• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I currently own and use the Topping D10S as a DAC - will 'anything else' give me better performance?

NewbieAudiophileExpert

So I'm currently running apple music on my macbook pro with the apple music 'lossless switcher' - this is great because i can easily connect a 5 meter long USB-C to USB-B cable from my laptop to my Topping D10S which is situated right next to my amplifier, with the analog connections measuring only 30cms or so.

So far? I am really happy with this set up - it's powered by USB and this way i don't need to worry about switching the DAC on and off and the amp has a remote control.

As we all know, the audiophile space has so many DACs around, so many that it can be really confusing to people - my question is this, is there any point in me even looking to a DAC other than this one?

Since I only really need a DAC for USB, i don't even need another way of connecting the source, since for example a PC has HDMI, TOSLINK, and USB, whilst a TV is pretty much always connected via HDMI's eARC protocol these days..

This thing is basically like the Schiit Modi with the benefit of a USB to Toslink/SPDIF bridge.. and based on my research it's sort of slept on by many people? Like the components AND the design is fantastic and the cost is quite low.

OP
N

NewbieAudiophileExpert

The only reason for getting another DAC is its feature set, like volume control, tone controls, EQ. In your case I don't see those needs.
Ah yeah that would come in handy sometimes, although I do find the EQ within apple music more than sufficient to get more out of the listening experience, i really do like toggling between the different EQ settings for different genres... now that I think about it, apple music should make that AND the sample rate switching an automated process.

raif71

Major Contributor
Pairing my D10s with Schiit Asgard 3 and they sound good :)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-06-18 at 9.46.54 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-06-18 at 9.46.54 PM.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 127
Top Bottom