• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I discovered something very interesting about digital vs vinyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
fact vinyl sounds better than digital the reason for this is vinyl has stereo + stereo depth perception and digital has stereo + mono depth perception. to convert digital audio to sound like vinyl you must convert the digital mono depth perception back into stereo depth perception. to do this you must re-encode your digital audio to flac with compression level (4) this will convert digital mono to stereo depth perception and your digital audio will now sound like vinyl. and you can do it for FREE so run your own test and prove it to yourself friends.

Only thing I can link to the reasoning above is the joint stereo mode of mp3:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_encoding

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Guitar Sam either did some fuckery on purpose to troll or it happened by chance somewhere in his 'process' and mistook the difference for more vinyl like sound. He may have remembered a compression technique can monofy something (MP3 can be set to put mono signals in one channel to have higher data compression) and assumed that a higher FLAC compression would do a similar thing.

Troll or honest mistake by lack of understanding with a conclusion only someone noob-ish could draw ?

Looking at his 2 other posts I suspect the latter (or hope this is so).

Thanks to everyone doing an analysis and showing what's wrong and this is not due to various compression levels in FLAC.
The only difference (AFAIK) is the time it takes to encode is a bit longer resulting in inconsequential smaller files.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Only thing I can link to the reasoning above is the joint stereo mode of mp3:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_encoding

Joint encoding alright. Elon Musk uses it when he gets space-x'd.

1606291134367.png

Hayabusa

Pluto

Forum Donor
either… some fuckery on purpose to troll or it happened by chance somewhere in his 'process'
Another possibility – there have, at times, been fake versions of the FLAC command-line software that existed for various nefarious purposes. In the early part of the century there was a "new" version of FLAC that boasted massively improved compression (it actually made a subtle variation of MP3) but its true purpose was the dropping of some sort of virus if you let it run on your system.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Another possibility – there have, at times, been fake versions of the FLAC command-line software that existed for various nefarious purposes.

I doubt that. It's quite an elaborate process to make a file that has everything up to 11 kHz mirrored to the high frequencies. If I were to make FLAC encoder that also add viruses to a system, I would have it work like a perfectly normal FLAC encoder ;)

The only one nefarious here is @guitar sam :eek:

Pluto

Forum Donor
It didn't actually matter what the software did, or did not do, with your audio (ISTR that it achieved "high compression" by actually only encoding the first 25% of the audio track). The mere fact that they've persuaded you to run it, once, is all that it took to perform the software's real mischievous mission.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, the thing actually functioning makes it far less suspicious and therefore much harder to track down.

BaaM

Another possibility – there have, at times, been fake versions of the FLAC command-line software that existed for various nefarious purposes. In the early part of the century there was a "new" version of FLAC that boasted massively improved compression (it actually made a subtle variation of MP3) but its true purpose was the dropping of some sort of virus if you let it run on your system.
Do you have more informations about these cli programs?
I doubt that. It's quite an elaborate process to make a file that has everything up to 11 kHz mirrored to the high frequencies.
Last year, there was a site called "xspectralaudio" which allowed from an mp3 or any other lossy format to ""reconstitute"" a lossless file by mirroring the existing frequencies to 22khz: https://web.archive.org/web/2019*/http://xpectralaudio.com/
Note that the lossy artifacts (blocks) were no longer visible with a spectral analysis.
I've been trying for a long time to find out how he could do that, especially on hydrogenaudio, without being able to reproduce this result.

EDIT: Starting a thread about this.

Last edited:

Pluto

Forum Donor
the thing actually functioning makes it far less suspicious
Which it did, after a fashion, just sufficient to survive a cursory inspection. The viral payload was, ISTR, quite nasty for those days insofar it would stay resident, had an elegant means of discreetly reloading at each reboot and a mission to introduce subtle and creeping corruption into Lotus 123 files over a period of time.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BOT message??

OP
G

guitar sam

guitar sam here and i'm using izotope rx5 to convert from flac compression zero to compression 4 and all i'm saying is flac with compression level 4 has stereo depth perception which you can clearly hear and all other flac compression levels have mono depth perception.i believe flac 4 is doing something to the azimuth that the other compression levels are not doing. here is another audio sample using foobar2000 all i did was convert from flac compression 0 to 4 if you listen the flac 4 sounds like 3d compared to flac 0. (0) http://u.pc.cd/qLp (4) http://u.pc.cd/9R2

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
guitar sam here and i'm using izotope rx5 to convert from flac compression zero to compression 4 and all i'm saying is flac with compression level 4 has stereo depth perception which you can clearly hear and all other flac compression levels have mono depth perception.i believe flac 4 is doing something to the azimuth that the other compression levels are not doing. here is another audio sample using foobar2000 all i did was convert from flac compression 0 to 4 if you listen the flac 4 sounds like 3d compared to flac 0. (0) http://u.pc.cd/qLp (4) http://u.pc.cd/9R2

I took both of those files, inverted the polarity of one of them, and then mixed them together.

This was the result.

(Complete silence proves there was absolutely no difference between the files.)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Pluto

Forum Donor
I ran these two files through…
RMS of the difference of spectra: –385dB

I think it's fair to say that the two audio streams are as close as it gets
So any perceived difference is either imaginary or a product of the playback environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom