• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I don't get high electrostatic/planar headphones?

Degru

neither does Crinacle
Crinacle at least has an excuse since he measures store demos and doesn't always get optimal conditions to be able to run THD accurately. Tho he could definitely run some of the usual things like CSD, maybe a few square waves and such. On the other hand, Oratory actually seems to believe that other measurements don't matter (at least audibly below certain limits), and is misinforming others about this too, backing it up with his professional experience when he should know better.

Feelas

Common dynamic drivers can't do heavy bass at loud volumes without deforming the centre area from not resting fast enough. BA, IEM dynamic drivers(5 ~ 9mm), planar, electrostatic don't suffer from this. It why the HD650 reaches 5 ~ 10% at 85 ~ 100db or with +8db bass boost.
K371's pull out impressive 20-120Hz levels with ~1% distortion.

Dealux

On the contrary I feel like he himself is at the peak of the dunning-kruger curve, and doing his best to bring lots of people up there with him. The "FR is everything" crowd is deluding themselves into not hearing extremely obvious differences and characteristics just because some supposed authority told them they don't exist, when said authority derived those conclusions from their own biased interpretation of the specific research and information they chose to read.

The reason we don't have "measurements" for things like detail yet is because they cannot be quantified into one graph or number, and many of those perceived effects are caused by multiple different specific measured behaviors, as well as being connected to each other in various ways. You can't just put that into one graph and rank different headphones by some "detail rating" in a table; it's something that needs to be explored on a case by case basis to determine how exactly the driver is behaving when given different types of signals and what audible effects that is causing. It's definitely not easy, but better than insisting that a single graph dictates everything that we hear and dismissing everything else as placebo.
Except that it would be impossible to get any information from sound unless it was represented in FR. So yes, objectively speaking detail is FR. It's just that we're really bad at reading these graphs and perhaps they're not 100% accurate.

In my experience (and I've come to this conclusion as I listened to more and more headphones), detail is a function of tuning (coherency) and smoothness throughout the mids and highs (i.e. no strange dips or distracting peaks). This is actually subjectively verifiable too if you pay attention. A lacking of detail can actually feel like a dip in the wrong place or a relaxed region in the treble, etc. No need for stupid terms like speed or resolution. It's all there. Just pay attention more.

Top Bottom