• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I disassembled my Genelec 8351B

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I should definitely get both styles for different music and moods :cool:

Saddest part of this purchase is that now I might need to buy better room to get sweeter looking graphs :facepalm:
I think the 8351B's you have are perfect in black. Cable management might require some thinking given your room layout (nice place btw)...

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I'm at a loss for words to understand what it is about that silly cartoon junk would be at all fitting in that elegant room???
That's obviously a joke, though this is quite the strong reaction. If this comes from someone watching the garbage served through TV and theaters, be prepared to feel my smugness across the Atlantic.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That's obviously a joke, though this is quite the strong reaction
Sorry, I didn't see the joke in that, a wink or something to key the humor intent would be nice. ;)

onion

Yes, they are the Genelec Design stands (the same as K&M 26785). And yes, that’s the lowest setting. Speakers are tilted down 2.5° for proper alignment with the listening position. I like the cable management they provide and stability. I just need to work on the cables on the floor now. I got some sleeves to group them all into one single cable harness per channel for the low voltage cables. I intended to keep PC’s separated.
Do you know the minimum distance that you can get the speakers to the wall using these stands? I'm playing around with placement with my setup (checking for SBIR and trying to optimise XTC for BACCH), so would like the option of having stands that allow 5cm placement from the wall.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Do you know the minimum distance that you can get the speakers to the wall using these stands? I'm playing around with placement with my setup (checking for SBIR and trying to optimise XTC for BACCH), so would like the option of having stands that allow 5cm placement from the wall.
I’ll measure and give you a precise answer, but I don’t think 5cm is possible with these stands.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Here are some pictures from the back with a ruler. Minimum is more 15 cm when counting the base if you have super flexible cables...

7BF06EDE-0CA9-4725-8594-828908C2964C.jpeg
CF1E572F-1953-4C54-BE7D-61AE8E2CB4C0.jpeg

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Thanks - I still went ahead and ordered them :)
I really like the way they hide the cables and keep the speakers suspended. Also super stable - everything is connected and fool proof. It’s a solid functional design that matches the monitors.

3A828665-09C5-492F-93DC-E2A7664AEC44.jpeg

onion

That was my thought after seeing your pictures EchoChamber. I've got some cheap stands at the moment with a platform that the isopod feet and speaker sit on. I'm experimenting with lots of different speaker placements and it's a pain moving this around. And the cables are a mess

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Not directly relevant to the topic at hand, but I think that "I disassembled my Genelec 8351B" should win some sort of ASR Best Thread Title award.
It's the kind of thread title an ASR simulator bot might come up with after digesting all of our collective writings.

das

Forum Donor
I am considering them also. Are they appropriate as primary speakers for music enjoyment (without adding a subwoofer) for say 8-9' distance from listener in a medium sized room, or are they more for music makers - closer near-field monitoring etc. I just want to listen and enjoy - without feeling like I need to add a bass unit or two or get full floor standers. How far out from wall should they be if on stands?
Thanks

MFE222

Hello everybody,

I was searching for the same topic on web and luckily came across with this topic!

I'm interested in 8341 speakers. I want to run them with my Apollo X16 interface via AES-EBU connection. But, I'm a little bit confused about the dynamic range of the speakers. They have an onboard DA converter and you say they're AKM AK4621EF chips. AKM states they have 115 dB of DA dynamic range on their official website wheras my audio interface Apollo X16 has 133dB of dynamic range on it's DA. As I know, when the AES outputs are used, the DA chip of the audio interface is disabled, and the DA chip of the speaker becomes the main DA converter of the system , right? But with the numbers I've mentioned, it seems I'm sacrificing a lot of dynamic range -and headroom of course- ..

Do I draw up a new conspiracy theory, or is it a scientific true? I listened and liked the sound of this speakers but this issue confuse me a lot.

I'd be glad to hear your precious comments and contributions

Thanks

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Hello everybody,

I was searching for the same topic on web and luckily came across with this topic!

I'm interested in 8341 speakers. I want to run them with my Apollo X16 interface via AES-EBU connection. But, I'm a little bit confused about the dynamic range of the speakers. They have an onboard DA converter and you say they're AKM AK4621EF chips. AKM states they have 115 dB of DA dynamic range on their official website wheras my audio interface Apollo X16 has 133dB of dynamic range on it's DA. As I know, when the AES outputs are used, the DA chip of the audio interface is disabled, and the DA chip of the speaker becomes the main DA converter of the system , right? But with the numbers I've mentioned, it seems I'm sacrificing a lot of dynamic range -and headroom of course- ..

Do I draw up a new conspiracy theory, or is it a scientific true? I listened and liked the sound of this speakers but this issue confuse me a lot.

Thanks
Not an audible concern, the amplifier will have more noise anyway.

Hello everybody,

Thanks

Genelecs routes the signal through it's DAC to apply dsp whether you use aes/ebu or xlr connection. You can't bypass genelecs own dac.
I don't know for sure how that 133 db dynamic range turns out, could be just better signal to noise ratio in which case it doesn't matter if you aren't listening the speakers with very low volume and your ear right next to diaphragm.

But I might be wrong about the dynamic range. Someone with more knowledge please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everybody,

Thanks
Whilst our ears have a dynamic range capacity of around 120dB (it is frequency dependant) in any real world situation, be it a recording of birdsong, music or a racing car the actual dynamic range of that sound will be a much smaller range, either near 0dB, near 75dB or near 120dB, and the person doung the recording will have set the gain control on their recorder to pick up this "slice" of the total dynamic range we can hear and place it in the best quality area of the recorder, ie just not clipping. The slice is likely to be little more than 70dB and almost always less.
When we play it back we have a volume control to set a comfortable level we like.
I would be prepared to bet £1 of my own money that few, if any, listener would listen to the birdsong at around 0-40dB at home and whilst many may want to listen to the music at near 75dB my £1 would be on the table again about anybody wanting a HiFi that could replay a racing car at 120dB, they would turn it down a bit (a lot).
This is just a way of saying don't worry about the chip dynamic range in conjunction with your volume control, it is more than enough for what you will play back, be it music, birdsong or racing cars.
The only exception is, in theory, perhaps film sound tracks which may have birdsong, music and racing cars all in it.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Arguably the more interesting question is, how is a 3-way DSP speaker making do with a stereo codec? Where is the third DAC channel?

The dynamic range required in an active speaker is about equal to its peak SPL output at the listening position (after all, the designer will be able to dial in levels rather accurately). 8341A peak output is about 111 dB SPL at 1 m and 108 dB SPL at 1.5 m, so midrange DAC performance is quite adequate to cover that.

Of course it had to be an AKM part... ;-/

Hedifromibiza

Hello everybody,

Thanks
Hi I think if you go analog your soundcard is making a d/a convertion and your speaker is making the a/d trough the dsp and making after this a d/a convertion so you can listen to your music.. ( the last convertion i’m not sure thou) and if you go digitital trough aes the only convertion wil be d/a after it went trough the dsp.. but this is my theory ??? So if anybody know this better please reply because im very interested in this proces 2 ???? Grtzzz

Top Bottom