• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Nilai500DIY Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 74 19.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 281 75.5%

• Total voters

pma

Major Contributor
Indeed.

Really? Oh, and by the way, that "from the far east" slur... How is that different from all the "designed and assembled in the US (from boards made in China)" products?

View attachment 270564
THD (in fact it is THD+N) vs. frequency measured with 20kHz bandwidth is pointless above 2 - 3 kHz. You know that. Measuring bandwidth must be that wide to capture significant highest order distortion components and it is in case of these amplifiers somewhere between 5th and 10th. You know that, and you are again trying to defend the indefensible.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
THD (in fact it is THD+N) vs. frequency measured with 20kHz bandwidth is pointless above 2 - 3 kHz. You know that. Measuring bandwidth must be that wide to capture significant highest order distortion components and it is in case of these amplifiers somewhere between 5th and 10th. You know that, and you are again trying to defend the indefensible.
How do those "significant highest order distortion components" affect the sound?

KJF audio

Audio Company
I hate to break up a good discussion, but I have just been informed that the current batch of amp kits that were due in late March will now be late April so people who are waiting or who have pre orders (with me or any other dealer) will have to wait a little longer unfortunately. Hypex were firstly rather taken by surprise with how quickly the first batch went and then just couldn't get them manufactured quickly enough when they had sold out. This next batch will be too small to satisfy demand as well, the next batch after that will be at least the end of June.

barrows

...why would someone choose this over the NCx500...???...
Nilai is only available for DIY, NCx is only available in OEM manufactured products. So, if you want to DIY, you get Nilai, if you want to purchase an amp from a manufacturer you can get NCx...

Hapo

...thank you...I had failed to grasp the DIY distinction...

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nilai is only available for DIY, NCx is only available in OEM manufactured products. So, if you want to DIY, you get Nilai, if you want to purchase an amp from a manufacturer you can get NCx...

Then maybe the question should be, putting aside the fact that the nilai500 is unavailable until likely summer, and the NCx500 amps are said by the manufacturers I have spoken with will be out supposedly in late April, why would someone pay more and get considerably less? That is, with the complete NCx500 stereo amps are being priced below what it would cost to build a proper stereo nilai500 amp, why would anyone bother? If one really had a thing to build one's own amps, just buy the NCx500 amp, take it apart, and build it as you wish. What am I missing?

Rob Fens

Then maybe the question should be, putting aside the fact that the nilai500 is unavailable until likely summer, and the NCx500 amps are said by the manufacturers I have spoken with will be out supposedly in late April, why would someone pay more and get considerably less? That is, with the complete NCx500 stereo amps are being priced below what it would cost to build a proper stereo nilai500 amp, why would anyone bother? If one really had a thing to build one's own amps, just buy the NCx500 amp, take it apart, and build it as you wish. What am I missing?
Hi Hapo and Goryu, From information by Hypex, i understand that NCx is an improved NC and Nilai is next generation class D. It can be considered as a next step higher than NCx. NCx is commercially attractive and cost effective, Nilai uses better components and also seems to have different feedback.

goryu

Hi Hapo and Goryu, From information by Hypex, i understand that NCx is an improved NC and Nilai is next generation class D. It can be considered as a next step higher than NCx. NCx is commercially attractive and cost effective, Nilai uses better components and also seems to have different feedback.

Judging from the measurements published here, there really isn't any material difference in their performance from a distortion standpoint though the NCX does provide considerably more power. When one considers the power advantage as well as cheaper price, I think it becomes hard to make a case for the nilai purely on objective criteria. Let's not forget, the Hypex power supply for the nilai will only drive one module to full rated power (which is still less than the NCx) and without any available smps available to power a stereo pair to full power, one would need the added expense of two power supplies, again, and still not achieving the power of the NCx500.

Rob Fens

Judging from the measurements published here, there really isn't any material difference in their performance from a distortion standpoint though the NCX does provide considerably more power. When one considers the power advantage as well as cheaper price, I think it becomes hard to make a case for the nilai purely on objective criteria. Let's not forget, the Hypex power supply for the nilai will only drive one module to full rated power (which is still less than the NCx) and without any available smps available to power a stereo pair to full power, one would need the added expense of two power supplies, again, and still not achieving the power of the NCx500.
If maximum power is the most important, i agree with you then NCx is the way to go. You get more power for less money.

goryu

If maximum power is the most important, i agree with you then NCx is the way to go. You get more power for less money.

