• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex UcD180HG HxR amplifier module analysis and review

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
That seems kind of high ... do you notice any hiss from the tweeter?
Very slightly with ear directly at the tweeter membrane and preamp connected. Remember it is still preamp or DAC that defines the output noise. My preamp has 5uV and this multiplied 20x by UcD gain makes 100uV, more than module noise itself.

opel

In data sheet for ucd180 it is written the following

Unit shuts down when either rail drops below 25V (HG only)
Unit shuts down when either rail exceeds 52V.

marX

Any idea on the UCD180 HG OEM version? Can two of such modules be made into a power amp?
I checked the datasheet but I'm not much of an electronics guy myself! The interface is in the shape of a 24 pin module which I have no idea about.

Maybe it's not for people like me?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any idea on the UCD180 HG OEM version? Can two of such modules be made into a power amp?
I checked the datasheet but I'm not much of an electronics guy myself! The interface is in the shape of a 24 pin module which I have no idea about.

You can get the non-OEM version from DIYclassd.com

marX

You can get the non-OEM version from DIYclassd.com

The UCD180 powersupply is out of stock. Have to get the 400's powersupply.
Thanks for the link BTW!

BTW, this Hypex is the most 'decent' DIY or otherwise option at this price point (150 quid), right?
IIRC, there was a Sabaj amp but that wasn't liked by many ASR members.

The Topping PA5 looks good but I don't have any balanced DACs.

opel

I do not know. With regular class-ab you can connect in series but one amplifier must be phase reversed.

Do not know if hypex usd180 likes this

you can destroy the amplifier

you should buy amplifier model over ucd180

marX

I do not know. With regular class-ab you can connect in series but one amplifier must be phase reversed.

Do not know if hypex usd180 likes this

you can destroy the amplifier

you should buy amplifier model over ucd180
No, I think they are mono. So, one amp kit for each channel.
If it's inverted, I would just change the speaker cable polarity for one speaker.

The problem for me is the 36 pin connectors for the OEM version.
It's a bit complex with reading the pin-outs and stuff.

I'll just check the DIY version linked by NTK and go ahead with it.

Last edited:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The UCD180 powersupply is out of stock. Have to get the 400's powersupply.
Thanks for the link BTW!

BTW, this Hypex is the most 'decent' DIY or otherwise option at this price point (150 quid), right?
IIRC, there was a Sabaj amp but that wasn't liked by many ASR members.

The Topping PA5 looks good but I don't have any balanced DACs.
In terms of price-to-performance, I think the UcD modules are the best if you want more power than 100 W @ 4 ohms. Most implementations of class-D chip amps usually (realistically) top out at ~100 W @ 4 ohms.

If I understood you correctly, you are referring to the SMPS400A180 being out of stock, and the SMPS400A400 is in stock, right? If that is the case, the A400 output voltage (±62 V) is too high for the UcD180HG. You may want to switch to the UcD400HG instead. A single SMPS400A400 will be under power for two UcD400HG, but should work.

marX

In terms of price-to-performance, I think the UcD modules are the best if you want more power than 100 W @ 4 ohms. Most implementations of class-D chip amps usually (realistically) top out at ~100 W @ 4 ohms.

If I understood you correctly, you are referring to the SMPS400A180 being out of stock, and the SMPS400A400 is in stock, right? If that is the case, the A400 output voltage (±62 V) is too high for the UcD180HG. You may want to switch to the UcD400HG instead. A single SMPS400A400 will be under power for two UcD400HG, but should work.
Thanks once again!

That's exactly what I meant.
I'll contact them first before going forward with purchasing UcD400HG.

Also, thanks for the comment on the SQ.
It's interesting that it was designed in 2012 or even older?
Incredible to see that it's still going strong!

UPDATE:

There is stock here...

But the total cost is like 310 quid (all included - excluding the case).

