• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I am not smart enough for this forum

Prutser

Hi,

I love to come back every day to this forum, however to be honest I am by far not smart enough to understand the measurements and the results. Many times I struggle to understand the relationship between what is wrong to for example with certain loudspeakers or a dac compared to the measurement results. Am I the only one that finds it difficult to understand the reviews ? There are articles available explaining a lot but they still hard to understand for me.

What is the required educational level to be an regular visitor here? What is the best reading material for dummies like me ?

Thanks,

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
What is the best reading material?
Time, above all else. In a while the discussions will seem easy.

Any really burning questions right now?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hi,

I love to come back every day to this forum, however to be honest I am by far not smart enough to understand the measurements and the results. Many times I struggle to understand the relationship between what is wrong to for example with certain loudspeakers or a dac compared to the measurement results. Am I the only one that finds it difficult to understand the reviews ? There are articles available explaining a lot but they still hard to understand for me.

What is the required educational level to be an regular visitor here? What is the best reading material for dummies like me ?

Thanks,

Not about education level...just willingness to be persistent.

If you keep coming back and reading through some older threads along with the new ones, you'll find you've learned a little more every day. It adds up faster than you think, and more of it will make more sense.

Course, just when I think I've got a decent handle on things, out comes speaker reviews...and suddenly there's another mountain on the range that needs to be climbed.

Don't be afraid to ask questions...some very good 'explainers' around...

Welcome!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I once helped describe DAC measurements and what to expect here. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16502

I second patience is what you need. I have a background in structural engineering and still do not know about most of the stuff discussed here. After all, you also don't really spend a lot of time learning this "applied" stuff at university. At least not where I went

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Nobody is smart enough. Couse we all learn each day. And this is a good place to learn! ;)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
After all, you also don't really spend a lot of time learning this "applied" stuff at university.
+1

On top of the theoretical focus, the available literature is lacking in a lot of ways when it comes the most common listening situations, speakers and headphones.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I dont understand the science behind the electronics or their measurements but I'm at a point here where I can understand looking at the measurements enough to see good from bad, if that makes sense. Speakers, I have no idea!

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Thanks,
Speakers, I have no idea!

For speakers, in Amir’s first review (the JBL 305), he does a breakdown of the graphs.

For DACs, you want the graphs of distortion to be low in level, meaning the actual music is more pure.

For amps, it’s the same thing but the wattage they put out if also important of course.

If you ask specific questions, those here should be able to help.

tuga

Major Contributor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Or this if you prefer watching video:

Err, just don't take anything John Atkinson says about perception too seriously, though the technical explanations of speaker behaviour are good from what I remember of this lecture.

Edit: @Prutser In my signature is a compiled list of lectures on all sorts of audio and music topics. Click around until you hit something you like.

Last edited:

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I dont understand the science behind the electronics or their measurements but I'm at a point here where I can understand looking at the measurements enough to see good from bad, if that makes sense. Speakers, I have no idea!
Same here.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
For my part I've spent my life not understanding what I am reading. At first. Reading and re reading, you understand more and more.
If live was built only on what we know, it will be a life with no interest.
The engine is curiosity and learning.
But learning takes time. And sometimes a source of frustration.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Thanks,

Each hobby has a learning curve. Accurate reproduction of Audio in the home has a very steep learning curve. You have to reprogram yourself, to de-learn, to reach a decent level of comprehension, of result.
This requires patience. You will learn, frequenting this site. You are receiving an education. That doesn't come, yet, in pills-form.
Stay, read , ask questions, learn, experiment... You will find yourself the owner of a superior Audio system at a fraction of what you would have paid for the AC power cable of of a middle of the road priced but crappy-sounding audiophile system.

Marakk

Oh thank lord! Now I can ask my question in a safe space. So in-room measurements should slope down, as we have read multiple times, but on measuring what? If white noise is played, should measurements of that also slope down, or is that slope down only sine wave sweep?

Top Bottom