• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I am told my amps wont sound their best on these 98db speakers because they are 250wpc

OP
ABall

ABall

Forum Donor
250 watts into 98dB efficient speakers? Get your earplugs out. Protect your hearing.
LOL, never in a million will i turn up the volume enough to use 250watts, not on any speaker. My only issue will be my LDR volume control which does not go down quiet enough for late night chatting with background music playing, If I get the new speakers I might have to re think my pre even though its a passive buffer.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Without fft size, this graph doesn't show anything about the noise

SIY measured the noise in the Orchard (Bosc) amplifier in his review containing the AP plot above, and commented on connection to a ~100dB@1W/M speaker...

1615598411072.png

46uV is not insignificant.

OP
ABall

ABall

Forum Donor
SIY measured the noise in the Orchard (Bosc) amplifier in his review containing the AP plot above, and commented on connection to a ~100dB@1W/M speaker...

View attachment 117911
Thanks for pointing this out John, your input is greatly appreciated but all this tells me is orchard audio has an amplifier that would work well on high sensitivity speakers, we cant apply this globally to all SS amps can we? or are you saying we can? Sorry I am missing the relation to my question which asks why the designer has said high wattage amps dont fair well with high sensitivity speakers, showing one amp that would work tells me I should buy this amp?
Edit: but I realise your are talking to Boxem and not me.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Often high powered amplifiers have higher residual noise floors. More current flowing in idle state through more devices is part of it. Their specified S/N ratios are skyhigh of course, because they are referenced to full rated power, which means they often get a free ride. (not quite free, but not apples for apples comparison either)

Medium powered amplifiers are often the sweet spot in terms of residual noise in my experience. Look at the Benchmark AHB-2. It's basically a medium powered 100/200W (8/4R) amplifier and it's dead quiet.

The obsession with digging down into the weeds with ever increasing FFT sizes, looking for harmonics when it is the residual noise that a) you can hear and b) masks the THD anyway, is rather pointless IMO.

@boXem | audio Can you hear the residual on your amplifiers, at close range speakers (tweeters) with no input (not shorted).

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are amps and there are amps. My B&K amps, which were borderline high-end in the day, do make an audible hiss that I can hear up to about a foot from the tweeter. My speakers have a sensitivity of 91 dB/W/m.

It sounds like you do get something when you add digits to the price. :)

Rick “might buy a Benchmark amp when they are 15 years old and cheap on the used market” Denney

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
@boXem | audio Can you hear the residual on your amplifiers, at close range speakers (tweeters) with no input (not shorted).
No. Residual noise is also in the 30=40ish uv.
To be clear, my comment was not to point out a potential defect of the Orchard amplifier but rather say that in general a fft plot without knowing the fft size do not provide any information about the noise floor.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
To be clear, my comment was not to point out a potential defect of the Orchard amplifier but rather say that in general a fft plot without knowing the fft size do not provide any information about the noise floor.

I know that. Was just wanting an honest observation as I can always count on that from you. :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

It shows you the noise components (e.g., hum, buzz, idle tones) which tend to be the dominant noise sources.

I'm still trying to figure out how 47uV of noise is significant.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
It shows you the noise components (e.g., hum, buzz, idle tones) which tend to be the dominant noise sources.

I'm still trying to figure out how 47uV of noise is significant.
Indeed. At the exception of the white noise, which seems to be the only one present on the Orchard.
47 uV is not especially significant at the output of a speaker amplifier. Not a benchmark either (pun intended).
It seems to be a bit more significant for the output of a headphone amplifier if I believe what I read from other forum members.
It is definitely significant at the input of a microphone amplifier :D

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The ears of this 47 year old cannot hear any presence of my purifi amp with my ears 1 inch from the speaker. I have a very subtle loss of hearing in the very high range of my right ear, the left not so, so if it was present within the audible range I should be able to detect it.

Edit: test was not carried out under double blind conditions;)

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are amps and there are amps. My B&K amps, which were borderline high-end in the day, do make an audible hiss that I can hear up to about a foot from the tweeter. My speakers have a sensitivity of 91 dB/W/m.

It sounds like you do get something when you add digits to the price. :)

Rick “might buy a Benchmark amp when they are 15 years old and cheap on the used market” Denney
Or Rick could buy a purifi or hypex amplifier now and experience SOTA performance far sooner;)

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
ABall

ABall

Forum Donor
I wonder if the Purifi can run with the input buffer bypassed on a pair of 94dB speakers.....

Top Bottom