• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex stand-alone power amplifiers with DSP?

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Are anyone offering NCore power amplifiers with DSP? I'm looking for basically something similar to the Fusion series plate amplifiers from Hypex, but stand-alone, so Fusion-in-a-box. :) The use case is an external amplifier for DIY/prototype active speakers, preferrably 3-way. I could build one, but looking to possibly save some time by just buying ready-made.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

AndyLu

Forum Donor
That was a bit on the expensive side, but yes, actually exactly like that. :) I'll have a look. Thanks!

Also look on the Hypex (the makers of nCore) site. The link you saw to the Linkwitz DSP is (as far as I know) a Hypex DSP which is outdated and discontinued by Hypex. They make new plate amplifiers now with DSP built in already. I have no experience myself with it but take a look. Their new plate amps are called 'Fusion amps'.

https://www.hypex.nl/plate-amplifiers/

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Also look on the Hypex (the makers of nCore) site. The link you saw to the Linkwitz DSP is (as far as I know) a Hypex DSP which is outdated and discontinued by Hypex. They make new plate amplifiers now with DSP built in already. I have no experience myself with it but take a look. Their new plate amps are called 'Fusion amps'.

https://www.hypex.nl/plate-amplifiers/

Thanks, I'm actually using those for subwoofers already. But they're mainly for integrating into speakers, while I was looking for an external option for use in connection with prototyping active speakers. Then I'd like to have them externally to be able to move on to new prototypes quickly without having to build a fusion amp into each set of speakers. But I guess I could simply mount the fusionamp in a box instead of into the speakers, and wire to the speakers from there. :)

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Thanks, I'm actually using those for subwoofers already. But they're mainly for integrating into speakers, while I was looking for an external option for use in connection with prototyping active speakers. Then I'd like to have them externally to be able to move on to new prototypes quickly without having to build a fusion amp into each set of speakers. But I guess I could simply mount the fusionamp in a box instead of into the speakers, and wire to the speakers from there. :)

Well, as far as I can see, there are one-way, two-way and three-way fusion amps. You can DSP your crossovers in them. They seem perfectly capable of doing full range speakers instead of only subs ;)

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Well, as far as I can see, there are one-way, two-way and three-way fusion amps. You can DSP your crossovers in them. They seem perfectly capable of doing full range speakers instead of only subs ;)

Certainly. Again the point isn't the capability of the amps, but the form factor. I want stand-alone amplifiers, not built-in amplifiers. As per my first post where I explicitly said I wanted fusion-in-a-box, referring to these amplifiers. :)

Zoomer

The link you saw to the Linkwitz DSP is (as far as I know) a Hypex DSP which is outdated and discontinued by Hypex.

Correct, but it's the only ready-made option with Hypex DSP I'm aware of. Admittedly not really what OP was asking for.
On diyAudio there are threads about putting a Fusion in a box, but if I remember correctly the drawback is that you can't bypass the DAC which is not stellar so you'll have an extra conversion.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Correct, but it's the only ready-made option with Hypex DSP I'm aware of. Admittedly not really what OP was asking for.
On diyAudio there are threads about putting a Fusion in a box, but if I remember correctly the drawback is that you can't bypass the DAC which is not stellar.

I'm leaning towards doing that, just buying the FA-253 or something (I guess I need two) and putting it in a box.

Zoomer

Would be interesting to see if/how this works. I looked into this about a year ago, and it wasn't as straightforward as it might seem (don't remember the details). Which is what you'd expect, otherwise everybody would be doing it I guess :D.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Would be interesting to see if/how this works. I looked into this about a year ago, and it wasn't as straightforward as it might seem (don't remember the details). Which is what you'd expect, otherwise everybody would be doing it I guess :D.

Well I'm currently using the fusion amps for a line of subwoofers, I see no reason why it shouldn't work just fine. There's no practical difference between a loudspeaker cabinet and any other box, except you'd need external wiring. You'd need to add speakon terminals on the box and wire the speaker cables to that, and have the same on the speakers, typically.

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well I'm currently using the fusion amps for a line of subwoofers, I see no reason why it shouldn't work just fine. There's no practical difference between a loudspeaker cabinet and any other box, except you'd need external wiring. You'd need to add speakon terminals on the box and wire the speaker cables to that, and have the same on the speakers, typically.

Btw your subwoofers are interesting, tell us more. Maybe open a thread?
(As a suggestion you should really put on the site some sort of currency converter)

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
(As a suggestion you should really put on the site some sort of currency converter)

Thanks, maybe so. Where to put it? The desperate dealers forum? :p Not sure what the rules are for manufacturers here.
The whole thing is pretty new, so not focusing a lot on foreign customers yet (allthough we do support it). Will look into whether shopify have any smart currency converter plugins. :)

carlob

Forum Donor
Thanks, maybe so. Where to put it? The desperate dealers forum? :p Not sure what the rules are for manufacturers here.
The whole thing is pretty new, so not focusing a lot on foreign customers yet (allthough we do support it). Will look into whether shopify have any smart currency converter plugins. :)

I just made the conversion to Eur and I'm a bit less interested ;) Anyways I would gladly spend more to avoid having ugly black boxes scattered in my living room. I don't know the rules either, maybe amirm could help.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

Added a feature to switch currency now, thanks for the tip! :)

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

I just got a reply from amirm that it would be fine to start a thread in the desperate dealers forum. So before doing that, could you please elaborate a bit what you'd typically like to learn from such a post/thread? Thank you in advance :)

carlob

Forum Donor
I just got a reply from amirm that it would be fine to start a thread in the desperate dealers forum. So before doing that, could you please elaborate a bit what you'd typically like to learn from such a post/thread? Thank you in advance :)

I would be nice if you could share details on how they are made, drivers, amps, results of compression test, the measurements you have including maybe CEA2010 (an example of a complete test bench here https://data-bass.com/#/systems/5b11c1e3a201f10004e39d67?_k=ru3sw4 ). All the objective stuff you can share as we are on a audioscience forum ;)

ps: I can't see the currency converter now but maybe I need to clean my browser cache

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I would be nice if you could share details on how they are made, drivers, amps, results of compression test, the measurements you have including maybe CEA2010 (an example of a complete test bench here https://data-bass.com/#/systems/5b11c1e3a201f10004e39d67?_k=ru3sw4 ). All the objective stuff you can share as we are on a audioscience forum ;)

ps: I can't see the currency converter now but maybe I need to clean my browser cache

It should be in the bottom right corner in theory. Perhaps it should go in the header for people to find it. :)

Thanks for the input. Due to a "the dog ate my homework" excuse (my laptop died this summer and I managed to have REW-measurements only saved locally) I don't have a lot of shareable graphs on the compression tests, but I know roughly the results. I haven't done a CEA2010 test but I plan to do that, I only recently learned that REW actually have that built-in. I don't expect mind blowing results here, as they are after all pretty compact, and the DSP is tuned for low end extension (which will sacrifice SPL). The design goal was realistic sound pressure down to 20hz for living room use rather than dedicated cinemas, and as such tuned for good extension at moderate levels.

Will look into what I have of objective data that I can share. :) I do have frequency response graphs (both ground plane and in-room), though they aren't at maximum SPL. I'll see what I can dig up.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To get dsp outside of Hypex plate amps, you need to use the MP series amps. Would talk to anyone who offers (March, Nord, etc.) and see if they can customize for you.

Hypex has also announced a new series that will include DSP. I recall they are supposed to be out later this year. So should have more options in the near future.

Top Bottom