• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I disassembled my Genelec 8351B

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the report, it's hard to imagine a ~30 Hz F6 from such a "small" and loud speaker, so I'm really liking those aggregate opinions about it.
I think even though their outside is relatively compact, internal volume is large due to the thin aluminum cabinet. Which by the way is very rigid. They feel really solid (so do the 8030C's). And... well... they are really well designed and engineered.

shuri

I thought Genelecs were supposted to use toroidal power supplies instead of switching.. maybe i'm thinking about something else.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I thought Genelecs were supposted to use toroidal power supplies instead of switching.. maybe i'm thinking about something else.
Not the most recent versions. The 8351A has a toroidal, but not the 8351B AFAIK. And a universal power supply which is one of the reasons I could purchase a EU spec product and use it in the US with the proper power cord.

Specs compared:

8351A
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 6.18.41 PM.png

8351B
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 6.18.30 PM.png

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks for the report, it's hard to imagine a ~30 Hz F6 from such a "small" and loud speaker,
Remember you can't change the laws of physics and only so much can be accomplished with 2 x 8.6 oval drivers, a small housing, and a bunch of DSP. ;)

bricksie

Oh yeah... There's a difference.

Between analog through the Dac8 via USB and digital via AES/EBU, I find the digital setup has the edge on transparency (to be expected). And I can hear it clearly. Not night and day, but the recordings sound subjectively a step "more real".

I finally hooked up everything together. It's a little complex... And used GLM to calibrate the monitors for analog and digital inputs. I stored the analog settings in the monitors so they are present even if GLM is off.

GLM is essential to have them sounding at their best. Bass is soooo tight and articulate now that I have a custom calibration for each monitor. It's impressive... And it goes deep. Much deeper than my previous amp + passive speakers or the 8030C in midfield duty. I don't feel a need for a sub at all. The house shakes with some heavy electronic music like Trentemoller's "Evil Dub", it's deep and articulate.

Imaging is also excellent and very precise comparable with the 8030C. But the thing that impresses me the most is how cohesive and detailed the sound presentation is. Good recordings feel very real. Like the mics are connected to my brain directly. It was a worthy investment for sure.

I think the 8030C also have similar qualities, but the 8351B does it better and bigger. Not really a fair comparison, but my point is that they are both excellent. The 8030C works really well in my home office attic space.

And finally, the Design stands are excellent in hiding all the cables needed for the analog, digital, GLM, and power connections. I still need to work on cable management outside of the stands..

Thanks for the report - interesting that there's such a noticeable difference between analogue and digital, especially since the DAC8 is transparent. Can you let us know the size of your room and the distance to your listening position? I'm also interested in the 8351Bs - my listening room is about 11ft wide x 23ft long x 7ft high, and the listening position would be about 9-10ft from the speakers. It would be great to be able to do without a sub for most listening (maybe get one for movies since they'll double as TV speakers).

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Thanks for the report - interesting that there's such a noticeable difference between analogue and digital, especially since the DAC8 is transparent. Can you let us know the size of your room and the distance to your listening position? I'm also interested in the 8351Bs - my listening room is about 11ft wide x 23ft long x 7ft high, and the listening position would be about 9-10ft from the speakers. It would be great to be able to do without a sub for most listening (maybe get one for movies since they'll double as TV speakers).
My room is 19x16x8 feet and I’m about 10 feet away from the speakers. Speakers are against the long side and the room is untreated and asymmetrical. It is a rectangle but with multiple openings and different surfaces - it’s my living room. I always had trouble integrating large speakers and subs in that room. The 8351B is no exception, even with the -4dB bass tilt (it sounds good though), but once it is calibrated with GLM, it’s just something else. Bass is voluminous but well balanced, well articulated and perfectly integrated with the higher frequencies. I really don’t feel the need to clutter my living area with subs... I’m sure Genelec subs would sound perfect calibrated with GLM though. And they also play very loud with little distortion. You need to keep an eye on the volume, it’s easy to go too loud.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Quick question on the 8351s, I read so much about speakers of this active genre having noticable hum or hiss when no music is playing. Is this an issue with the Genelec's as it seems to be with many others?
TIA,
Sal

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
^ there is no audible hiss at all with Genelecs
Good to hear, dang well shouldn't be.
I just can't understand why so many owners of the active monitors have voiced those complaints here?
I've had 4 fairly high efficiency speakers in my room lately and none of them shown any hum or hiss while connected to my Adcoms.
There just doesn't seem to be any excuse for stuff like the little JBL's that have been designed from the ground up to work with the little plate amps they put in them to have audible noise???
But poop, I'm no engineer. :confused:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Remember you can't change the laws of physics and only so much can be accomplished with 2 x 8.6 oval drivers, a small housing, and a bunch of DSP. ;)
Bass reflex does make this a bit more complicated, but a subwoofer would obviously be more than welcome with a few meters of distance; though both @echopraxia and @EchoChamber seem to say that its output defies its size. But when you consider that the woofer area is around the same as a 9" (9.3" to be exact, but these aren't rectangular) round woofer, that the woofers' amplifier's power went from 150 to 250W and the woofer to midrange crossover frequency fom 490 to 320 Hz, it isn't that unbelievable. I mean, both the KH420 and 8260A have a 10" woofer with very high internal volume, proper porting and lots of watts and they don't exactly need a sub.