I see no objective reason to choose the nilai regardless...

Hapo

...it is interesting to see a product obsolete before it is available...

...I had tried to purchase an NC500 stereo amp, but it sold out before I could convince my bank it was not a fraudulent transaction...

...never seen that tested...I was curious aboot how it would compare to the NCx500...

Last edited:

Rob Fens

...I had tried to purchase an NC500 stereo amp, but it sold out before I could convince my bank it was not a fraudulent transaction...

...never seen that tested...I was curious aboot how it would compare to the NCx500...
NC500 has been obtainable for many years, and still is, sorry about your banks lack of trust.
NCx500 is (as far as i know) not yet obtainable.
Nilai is (very limited) obtainable because of supply problems and like you i don't know about a direct comparison test between NCx and Nilai.

Goryu: "I see no objective reason to choose the nilai regardless..." Regardless what? It is fine if you prefer the NCx, i ordered the Nilai and i wont argue with you about different choice. I gues both choices are respectable. In my post see #529, i tried to show the differences, if they are not important to you its ok by me.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Nord's NC500 was mostly between -90 and -100 dB.
index.php

And in 5W distortion was limiting it.
index.php

While NCx500 is mostly below -100 dB.
index.php

And distortion artifacts are way lower, so that general white noise is the limiting factor at 5W.
index.php

Last edited:

Hapo

...thank you...it is no shock that you have twice as many "likes" as you have posts...LoL...

...now I really wish I had scored that AudiophonicsdHPA-S600NC amp...I know I would not notice the difference and it was a bargain...

...I would still like to see Amire test one and he did seem so inclined...

...I don't actually know what I would actually do with it, but it would be good to have as a spare incase my Adcom GFA 5500 finally fails...

...I might send that in to Amire if I had a spare amp...after he tested the spare amp...

...I am curious to see if I should like it as much as I do or not...(grin)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed.

Really? Oh, and by the way, that "from the far east" slur... How is that different from all the "designed and assembled in the US (from boards made in China)" products?
Let's see Hypex/Purifi (not designed or made in the USA is the descriptor) and some others from the "far east" (a descriptor). meaning that these are the ones that don't test to the LEGAL standard used in the USA. Do you have a better way to describe those that chose to not test by the standard used in the USA. If there were more than one company in Europe that I was talking about, I would say: some companies from Europe... Would that be a "slur"? No, it wouldn't. And neither is describing my Chinese wife as being from "the far east" (Yep, she was born there). If so, please enlighten us on a better way to describe companies from that area. If not:

Just may we please stay on the subject which is, in case anyone forgot: Audio Science Review (not Perceived Political Triggering Language Infighting Science Review).

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's see Hypex/Purifi (not designed or made in the USA is the descriptor) and some others from the "far east" (a descriptor). meaning that these are the ones that don't test to the LEGAL standard used in the USA. Do you have a better way to describe those that chose to not test by the standard used in the USA. If there were more than one company in Europe that I was talking about, I would say: some companies from Europe... Would that be a "slur"? No, it wouldn't. And neither is describing my Chinese wife as being from "the far east" (Yep, she was born there). If so, please enlighten us on a better way to describe companies from that area. If not:

Just may we please stay on the subject which is, in case anyone forgot: Audio Science Review (not Perceived Political Triggering Language Infighting Science Review).

Just pointing out that European test standards are stricter than the US ones, and that the Hypex and Purifi stuff is designed in Europe, not the far east.

sonder

The standard power and distortion ratings are for a typical audible spectrum between 20Hz and 20,000Hz.
New guy question: is there any device that can be placed /after/ amplification that can cut off frequency ranges above a designated range, 20khz, 40khz.

Whilst here, anything you can slot in pre amp to filter out DC currents.

I'm contemplating diving in to power amps, perhaps haven't read enough here, but wary on certain subjects that keep coming up. I want to slot in protection if possible that negates any potential failures in devices I put between them.

Top Bottom