course that if I want the drummer to go all out in terms of playing his instrument, I would want to mitigate his loudness so I can hear the rest of the band. With compression, you can have your cake and eat it too. Amazing!

mitchco

Audio Company
The compressed (rather, clipped) one, clearly. In the uncompressed version the drums peak out way too much to be tolerable and sound very uneven. It doesn't fit the rest of the music. Of course the clipped version sounds technically broken, but that depends on the skills of the mastering engineer. One certainly can compress it down for the same reduction but without the drums being distorted that much (the first two snare hits, notable).
And yes, I'm a rhythm section guy (bass player) and lost quite a bit of my hearing from standing close to uncompressed drum kits. Ear protection plugs help avoid this only little bit contrary to common belief.

It is a slightly exaggerated example to make a point :) For an example of well recorded and dynamic drums for pop or rock, try Stewart Copeland from the Police on the track Murder by Numbers.

Of course compressors and limiters are used for drum kits and in fact, on most instruments and vocals in a pop/rock recording. In 24 track mono recorded pop/rock, one has access to compressors limiters on each channel strip that can be engaged both on recording and playback. In addition to a "drum group" where one can engage compression/limiting on a group of instruments. Let alone on the final 2 track mix and we have not even got to mastering yet.

Using a compressor and limiter is both art and science. It takes a good ear to dial in compression ratios and adjusting the attack and release settings and on it goes. Good engineers and Producers know how to get the sound even, yet still allow dynamics to come through. Given that most studio budgets have gone south, most recordings are done in much smaller setups and a lot less time. And the folks using the DAW's may not have had any formal recording training, so they click on the DAW's presets, which for most already have a built-in DR6 compression ratio with a limiter on top.

So just by happenstance, people can ruin the dynamics and the nuances of the emotion on the recording. That's my complaint. Indiscriminate and "over use" of dynamic range compression. In modern DAW's there are presets for DR6 at a push of a button. For some folks, they can't hear it or don't care. For me, it is s different story and clearly for others as there would be no such thing as the "loudness war" now would there.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No need for straw man here, I have a direct quote. If you acknowledge that there is some case where something that measures as DR6 can sound good, then I would be proven wrong.

This is a funny argument. What do you think I shuold want, that the drums will drown out everything else? Of course that if I want the drummer to go all out in terms of playing his instrument, I would want to mitigate his loudness so I can hear the rest of the band. With compression, you can have your cake and eat it too. Amazing!
But the way you are going about it, you are mangling the initial impact (rather important for percussion) in order to raise the decay. It is your preference, but a curious one to me. So no I don't see that as having your cake and eating it too. Maybe it is more like slicing off and eating only the icing of the cake.

The reason I think you are creating a straw man out of some of my comments is you keep listing extremes of no compression, and I've not had that in mind in my comments. I'm not a professional in the recording world like mitchco, but I've done some recording. Knowing only too well you have to do something with percussion to get recordings to work. It is one of the most difficult things to get right live. And takes some care if you can isolate drums in a studio. But going all the way to a result that ends up DR6 or ends up with everything always loud is going too far for best results in my opinion. The Katz suggested way of doing this naturally leads one to a nice happy enjoyable medium for all purposes in my experience.

What fatigues and damages ears most is a constant unrelenting loudness level. You can have an average loudness level of 80 db with very little variance or you can have an average loudness level of 80 db with some quieter portions and transient louder portions of sound 20 db louder. To me the latter is much nicer and the former is more an assault on my hearing. Maybe others have another preference, but I don't get it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Steven Wilson is one of the main proponents for this whole dynamics trend. His albums used to sound great,
Yes he is, and thank God for that! His mastering/remasterings sound better every day.

but in the last years everything he touches is getting this ultra-dynamic treatment that makes everything very fatiguing to listen to. I think one of the reasons he does that is because this anti-loudness war trend, and making stuff more dynamic is a way to get more customers. Exaggerated drum hits doesn't make things more realistic or higher fidelity, it's just following a trend.
I couldn't disagree with you more and one of the main reasons I seek out about everything I can lay my hands on by him. Your "all loud, all the time" crowd has ruined the dynamics of rock music for a couple decades now. He is a breath of fresh air in recording realistic sounding rock recordings.

blackmetalboon

Genres of music such as experimental, drone, noise etc.. don‘t always require a high DR.

There seems to be a case of semantics and a generalisation with what music or a performance actually is that is stifling this thread and leading to generalisations.

mitchco

Audio Company
I think some folks have it backwards. There is no valid technical or artistic reason for lower than DR12 (using the dynamic range database as baseline).

There is a perceived financial reason by the record industry that louder makes my song A stand stand out over your song B and hence people will notice it more and buy it. Think "TV commercial" mentality with it blasting twice as loud as your regular content.

Debunked when you look at some of the best selling rock records of all time. AC/DC’s Back in Black, has sold an estimated 50 million copies worldwide, making it the second-highest-selling album in history, without the use of overly compressed sound (DR 12), except for the later remasters! LOL!

I use the DR indicator simply as a "how overly compressed is this tune" indicator before I decide to purchase it. As I enjoy ALT music, a lot, it is an unfortunate genre of some wildly over-compressed and/or on purpose digital overs music category if there ever was one.

