• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I can only buy speakers without listening to them... I need a recommendation.

fjhuerta

I just sold my Revel Concerta2 M16, which I enjoyed tremendously. But due to the pandemic, I have to buy my next speaker without being able to listen to it first. I know...

Anyway, since I actually bought my Revels based on measurements alone, I'd expect that getting a nicely engineered speaker would be sufficient.

Right now, I only have two available options: the Revel F35s, and the Focal Aria 926s (previously owned - hence the price).

One thing is, my room is extremely reflective, with tons of glass and exposed stone, bricks, metal, etc.

I haven't seen spinorama measurements for the 926 or the F35s, hence, I need a recommendation. A friend of mine, who used to sell both, told me the Arias have a smoother top end. That's all I know.

If I could end up with something like the Concerta2 M16s, but with higher power handling, I'd be perfectly fine.

Would you go for the Revels, or the Focals? Both are almost the same price ($200 difference).

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
One thing is, my room is extremely reflective, with tons of glass and exposed stone, bricks, metal, etc.
In this case I think you should get something with a small directivity index, both the Revels and the Focals have rather broad frequency response. How about some KEFs?

OP
F

fjhuerta

In this case I think you should get something with a small directivity index, both the Revels and the Focals have rather broad frequency response. How about some KEFs?

I thought about that, too. But surprisingly, the Revels sounded amazing in my room. And I can't get KEFs in Mexico :(

OP
F

fjhuerta

Why did you sell the Revel if you liked them?

I didn't like them... I LOVED them. Unfortunately, they were far too small for the space they were playing in. It's an open living / dining room. My wife and I sometimes play music late at night at really high volumes... and I realized pretty fast I needed something bigger.

Those speakers were never supposed to be there. But they were just so good, they ended up as my main ones.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I didn't like them... I LOVED them. Unfortunately, they were far too small for the space they were playing in. It's an open living / dining room. My wife and I sometimes play music late at night at really high volumes... and I realized pretty fast I needed something bigger.

Those speakers were never supposed to be there. But they were just so good, they ended up as my main ones.
I'd get the F35 then. Same sound signature but more output (don't know how much).

Hon

I had F35s briefly. Had to return them because one was severely damaged in shipment. In the meantime, I did set one up and listen to it in comparison to an LS50 on the other channel. Certainly not a scientific evaluation. The singleton sounded very good and was clearly more sensitive than the LS50, and maybe more open-sounding. These were the "white" F35s. I did not like the white finish, which seemed to be a cheap plastic lamination, so I would not get white again. Since I returned the F35 pair, I'm now open to other considerations, with the R3 floating at the top of my list with a few other tower contenders

OP
F

fjhuerta

I had F35s briefly. Had to return them because one was severely damaged in shipment. In the meantime, I did set one up and listen to it in comparison to an LS50 on the other channel. Certainly not a scientific evaluation. The singleton sounded very good and was clearly more sensitive than the LS50, and maybe more open-sounding. These were the "white" F35s. I did not like the white finish, which seemed to be a cheap plastic lamination, so I would not get white again. Since I returned the F35 pair, I'm now open to other considerations, with the R3 floating at the top of my list with a few other tower contenders

It's good to know about the white. I had the black M16s, and thought they looked nice.

From what I see, the strong preference is for the Revels. The Focals look lovely, but I don't know if their R&D is as comprehensive as Harman's.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't say how much output the F35's have, and the tests that Amir is conducting don't always include distortion with respect to power, as do the Canadian NRC tests (at least at a few sample points). But the prior model F12's (which do have bigger drivers) are capable of very high output--easily 100 dB average. They are also efficient at 90-91 dB/W/m, so a hundred watts should readily produce 110 dB peaks. Again, the F35's are a bit smaller. But I bet they will have significantly more output than the M16's.

The NRC measurements on Soundstagenetwork aren't new enough, for the latest models. But in that measurement, the Revel Concerta towers (the F12's) were 5 dB more sensitive than the Focal Sopra 2 (not a fair comparison, but the only tower they tested), and they sustained linearity (compared to 70 dB output) to SPLs at least 5 dB higher, near as I can estimate looking at the graphs. The Revel towers were also 5 dB more sensitive and sustained linearity to at least that much louder than the Concerta bookshelf models, the M12. (Also a predecessor to your M16).

You can use those perhaps as datapoints to compare Revel's specs (which seem to me accurate) to determine if the F35's will meet your needs.

Rick "good max SPL data is scarce as hen's teeth" Denney

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's good to know about the white. I had the black M16s, and thought they looked nice.

From what I see, the strong preference is for the Revels. The Focals look lovely, but I don't know if their R&D is as comprehensive as Harman's.
Focal certainly has R&D chops. Granted, they are not as big as Harman (a gigantic company), but they are France’s largest speaker company and are engineering focused.

Hon

I thought about that, too. But surprisingly, the Revels sounded amazing in my room. And I can't get KEFs in Mexico
I got the F35s from Crutchfield (first time dealing with them--and no relationship). They seem to ship internationally, and they seem to have an expansive inventory with a 60 day return policy and decent customer service. The Focals are priced for EACH; the F35s are for a pair.

OP
F

fjhuerta

Yep. The Focals are used, the Revels are new. That's why they are so close in price.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If I could end up with something like the Concerta2 M16s, but with higher power handling, I'd be perfectly fine.

Given this and that you love the Revel sound, I recommend getting either the F35 or M106 and call it day.

OP
F

fjhuerta

No votes for the Focals. That's quite telling. I see a pair of Revel F35s in my future....

OP
F

fjhuerta

Well, it seems the decision was made for me. The F36 are now out of stock, and there's only the F35s or the Arias. I see Focal in my future now.

Top Bottom