• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO MAKE OF IT.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, this post certainly has generated a lot of comment. Enough to spur me on to post Part II. (A chorus of groans suddenly fills the air.)

In case it got lost, let me draw your attention to a previous post. The title "I Don't Know What To Make Of It" is sincere. I'm genuinely perplexed. I used to know what side of the fence I was on, but—to quote myself—I cling to an iceberg drifting between two shores.

I would say this is part and parcel of life. There are many things which we still don't understand and pple are trying to find an explanation for it. Even if we know how it happens, we still don't know why.

For your question, depending on where you post your question, you will get different answers. I believe most of the people here will tell you you should not hear a difference and all cables sound the same. In other forums, you might get answers like of course you will hear a difference. Some might go further to explain more etc... Up to you to decide what is right or wrong.

This is the internet and these are forums. So, I would say don't take things too seriously.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would say this is part and parcel of life. There are many things which we still don't understand and pple are trying to find an explanation for it. Even if we know how it happens, we still don't know why.

For your question, depending on where you post your question, you will get different answers. I believe most of the people here will tell you you should not hear a difference and all cables sound the same. In other forums, you might get answers like of course you will hear a difference. Some might go further to explain more etc... Up to you to decide what is right or wrong.

This is the internet and these are forums. So, I would say don't take things too seriously.
Yes many crazy audio forums where you can get misinformation, useless anecdotal info/experience testimony. Fortunately not much of that cable nonsense here....particularly sales and marketing designs.

escksu

Yes many crazy audio forums where you can get misinformation, useless anecdotal info/experience testimony. Fortunately not much of that cable nonsense here....particularly sales and marketing designs.

Cant be helped. It is not possible to control information on the internet. Information posted on forums are also posted by individuals. Hence, its up to individual to decide what they feel its right or wrong. Even for research papers, pretty much anyone can publish any paper. So, you need to take note of the source and which journal its pusblished in. make sure its from a reputable soirce and journal (eg. Reputable university/company), nature is one of the best around, avoid places like researchgate.

JSmith

Master Contributor
If you has a question regarding whu i say 12awg. You can go ask amirm. He recommends it and i agree with his reasons.
index.php

JSmith

IronPyrite

Even for research papers, pretty much anyone can publish any paper.
This is true unfortunately, which is why we need to compare multiple sources, and find consensus. It's also important that we go into such exercises with an open mind and lack of cognitive bias (shopping for evidence that supports our own opinions). We shouldn't allow the existence of fraudulent publishing discourage us from research.

simplywyn

I didn't believe in cables either, I plugged my LS50's into my AWG16 wires i bought off amazon... and something was off, even turning up the volume, something was missing (the detail I heard was gone) and there was a weird smear / veil...

I couldn't get rid of it, and didn't think much of it... until I plugged my AWG10 wires back in, and the detail came back... I don't know or care what people want to say, but I'm a firm believer that thicker cables reduce resistance, therefore the signal gets through better.

The AWG 16 wires were also older and probably more oxidized, but again I wasn't a believer until I did that (I was anti-cable for a long long time)

Although I don't believe in type of cable, I think the thickness in cable matters (going from my electrical engineering days but evne then it doens't explain "detail loss" ).

Again anecdotal evidence, but works for me... I have a feeling cable thickness matters up to a degree (diminishing returns after certain AWG) otherwise we'd all be running thick iron blocks from amp to speaker

All in all, it's a bit of a mess, can't really explain it but it was definitely a difference (quit big considering)

Last edited:

Luisinky

This is my first post and I wanted to give some personal background so folks know who I am. I am not a electrical engineer, I have a bachelor's in History and an AS in applied science/electronics. I am a retired Navy Chief Warrant officer who spent 22 years as a enlisted Fire Controlman who repaired missile/gun systems, RADAR systems, and computer/data and associated distribution systems. I spent the last 8 years as a weapons officer but maintained my technician roots intact. I was Navy trained in electronics and feel I have a decent understanding of electronics. That being said, I am in no way remotely equal to those here who are Engineers and designers. This discussion fascinates me as I have been a stereo nut since the early 70's. I stumbled across this forum in response to a fellow who insisted that interconnects "break in" after 200 hours and he heard the improvement. He tried to say Amirm verified this is possible. I truly enjoy reading and learning from the members and look forward to reading many of the topics, especially Class D amps using NCore modules...by the way I treated myself to a retirement present of Revel f208's and a Hypex NC500 amp, a setup I thoroughly enjoy.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is my first post and I wanted to give some personal background so folks know who I am. I am not a electrical engineer, I have a bachelor's in History and an AS in applied science/electronics. I am a retired Navy Chief Warrant officer who spent 22 years as a enlisted Fire Controlman who repaired missile/gun systems, RADAR systems, and computer/data and associated distribution systems. I spent the last 8 years as a weapons officer but maintained my technician roots intact. I was Navy trained in electronics and feel I have a decent understanding of electronics. That being said, I am in no way remotely equal to those here who are Engineers and designers. This discussion fascinates me as I have been a stereo nut since the early 70's. I stumbled across this forum in response to a fellow who insisted that interconnects "break in" after 200 hours and he heard the improvement. He tried to say Amirm verified this is possible. I truly enjoy reading and learning from the members and look forward to reading many of the topics, especially Class D amps using NCore modules...by the way I treated myself to a retirement present of Revel f208's and a Hypex NC500 amp, a setup I thoroughly enjoy.
Welcome to ASR @Luisinky. :D

Tim Link

Forum Donor
If you are perceiving a difference in the sound between cables that you think you shouldn't be perceiving, at least you know you are having a change in perception. You're just not sure what's causing it. If you find the improved perception is reliable and you like it, then you can get the cables that do it for you and just enjoy the effect without worrying too much about exactly what's causing it. If you want to know more about whether it's really the sound waves that are changing or if it's something else going on in your brain, then you are going to have to do some serious testing which will take some work. The first place to start would be blind controlled testing to see if it's really your ears that are picking up a change in the sound, or if it's a combination of other senses, unconscious expectations and mental priming, or whatever. I've found these non sound related things at times to be amazingly powerful on my perception of sound quality. In my case they are unreliable. Otherwise I'd happily use them on a regular basis to alter my perception in the desired fashion. For myself, what convinced me that these effects weren't actually sound related was blinded testing. I can't tell you how blown away I was to have my perception of the audio improvement from a cable disappear as soon as I was uncertain of which cable was being used. I was also skeptical that a cable could make a difference but when I knew which cable was being used I had a strong perception of a sonic improvement. After experiencing the blinded testing the effect no longer worked for me. I broke the spell. But if for some reason the effect returned when I could see the cable in use I'd have kept them, with full knowledge that the look, feel, price and story behind the cables was doing some psychology on me.

Top Bottom