• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I disassembled my Genelec 8351B

napfkuchen

So, what class of amp does the Genelac use for each part of the tri-amp? Also, why 550 W and is that continuous indefinite rating or something else? I also don't understand why so much power is needed unless the sensitivity of the drivers is low.
My 8331s are advertised with 144w in total, but labeled continous power is about 50% (can't tell it right now as they are packaged for moving...). They clearly are not designed for high output but very low frequency extension. The 8331s measured down to 40 Hz at 0 DB in my room. Their tiny lf drivers (65 x 130 mm each) won't allow very high output. I added a 7350 sub for more "oomph" and can change their character with a single click in glm software.
Genelec gives you the best coaxial design available for shorter listening distances, with more direct sound and easy to use room correction. In terms of value for money they clearly won't rank first place. But for me they stopped the urge to upgrade my hifi setup but instead improve room acoustics as a final upgrade.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I disassembled my Genitals and although there was a problem that wind noise occurs after reassembly but finally I found the cause and everything is okay
:eek: Very glad to hear you finally got the problem sorted. ;)

kmidst

I believe they're good speakers. Still think they're overpriced though. And those power ratings don't make much sense. High power ratings are needed mostly for concert gear that has to play loud from a distance and subwoofers which need more power to produce a similar apparent loudness. A full range speaker drawing 500W should absolutely be deafening. Something isn't adding up.

YSC

Major Contributor
I just wonder what ADC/DAC chip is in there.
On the online, There is no answer about it So I opened my 8351B.

After all the processes, I realized that the chip is just in back panel..But I'm satisfied to see what's in there. Anyway, the chip is AKM AK4621EF. Not so high end chip but fairly good. And the Condenser used in power supply(Samwha) is from South Korea (my country)! I'm so glad to see it!

Although there was a problem that wind noise occurs after reassemble but finally I found the cause and everything is okay :)

If there are anyone who want to disassemble Genelec, please care about the BOLTS!
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I don’t get the last part of please care about the bolts? Is that you didn’t tighten them enough?

Top Bottom