• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I can only buy speakers without listening to them... I need a recommendation.

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And, after some negotiating, I got the Focals for $1,900. They look and work like brand new. Considering they are $4.3K brand new right now on eBay, I'd say I got a deal. They look so sweet and so much more expensive than the F35s. That's nice.
I have the Focal Aria 926 and really like them. I’ve owned the Revel F206 for a while, and I think they’re pretty comparable overall with just slightly different strengths and weaknesses (and I really like the Aria’s strengths). They play very loud, and have impressive bass even without a subwoofer. So I think you’ll be very happy :)

Plus their fit and finish and aesthetics are IMO far better than Revel alternates.

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't seen spinorama measurements for the 926 or the F35s, hence, I need a recommendation.
Spin%2B-%2BRevel%2BConcerta2%2BF35.png

Good, with a mild directivity mismatch.

Not the 926 but the 936:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/focal-aria-936-loudspeaker-measurements

Frequency response only anechoic down to ~300Hz:
1114FA936fig4.jpg

I wouldn’t hookup a turntable to this in fear of the ringing of the tweeter, but other wise it’s pretty good.

1114FA936fig5.jpg

We can see that there is a directivity mismatch around the crossover region (expected crossing a 6.5” at 3100Hz). However, looking at the listening window curve, Focal reduced the tweeter’s level to compensate, which shows that they know what they are doing.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Congratulations on the Focals. I love my Aria 948s and would never trade them fow Revel Fs.

OP
F

fjhuerta

I wasn't ready for this. At least in the looks department, the Focals are so above the Revels it isn't funny. They arrived today. I'm in love. Can't wait to listen to them, but at least I unpacked them.

OP
F

fjhuerta

Final update...

The Focals are now running on my system, on the exact same positions my Revels were.

Very surprisingly enough, the Revels seem to have more bass, but it's probably all midbass. Bass extension is actually somewhat similar, which surprised me. The Focals may go a bit deeper, but not much.

They are able to handle pretty much all the power I could give them. They can definitely go louder than the Revels.

Having said that, I was as surprised as how different they are from the Revels, and how alike they are. Both are great, great speakers. Both have terrific mids. Both have amazing dispersion. But the Revels are a bit darker, have a bit more midbass, and a bit more recessed midrange.

The Focals are far, far more open, and highs seem more present, but never aggressive. The midrange is just perfect. I've read publications where they recommend "tuning" them with different components, and cables. LOL. If that's your objective, just get an EQ.

While the Revels are more laid back and easy going, the Focals sparkle and sing. I just love the way they sound. Really love them. Had I listened to the Revels and the Focals side by side, I'd probably still have picked the Focals. But its personal preference, and I'd definitely understand if someone preferred the Revel sound. On a given day, I would, too.

The looks... they look like fine furniture, while the Revels look like cool speakers. That's one aspect where the Focals are simply far above the Revels.

I wouldn't have gone wrong either way, though. I did love the Revels darker nature, and the louder midbass and, I guess, low bass. I love the Focal and their lighter, clearer sound. Either one is a slightly different particular interpretation of neutral. And both are among the finest speakers I've ever heard.

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciated it.

tuga

Major Contributor
I suggest that you consider buying used.

if you don’t like what you get you won’t lose much when you pass them on

Top Bottom