Going further here, how does bass reflex fits into Hoffman's law of "pick two amongst LF extension, cabinet size and efficiency"? Does it simply lower the LFX parameter by relieving the transducers from playing at a narrow frequency band?

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I just got my 8351B’s delivered yesterday, and was able to assemble them today. They look awesome and sound “pretty good” stock with Analog inputs from my Dac8. Haven’t had a chance to spend any time listening critically yet... DSM and Digital hook up is next... Thank you all helping define this purchase!! :)

PS: Isopods will be removed when I find my set of star keys.

View attachment 85531
Now that I look at it, it's too bad you can't place them near a solid wall, you're losing something like 6 dB of free bass.

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
I just wonder what ADC/DAC chip is in there.
On the online, There is no answer about it So I opened my 8351B.

After all the processes, I realized that the chip is just in back panel..But I'm satisfied to see what's in there. Anyway, the chip is AKM AK4621EF. Not so high end chip but fairly good. And the Condenser used in power supply(Samwha) is from South Korea (my country)! I'm so glad to see it!

Although there was a problem that wind noise occurs after reassemble but finally I found the cause and everything is okay :)

If there are anyone who want to disassemble Genelec, please care about the BOLTS!
Great post, thank you for sharing! There was no dampening material inside, right? Interesting...

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
Bent port, cheap amp, cheap DAC... 4k$ price tag. They're making 3.5k$ profit, easy.
Yes, and history of milions of dollars spent on research and development, plus the casted aluminium enclosures, which is technology where only the molds cost like small house. Your smart-ass comment has no value, except of the obvious disclosure of the fact, that you don´t know what you are talking about :)

mkt

Oh yeah... There's a difference.

Between analog through the Dac8 via USB and digital via AES/EBU, I find the digital setup has the edge on transparency (to be expected). And I can hear it clearly. Not night and day, but the recordings sound subjectively a step "more real".
Beautiful setup! I'd like to hear more about this difference, with the usual ASR invocation of blind testing, calibrated levels, measurements, etc. I have 8331s and am using the analogue inputs.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Beautiful setup! I'd like to hear more about this difference, with the usual ASR invocation of blind testing, calibrated levels, measurements, etc. I have 8331s and am using the analogue inputs.
I’d suggest you try it with your 8331 and see which set up connects you more with the music. The digital connection using GLM for volume was Genelec’s recommended optimal set up when I was questioning their different monitor models and whether or not I should go with a SAM model. To me the subjective differences are very obvious - I didn’t expect them to be. The sound went from excellent to OMG!!

OP
J

js_k0914

IMHO, I’m using digital input in 8351B too.
After several listening tests by different DACs,
I just choose to use digital input. Though there was a little difference by Dac, but I think it is just difference, not improvement. Direct digital input can get rid of two needless additional AD - DA converting.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
IMHO, I’m using digital input in 8351B too.
After several listening tests by different DACs,
I just choose to use digital input. Though there was a little difference by Dac, but I think it is just difference, not improvement. Direct digital input can get rid of two needless additional AD - DA converting.
Any component addition introduces a small amount of distortion and loss (that migh or not be heard or felt), and all signals must go through Genelec’s DAC. From a purely logical point of view, I think it makes sense to minimize that path and go digital to avoid the unnecessary extra DA-AD sending an analog signal from a DAC. I keep my Dac8 in the mix for functionality and ease of use (I share the system with 3 other humans) so I can have other sources available outside of my computer such as AirPlay and Toslink.

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Now that I look at it, it's too bad you can't place them near a solid wall, you're losing something like 6 dB of free bass.
You are right... Years ago I had a dedicated listening system in my basement, but I ended up never listening to it, because I didn’t really feel like spending long periods of time in there by myself... My living room is far from perfect acoustically, but I feel the room correction technology Genelec offers makes the most out of that space. And it is a much nicer place to spend time in.

But in turn, in my home office system the 8030C’s are very close to the wall behind them and I need to set bass tilt to -6dB for some balance. Trentemoller shakes the walls in there even at -6dB bass tilt... :-D

Being an amateur, I really only need an optimal home system, I don’t need accuracy at a pro level (not to say I wouldn’t want that).

q3cpma

Major Contributor
But in turn, in my home office system the 8030C’s are very close to the wall behind them and I need to set bass tilt to -6dB for some balance. Trentemoller shakes the walls in there even at -6dB bass tilt... :-D
I was saying this in the context of GLM use. Otherwise, you should do some EQ on the 8030C yourself; personally, I use drc-fir/brutefir.

Top Bottom