• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I did measure a difference between my new Kimber 12TC and AudioQuest 14/4

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Why not (carefully and appropriately) measure the "sound", since that, supposedly, is what's being changed in the end?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not (carefully and appropriately) measure the "sound", since that, supposedly, is what's being changed in the end?
It's a whole lot more sensitive and repeatable to perform purely electronic measurements, for example sampling the voltage right at the speaker terminals. And even more repeatable to measure it like Amir does.

Reactions: VQR

rrc4860

Okay.. let me ask an absurd rookie question. What does this mean to someone who doesn't understand such in depth technical stuff? I was considering replacing my AudioQuest Gibraltar biwire cables with Kimber 12TC biwire-- i have a MA5300 integrated McIntosh amp and Klipsch Forte IV speakers. Google brought me to this post. Please don't beat the crap out of me if this question doesn't merit a response.

rrc4860

It means that you are replacing one way too pricey cable with another way to pricey cable.
Sound wise? There will be no difference.
I did get the Gibraltars used at 650 bucks. I do appreciate the reality check. How about this one: should I get a phono stage so I can use MC coil phono cartridges instead of the MM I'm stuck with (thanks McIntosh.) Currently using a Sumiko Amethyst on a MOFI ultra-deck turntable. Fire away, please

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How about this one: should I get a phono stage so I can use MC coil phono cartridges instead of the MM I'm stuck with (thanks McIntosh.)
Simply being an MC does not automatically make for a better cartridge. Your Sumiko is a good performer.

What "problem" with your system are you hoping to solve with these changes?

rrc4860

Simply being an MC does not automatically make for a better cartridge. Your Sumiko is a good performer.

What "problem" with your system are you hoping to solve with these changes?
I have to admit-- I've fallen for the hypes all over the place. I need to just sit with the system and enjoy it. You asked me for a "problem"-- I don't really have one.. I'm one of those easily seduced by the promises. Thanks for your reality check.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pink noise suggestion 'sounded' like a good idea.
Forget the speaker(s) >> use some dummy-load(s) at end of AQ/Kimbers!
If all else fails, rent a micro-Ohmmeter for giggles.:facepalm:

ta240

Major Contributor
because that isn't giving the desired results ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Speedskater

Major Contributor
How about this one: should I get a phono stage so I can use MC coil phono cartridges instead of the MM I'm stuck wit
This probably needs to be in another thread and another sub-forum.
But, speaker cables are super simple.
And phono cartridges >> cables >> pre-amp input stages are super complex.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom