• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I disassembled my Genelec 8351B

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I like the slim box beneath the TV ;)
The Dac8 is also very special... I can thank ASR for enlightening me on my current system. It was not cheap, but I don’t plan to buy anything audio related any time soon.... Unless I find ~$20k laying around for a pair of W371A...

The Dac8 is also very special... I can thank ASR for enlightening me on my current system. It was not cheap, but I don’t plan to buy anything audio related any time soon.... Unless I find ~$20k laying around for a pair of W371A...

I would love to know the effect w371 has on sound when paired with the Ones!
Caught myself drooling over the W371's just yesterday :D I hope Genelec comes up with W371b which would be at least half the price and design could be more like the Ones. Now the monitors sitting above w371 sticks out like sore thumb IMO.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Last edited:

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I would love to know the effect w371 has on sound when paired with the Ones!
Caught myself drooling over the W371's just yesterday :D I hope Genelec comes up with W371b which would be at least half the price and design could be more like the Ones. Now the monitors sitting above w371 sticks out like sore thumb IMO.
Indeed, they look like big coffins... lol. Not easy to come up with subs that look acceptable for home usage. Even in white they are a little too present and rustic. A contrast to the molded cabinets of the Ones. The Ones remind me of a Henry Moore sculpture.

outfaced

I’m using every single connector on my right speaker:
Just for my understanding - do Genelec converts the analog signal also do digital to DSP it, or analog goes right to the amp?
If there is a AD conversation first, then is actually no point of using external dac ...

Never had the chance to listen to a Genelec speaker, but i am pretty impressed from the reviews and opinions on them. From acoustical point of view they get almost everything right by the books - proper wave guide, coax, bass is hidden so no interferences, rigid cabinet ... on and offaxis response is top. But the electronics - can this be better then 2-3K$ dac + 2-3K$ amp?
Like I said - just wondering. Never heard them live, but will try to do it.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
can this be better then 2-3K$ dac + 2-3K$ amp?
Certainly as good as since audibly transparent DACs and amps are not super expensive and the most expensive bits, the enclosure(s), are the speaker cabinet, so not needed.

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Just for my understanding - do Genelec converts the analog signal also do digital to DSP it, or analog goes right to the amp?
If there is a AD conversation first, then is actually no point of using external dac ...

Never had the chance to listen to a Genelec speaker, but i am pretty impressed from the reviews and opinions on them. From acoustical point of view they get almost everything right by the books - proper wave guide, coax, bass is hidden so no interferences, rigid cabinet ... on and offaxis response is top. But the electronics - can this be better then 2-3K$ dac + 2-3K$ amp?
Like I said - just wondering. Never heard them live, but will try to do it.
If you only have one digital source, the simplest (and purest) path is to send it directly to the speakers DAC through AES. I use both because I have multiple sources and for ease of use. Analog inputs are the default in my system and will work whether my computer and GLM are ON or OFF. For critical listening, I switch to digital and control the volume with GLM.

The analog input will be converted to digital at the input to be DSPed and then back to analog before being fed to the amps.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
But the electronics - can this be better then 2-3K$ dac + 2-3K$ amp?
The sum of DAC+AMP+SPEAKERS was in my case. The overall resolution was greatly enhanced. Especially noticeable on hard to reproduce recordings such as large scale orchestra. I never looked back... My previous passive system was no slouch (Dac8+Nord Purifi+SB Accoustics ARA Be), but may pair of 8351B are significantly better IMO.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Maybe a pair of JL Gotham v2? :D
To me, the best sub is no sub... The 8351B have plenty of low end information and presence for my needs. But... If I were to add subs, I’d sell my car, get a cheaper car and a pair of W371A to complement the 8351B’s.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Yeah, it was partly meant as a joke. You said the Genelec subs look like big coffins, and I thought some that looks like the Batmobile might be a good alternative ;)

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Yeah, it was partly meant as a joke. You said the Genelec subs look like big coffins, and I thought some that looks like the Batmobile might be a good alternative ;)
lol, I know... I forgot to add “lol” on that post. Those are also huge coffins...

So I've been listening these stunning babes for past 2 weeks and have to say they are worth of all the hype :p Cable managements is still in progress and I think I might have bought too short cables.. Also I found out that shape of my listening room is far from optimal, I had to bring the speakers quite forward to avoid dips at around 40hz, 60hz and 80hz.

Actually the sound was awesome (although lacking some bass) when speakers were positioned in the corners but when I did some measurements with GLM I noticed these huge -20dB dips in low freq. That led to the great search for more optimal placement and ruin of feng shui :oops:.

Holographic sound image these speakers create at 2.4m distance is incredible but they are also seriously fun to listen at really close distance of 1-1.5m!
I think I also noticed clear difference between Tidal normal cd quality and MQA version. My guess is that they have digitally manipulated sound stage in MQA files somehow. I can hear sound clearly coming from position of speakers when listening MQA version of track and when listening normal cd quality of the same track then sound comes from pinpoint center. I couldn't hear any diffrence in sound stage when using my headphones, I was only able to perceive the difference with 8351b's.
Have you heard this shift in sound stage when listening MQA tracks?
20201101_122251.jpg

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Cable managements is still in progress and I think I might have bought too short cables.. Also I found out that shape of my listening room is far from optimal, I had to bring the speakers quite forward to avoid dips at around 40hz, 60hz and 80hz.
After you get all settled I'd take them into someone that does car wrapping and get them wrapped in a pattern that matches or blends with that awesome cradenza. There's some amazing stuff available. Easily removed to retain resale value. Just a thought.
150266.jpg

96835baab4f0e6ebf67c24c58249c8e1.jpg

0eb043746b2ef78c1bc9f92ef1ba4a94.jpg

q3cpma

Major Contributor
After you get all settled I'd take them into someone that does car wrapping and get them wrapped in a pattern that matches or blends with that awesome cradenza. There's some amazing stuff available. Easily removed to retain resale value. Just a thought.
150266.jpg

96835baab4f0e6ebf67c24c58249c8e1.jpg

0eb043746b2ef78c1bc9f92ef1ba4a94.jpg
This pattern would go much better with his furniture.
index.php

Attachments

• out.jpg
    out.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,633
I should definitely get both styles for different music and moods :cool:

Saddest part of this purchase is that now I might need to buy better room to get sweeter looking graphs :facepalm:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This pattern would go much better with his furniture.
I'm at a loss for words to understand what it is about that silly cartoon junk would be at all fitting in that elegant room???

Top Bottom