Last edited:
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
The UCD180 powersupply is out of stock
They are in stock at Audiophonics and I gave the link here. You guys need to read more carefully.

marX

They are in stock at Audiophonics and I gave the link here. You guys need to read more carefully.
Yes, but I'm not sure if there would be an import tax or some shit.
Need to do some research.
That's why I linked the kjfaudio (for my reference only).

opel

Does anyone know how many watts of power supply you need to have to get the max out of 2 pcs ucd180

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I'd look at the FusionAmps too - the power outputs don't line up exactly which complicates the comparison, but the prices aren't that dissimilar and you get some DSP thrown in. It could go either way depending on exact requirements.

opel

I run my subs as a 2 ohm (stereo) load (they have dual 4 ohm voice coils). I guess that I could run them as a 4 ohm (stereo) load but I would probably lose about 3 DB efficiency. It would certainly require adjustments. My NAD 2200 on my subs can put out over a KW of power into 4 ohms ([over 500 a stereo channel] as measured in AMIRM's review on this site). He did not test the 2 ohm load, which is the way I run it but it should be able to put out around 1.6 KW into 2 ohms (800+ per stereo channel). I am looking for a good reason to change but haven't seen it so far (not to mention HYPEX's unwilling to sell an amp module when something does go wrong).
A correction. NAD 2200 Power output: 100 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo), 400 watts into 8Ω (mono)
You almost NEVER get double watts in 4 ohms.

opel

This hypothesis has proven to be correct. It is the output voltage that corresponds with rise of distortion of the UcD topology. Below is the graph with output voltage as X-axis variable.

View attachment 166630

It should be mentioned that speaker distortion is not much affected by this. It is the speaker current that tells about speaker distortion and even with ideal amplifier with zero output voltage distortion we get distortion in speaker current, because the speaker is a nonlinear load. And, it acts according Ohm's law, so ideal non-distorted voltage divided by nonlinear load creates nonlinear current, Iout = Vout/Z(v,f).
What about the frequency response curve? would have been nice to see a curve from 15hz to 25khz on ucd180

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
What about the frequency response curve? would have been nice to see a curve from 15hz to 25khz on ucd180

Below is the frequency response into 4ohm at various output power (with 1dB spacing), again to mention that there is a 100VA transformer in my power supply which restricts the "clean power" area to somewhere near to 120W. Please note that the FR is invariant of output power up to clipping. As it is also almost load invariant, I will NOT add another ton of measurements.

UcD180_FR_vs_power.png

.... and the latest measurement of THD vs. power with 4ohm load and @45kHz measuring BW
UcD180_20Hz-15kHz_THD.png

opel

Below is the frequency response into 4ohm at various output power (with 1dB spacing), again to mention that there is a 100VA transformer in my power supply which restricts the "clean power" area to somewhere near to 120W. Please note that the FR is invariant of output power up to clipping. As it is also almost load invariant, I will NOT add another ton of measurements.

View attachment 176116

.... and the latest measurement of THD vs. power with 4ohm load and @45kHz measuring BW
View attachment 176117
Thanks. Weird that the frequency curve is not completely flat up to 20k.
Can the input capacitor be the cause?

There is not much difference between flat frequency and 20k. How many DB is it approx.

The amplifier does not manage 126w so good I see. Can it be Power Supply its fault since you only have 100va transformer?

How big transformer do you have to have to get Max out of the amplifier?

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Weird that the frequency curve is not completely flat up to 20k.
Can the input capacitor be the cause?
I hope you have the basic understanding of electronic circuits. With output LC filter (2nd order LPF) tuned at about 50kHz/-3dB it is physically impossible to get flat FR up to 20kHz without having unstable response and low stability margin. You would need to go to much higher switching frequency and this would bring new issues. And this topology keeps FR invariant of load, so getting 20kHz flat means underdamped filter and wild overshoots in step response. Take or leave, I ask for professional discussion.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
There is not much difference between flat frequency and 20k. How many DB is it approx.

Looks like roughly 0.5db It sits just at the threshold of audibility.

Absolutely no need for concern. Just think about the deviations you get from transducers.

Top Bottom