• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I desperately need an amp, please help!

Mavison

I own a Network Audio Player Denon DNP-800NE (so already have a DAC) and recently bought a pair of Klipsch rp 600m speakers.
Now i need an amp (the only i have is a beloved Luxman L3 of the Paleolithic period that is quite certainly out of spec because sounds weird to my ears).

Just out of curiosity, I bought on Amazon a cheap unbranded 50 w class D amp and i’m really surprise about the results! But it’s not enough for me: certainly i’m not an audiophile but i love and appreciate both music and sound quality.

With a budget under 500 euros, what’s your suggestions considering that I would like tone controls (for night and ambient listening) and, possibly, a digital entry for TV?

Please help me, i’m so confuse… Don’t know if considering a classical-rack solution like, for example, a Cambridge amp/receiver or a chinese brick like a SMSL, Aiyima, Topping, Loxjie…

However I’m oriented on the second solution... don't always like the design but seem a more modern choice to me.

Thanks in advance from Italy.

Mavison

Triliza

Forum Donor
How loud do you usually listen, do you have a big place, what is your distance from the speakers?

OP
M

Mavison

How loud do you usually listen, do you have a big place, what is your distance from the speakers?
Hey Triliza, thank very much for your reply!

Listening from normal to quite loud (prevalently Jazz, funky, rock, blues), room is little bit more than 20 sq mt..

Right now i’m considering two option: Loxjie A30 (i don’t need its DAC but has digital entry that i'd use for the Tv) or a used Cambridge CXA 80 from a store nearby. Which sound better in your opinion?

Subwoofer? No room for it for the moment, unfortunately

I realize these are very different solutions and budget but as I told… I’m confused.

So your suggestions are very well needed and appreciated.

Thanks again.

Mavison

Willem

Major Contributor
I have the impression you want an integrated amplifier. If so, at your budget the Yamaha AS501/701/801 would be good options, depending on your precise requirements and local prices.

litemotiv

I own a Network Audio Player Denon DNP-800NE (so already have a DAC)

Why not simply the PMA-800NE which is the amplifier that is supposed to pair with the DNP-800NE?

denpma800neps_dendnp800neps_1.jpg

Klint

I own a Network Audio Player Denon DNP-800NE (so already have a DAC) and recently bought a pair of Klipsch rp 600m speakers.
Now i need an amp (the only i have is a beloved Luxman L3 of the Paleolithic period that is quite certainly out of spec because sounds weird to my ears).

Just out of curiosity, I bought on Amazon a cheap unbranded 50 w class D amp and i’m really surprise about the results! But it’s not enough for me: certainly i’m not an audiophile but i love and appreciate both music and sound quality.

With a budget under 500 euros, what’s your suggestions considering that I would like tone controls (for night and ambient listening) and, possibly, a digital entry for TV?

Please help me, i’m so confuse… Don’t know if considering a classical-rack solution like, for example, a Cambridge amp/receiver or a chinese brick like a SMSL, Aiyima, Topping, Loxjie…

However I’m oriented on the second solution... don't always like the design but seem a more modern choice to me.

Thanks in advance from Italy.

Mavison
Why not the Topping PA5, or PA3S. It should work.

OP
M

Mavison

I have the impression you want an integrated amplifier. If so, at your budget the Yamaha AS501/701/801 would be good options, depending on your precise requirements and local prices.
Thanks Willem, 501 is in budget but damn, what a big brick. And I see only in black online. Do you consider it good sounding?

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Right now i’m considering two option: Loxjie A30 (i don’t need its DAC but has digital entry that i'd use for the Tv) or a used Cambridge CXA 80 from a store nearby. Which sound better in your opinion?
I would go with CXA80 if you have the space.

Willem

Major Contributor
The Yamaha AS501 measures rather well. I bought a silver one last year for my daughter for only euro 359 (but prices have gone up since). Just to make sure, I tried it with my Harbeth P3ESR speakers, and the combination sounded just as good as with my Quad 606-2. I would not worry about the sound quality and I would be very surprised if another well designed amplifier sounded different, let alone better. That is not how things work. It is a proven traditional design, with all traditional features such as tone and balance controls, plus a variable loudness switch, MM input and also optical and coaxial digital inputs, and a subwoofer output. It has a low output impedance/high damping factor, so frequency response should be flat, even with somewhat problematic speakers. And 2x85 watt rms into 8 Ohm (a bit more in reality) is enough with many speakers in small to medium sized rooms.

OP
M

Mavison

I would go with CXA80 if you have the space.
Thanks escape2, I'm considering. The seller ask 600,00 euros used but perfect condition, box, manual, ecx.. I'll try to negotiate a bit, if I don't change my mind.

OP
M

Mavison

The Yamaha AS501 measures rather well. I bought a silver one last year for my daughter for only euro 359 (but prices have gone up since). Just to make sure, I tried it with my Harbeth P3ESR speakers, and the combination sounded just as good as with my Quad 606-2. I would not worry about the sound quality and I would be very surprised if another well designed amplifier sounded different, let alone better. That is not how things work. It is a proven traditional design, with all traditional features such as tone and balance controls, plus a variable loudness switch, MM input and also optical and coaxial digital inputs, and a subwoofer output. It has a low output impedance/high damping factor, so frequency response should be flat, even with somewhat problematic speakers. And 2x85 watt rms into 8 Ohm (a bit more in reality) is enough with many speakers in small to medium sized rooms.
Thanks Willem, very convincing. But prices seems a little bit rised, as you know.

litemotiv

LItemotiv, I don't remember. I've read tons of stuff, it's just a perception of what I remember. No doubt I can be wrong.

Well that's kind of important don't you think? I really only see positive reviews online, but i haven't looked extensively obviously since i'm not in the market for an amp. ;)

Willem

Major Contributor
Most reviews are just subjective babble. Properly designed stereo amplifiers by mainstream manufacturers do not have a sonic signature, and have not done for ages. What matters is power, output impedance and facilities.

Martinvb

Thanks Klint, very nice gears and design (better then many others) but no tone controls, no digital entry...
You already have DAC? Then why not Topping PA5 (€350) + Raspberry Pi streamer (approx. €100, Pi4 2Gb, with case and power brick) with latest (3.x) Volumio software (FusionDSP plugin supports equalization + FIR). This IS audiophile grade.

Top Bottom