• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I disassembled my Genelec 8351B

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was saying this in the context of GLM use. Otherwise, you should do some EQ on the 8030C yourself; personally, I use drc-fir/brutefir.
Yes, that’s step 2 with REW+Roon. Compensate for peaks below 100 Hz for more accuracy. Maybe reducing analog bass tilt in the process as well. (I want to keep some analog EQ for when not playing through Roon)

Last edited:

soundwave76

Forum Donor
If one has Genelec SAM models with digital input, there should be no hesitation at all not to use them. Using analog inputs with the additional AD-DA conversion makes no sense at all. None. Zero. :)

pierre

Forum Donor
^ there is no audible hiss at all with Genelecs
Beautiful setup! I'd like to hear more about this difference, with the usual ASR invocation of blind testing, calibrated levels, measurements, etc. I have 8331s and am using the analogue inputs.

This comment prompted me to try. After years of using the analog version, I plugged my RME AES out to my 8361. I also hear a difference which surprise me a lot. I am investigating to understand why, it goes against my belief. Hiss did completely disappears (it was low, you had to be close to the speaker to hear it but still it did annoy me). What change? Cabling is not the same of course, also subwoofer cabling is also different. I will experiment a bit.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
This comment prompted me to try. After years of using the analog version, I plugged my RME AES out to my 8361. I also hear a difference which surprise me a lot. I am investigating to understand why, it goes against my belief. Hiss did completely disappears (it was low, you had to be close to the speaker to hear it but still it did annoy me). What change? Cabling is not the same of course, also subwoofer cabling is also different. I will experiment a bit.
If you have the GLM kit, you can use it to control volume and the RME just as a USB/S-PDIF to AES/EBU converter. The digital volume in the speaker happens after DSP.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Do you know if the volume button accessory can work with the GLM kit without it being connected to a computer?
I’m not sure the GLM kit works by itself without the GLM app running. I think the kit is just an interface.

pierre

Forum Donor
If you have the GLM kit, you can use it to control volume and the RME just as a USB/S-PDIF to AES/EBU converter. The digital volume in the speaker happens after DSP.

That would be nice but the remote from the RME is much better: speaker A/B, mono, headphone volume, dim, 8 configs ... On the GLM I can control another set of parameters (configs, sub or not, mute, dim, calibrated levels ...)
The fact the RME is switching instantly is very nice for speaker a/b.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
That would be nice but the remote from the RME is much better: speaker A/B, mono, headphone volume, dim, 8 configs ... On the GLM I can control another set of parameters (configs, sub or not, mute, dim, calibrated levels ...)
The fact the RME is switching instantly is very nice for speaker a/b.
I got the GLM remote and it is very minimalist indeed with two buttons for volume and a 3rd button I’m not sure what it does, mute perhaps... (I need to read the manual) I rarely use it, instead I control from the GLM app in MacOS next to Roon.

My understanding is that having the digital volume right before the signal is converted to analog at the speakers provides optimal signal to noise. Whether that can be subjectively perceived or not is another question.

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I got the GLM remote and it is very minimalist indeed with two buttons for volume and a 3rd button I’m not sure what it does, mute perhaps... (I need to read the manual) I rarely use it, instead I control from the GLM app in MacOS next to Roon.

My understanding is that having the digital volume right before the signal is converted to analog at the speakers provides optimal signal to noise. Whether that can be subjectively perceived or not is another question.
My understanding is that it allows for just one round of dithering: at the end. Not that it's extremely important; personally, I'll be forced to do digital volume control on my computer if the GLM kit does need a computer for the remote to work.

mkt

My understanding is that it allows for just one round of dithering: at the end. Not that it's extremely important; personally, I'll be forced to do digital volume control on my computer if the GLM kit does need a computer for the remote to work.
I have the wired GLM volume control, and I just checked that it still controls the volume with the GLM app closed.
1601830955110.png

I think you can adjust the volume with genelec remote or volume knob via GLM only providing GLM usb power, so the GLM doesn't need to be attached to PC.

I'm waiting my 8351b to arrive but meanwhile I have been loitering at my friends place listening to his 8351a.
He had just bought digital connections for his 8351a and we did some poorly controlled AB testing with digital input vs analog input.
I think the difference was clear but subtle (can you even say so :D?) Sound became even more transparent, like thick hot summer day air versus crisp cold winter air, If you can relate to what I'm trying to describe :D
My main point is that it was better with digital input, change was small but noticeable.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I can confirm that the wireless remote will control the volume without the GLM app running.

A9AE93F3-78E5-4734-9F11-444291C51633.jpeg

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Fauré’s Requiem never sounded so good. The amount of detail retrieval is quite fenomenal, yet with this big organic presentation (when present in the recording). Sorry for all the subjectivism, I’m just really impressed by these monitors...

31E52301-3158-47CB-9413-B150FC398E49.jpeg

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Hey, Speaking of stands! (Sorry if this is off topic) Have you come by any decent looking tripod style stands? I'm looking for speaker stands for my upcoming 8351b pair.

bunnyfuzz

Fauré’s Requiem never sounded so good. The amount of detail retrieval is quite fenomenal, yet with this big organic presentation (when present in the recording). Sorry for all the subjectivism, I’m just really impressed by these monitors...

View attachment 86301

Are these K&M 26785 Monitor Stands? Are they set at their lowest possible height setting in this photo?

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Are these K&M 26785 Monitor Stands? Are they set at their lowest possible height setting in this photo?
Yes, they are the Genelec Design stands (the same as K&M 26785). And yes, that’s the lowest setting. Speakers are tilted down 2.5° for proper alignment with the listening position. I like the cable management they provide and stability. I just need to work on the cables on the floor now. I got some sleeves to group them all into one single cable harness per channel for the low voltage cables. I intended to keep PC’s separated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom