• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I am not a cat person....

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The cat is causing the notes to be out of tune. It happens when his (?) body interferes with the notes.
A cat on the key mechanism will effect how hard he needs to press the key but can not affect tuning, that is just string tension and the cat isn't able to change that where it is lying (or at all probably given its weight and the string tension needed.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Speaking of cats...one of mine decided he had a taste for the USB cable to my D70 last night...

Took longer to diagnose this than I'm willing to admit...
0902190659a.jpg

orangejello

Thanks for posting this. It brings a smile to my face:)

I was not a cat person either - until we got two baby brothers who were born as barn cats. They were to be the solution to our mice problems. They were also supposed to be outdoor cats since I have cat allergies. Over time my allergies lessened and now they come and go from the house as they please. The mice are gone. We don’t have to feed them too much as they enjoy bugs, grasshoppers mainly.

But one of them is now nicknamed “The Engineer”. He loves to observed any mechanical phenomena. He is also a fan of music. When music is playing and I am not sitting in the sweet spot, he can often be found there in an apparent state of bliss. Yeah, good cats are special creatures and bring a quiet joy along with them.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Thanks for posting this. It brings a smile to my face:)

I was not a cat person either - until we got two baby brothers who were born as barn cats. They were to be the solution to our mice problems. They were also supposed to be outdoor cats since I have cat allergies. Over time my allergies lessened and now they come and go from the house as they please. The mice are gone. We don’t have to feed them too much as they enjoy bugs, grasshoppers mainly.

But one of them is now nicknamed “The Engineer”. He loves to observed any mechanical phenomena. He is also a fan of music. When music is playing and I am not sitting in the sweet spot, he can often be found there in an apparent state of bliss. Yeah, good cats are special creatures and bring a quiet joy along with them.

They are basically killing machines...awesome creatures.
Where else can you have a 'mini-me' version of one of the planet's most feared 500lb predators.

There's a reason housecats aren't much bigger...they'd be dragging us up into the trees like 160lb jaguar does with a 400lb antelope...

I find mine very entertaining.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
When I was a kid we got kittens from grandparent's. farm. All were girls and all got the name Mikki. One of them even gave birth to kittens in the corner of my room! But I'm really a dog person, they are much more social companions like my present Willa (on right).
js willa s.jpeg

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
The cat is causing the notes to be out of tune. It happens when his (?) body interferes with the notes.
Most upright pianos are out of tune.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an improvised cardboard speaker (Harbeth) covering system because of my stupid cat - who is very affectionate and never lets us get more than a few feet away.

The last cat left the (Magnepans and Thiels) alone, but loved to chew on heavy duty power cords. So I wrapped them all in duct tape. Which significantly increased their PRaT, by-the-way!

orangejello

When I was a kid we got kittens from grandparent's. farm. All were girls and all got the name Mikki. One of them even gave birth to kittens in the corner of my room! But I'm really a dog person, they are much more social companions like my present Willa.
View attachment 32566
Great picture! I love my dogs too. As independent as the kitties are, they like to go on walks with us and our dog - without leashes. They just loosely follow along. We do this at night. We put tiny LED lights on their collars. They scamper up trees along the way, looking like Christmas tree ornaments.

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't particularly like cats. They have their place on a few continents. Not Australia unfortunately. Going off topic a bit now: can you train a cat? I thought not. I was wrong. Enjoy [or not]

Andrew s

Mine think my base traps are gigantic scratching posts. Little rascals.
Regards Andrew

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't particularly like cats. They have their place on a few continents. Not Australia unfortunately. Going off topic a bit now: can you train a cat? I thought not. I was wrong. Enjoy [or not]
I went to the cat theatre when I was in Moscow for the Football World Cup. For children really but pretty interesting. Easier getting a ticket to it than to the Bolshoi or the like probably.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Miette [RIP, alas] enjoying the warmth of a vintage receiver:

11119327_946836312035293_1125629509205571652_n.jpg

Clio, posing for a glamor portrait, a-la Hurrell:

316111_260950537290544_2040756954_n.jpg

Java, "Nipping Out":

12565479_1068394879879435_4939671490688822159_n.jpg

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
1622466140360.png

I'm not really a cat person, but don't dislike them either. Getting myself a puppy on Friday, though, after being dogless for more than a year. Very excited :cool:

Top Bottom