SRV and Double Trouble's "Tin Pan Alley" is an excellent example of a dynamic recording (DR 18) whose dynamics vary in loudness with the feeling of the tune. Quiet parts are audibly and measurably quiet, build ups actually build in level and full band hits on the beat, crack at maximum level punctuating a point in the song. Turned up loud, because I control the volume, sounds just like being at the concert. Wonderful stuff.

Unfortunately, some of the modern alt I listen to is crushed so bad, it sounds like AM transistor radio no matter what sound system you listen to it on. It is a garbage recording and for no good reason.

Dimitri

Music is what it is. A performance is what it is.
The first recording ever was made around 1880.
It wasn't until sometime in the mid 1990s that due to some bonehead epidemic the DR of e x i s t i n g performances started getting reduced.
The quest seems to have been to reproduce the performance in an unobtrusive sort of way to the limit of the recording medium. So yeah... limiters comressors, noise reduction and who-know-what-else was being applied because neither records nor tapes have unlimited dynamic range. And people were getting happier as technology got better.
And then all hell broke loose. And all the demons came out of the woodwork. And started releasing recordings with "walls of green" (as shown by Uli earlier).

That's the DR reduction that's offensive.

It might just be a large part of the reason why CDs got a bad rep for "not sounding as good" as vinyl. (Although this might be another can of worms entirely)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What fatigues and damages ears most is a constant unrelenting loudness level. You can have an average loudness level of 80 db with very little variance or you can have an average loudness level of 80 db with some quieter portions and transient louder portions of sound 20 db louder. To me the latter is much nicer and the former is more an assault on my hearing. Maybe others have another preference, but I don't get it.
I couldn't agree more. One of the first overly compressed recordings I bought was Jethro Tull's J-TULL DOT COM. It sounds very good for about 1 or 2 minutes, and then I just can't stand it any longer. I don't think I've ever played the whole disk. It's just annoying, LIKE READING A BOOK IN CAPITAL LETTERS.

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
This article, which I just remembered I had read some [edit—7 or 8] years ago, provides a great perspective on the subject. It includes an extremely intelligent and thoughtful discussion (IMHO) and some great data and paradoxical twists from a recording industry perspective.

TL : DR (IIRC correctly after some number of years): Dynamic range in music has not lessened overall over time as a trend in recorded music, though loudness has increased, and the DR scales are inconsistent, misleading and unreliable. (If my memory is not as good as I would hope please correct me—I’m only human.)

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/dynamic-range-loudness-war

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah...those are dangerous . they lead to hearing loss. Must ban live music. And Harleys. :facepalm:

Count me in for banning Harleys! ;-)

They are the vehicle equivalent of some *sshole shouting as loud as he can in your ears "STOP THINKING ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE! LISTEN TO MY RIDE! LISTEN TO IT! LISTEN TO IT DAMN IT!"

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

In my view you are missing a fundamental issue in the discussion: The dynamic range you and everyone else are actually talking about is not very large to begin with.

The overwhelming majority of music - even hard rock, punk, electronic and dance music - does not "naturally" come out at DR6 even after the instruments have been recorded (or generated if they are electronic), EQ'd, processed, and mixed down. Most "loud" music comes out at around DR8 to DR12. "Whole Lotta Love" off Led Zeppelin II is a good example. It's a very heavy track, well-regarded by multiple generations of music listeners including those who grew up in the '90s and '00s, and is full of compression in both the individual multi-tracks and the final mix down. And yet you will not find a copy of Led Zeppelin II on CD, vinyl, digital file or any other format where Whole Lotta Love has a DR rating lower than DR9 - and that DR9 version is from the 2014 remaster where some additional (albeit light) peak-limiting was used. Older masterings have it at DR10 to DR12.

In most cases, to get DR down below 8 or 9, you have to apply additional, often heavy-handed (aka producing negative audible effects) compression or peak-limiting after the music has been mixed down, during final mastering - and that heavy peak-limiting is invariably done to make the music "radio ready," in other words with the intent of making it sound louder so it can compete with other music that is presumably compressed in the same way for the same reason. Such peak-limiting has nothing to do with bringing out specific instruments, balancing instruments, or any other sonic aspect that we might call musical or artistic.

So yes, Whole Lotta Love with the 18dB dynamic range figure that has been thrown around in this thread would indeed sound very strange and probably terrible. And you can indeed find some examples of early CD masterings from the '80s that have high DR ratings and also sound anemic and lifeless. (And less bass, which can sound anemic, is correlated with higher DR because low frequencies have so much energy compared to higher frequencies that a bass-shy tape or mastering will always have higher DR than an otherwise identical tape or mastering with more bass.)

And yes, I have heard DR6 albums that sound pretty good - but only one or two (Beck's Morning Phase comes to mind). But ironically it's only sparse acoustic music or very clean electronic music that can sound decent at those low DR levels - bring in electric guitar and punchy drums and super-low DR is going to sound like crap and be fatiguing on an audiophile system (it might be great for the car or background music though).

Finally, compression has been applied to popular music for at least the past 60 years, probably longer. It's used in recording instruments, producing and processing the sound, and mixing. That's not what DR Meter readings are about. It's about a particular type of extra, added compression that's applied after and in addition to all that.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

A lot of people seem to be circling back to the argument that

heavy peak-limiting is invariably done to make the music "radio ready," in other words with the intent of making it sound louder so it can compete with other music that is presumably compressed in the same way for the same reason.

Is there actual evidence that this is the reason peak limiting is used? Can anyone find a direct quote from a mastering engineer that says explicitly that this is why he is doing that?

Top Bottom