• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Nilai500DIY Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 74 19.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 284 75.7%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Hypex Nilai500DIY class D amplifier module with PS500DIY power supply. Parts were provided by the company and member @Rick Sykora was kind enough to assemble it:
Hypex Nilai Nilai500 DIY Class D Amplifier Kit PS500DIY Review.jpg

As indicated, the single channel amplifier is on the left and the power supply on the right. The amplifier has built-in preamp providing three levels of gain (12, 22 and 28 dB). A jumper selects the appropriate level. At 12 dB, you need about 12 volts to reach full power which requires a pro audio interface or a pre-amp with that level of output. The sole input in this configuration is balanced.

In use the amplifier was exceptionally solid even when pushed hard. It kept going and stayed very cool. It is rated to 2 ohm (see measurements below).

Edit: in the original review I had the top open so I could change the gain settings. Alas, it turns out that doing so allowed some noise pick up around 10 kHz. I re-tested with the lid closed and that issue went away. As a results, we have slightly better performance especially in high-gain.

Hypex Nilai500DIY Measurements
Let's start with lowest gain setting:
Hypex Nilai Nilai500 DIY Class D Amplifier Kit 12 dB gain Measurements.png

That is superb performance with distortion at or below -140 dB! Here is the response at higher grain settings:
Hypex Nilai Nilai500 DIY Class D Amplifier Kit 22 dB gain Measurements.png

Hypex Nilai Nilai500 DIY Class D Amplifier Kit 28 dB gain Measurements.png

With all thee gain settings, the amp lands in our top 20 best amplifiers ever reviewed based on combined noise and distortion rating (SINAD):
Best class D amplifier review.png

Noise performance is excellent but just shy of state of the art:
Hypex Nilai Nilai500 DIY Class D Amplifier Kit SNR at 5 watts Measurements.png

But gets there at full power:
Hypex Nilai Nilai500 DIY Class D Amplifier Kit 12 dB gain SNR Max Power Measurements.png

As we expect from Hypex, frequency response is load impedance independent:
Hypex Nilai Nilai500 DIY Class D Amplifier Kit 12 dB gain frequency response Measurements.png

Multitone performance is excellent:

Hypex Nilai Nilai500 DIY Class D Amplifier Kit 12 dB gain Multitone Measurements.png

Hypex Nilai Nilai500 DIY Class D Amplifier Kit Multitone Measurements.png

Amplifier is stable on power up:
Hypex Nilai Nilai500 DIY Class D Amplifier Kit Warm Up Measurements.png

Let's look at available power at 4 ohm:
Hypex Nilai Nilai500 DIY Class D Amplifier Kit Power 4 ohm Measurements.png

Looks like we no longer have to decided between superbly low noise and distortion and available power! State of the art performance is once again achieved in low gain while still producing lots of power (342 watts). Allowing distortion to climb to 1% naturally gives us more power (and matches company spec):
Hypex Nilai Nilai500 DIY Class D Amplifier Kit Max and Peak Power 4 ohm Measurements.png

We still have healthy power even with 8 ohm load:
Hypex Nilai Nilai500 DIY Class D Amplifier Kit Power 8 ohm Measurements.png

Since the amp is rated at 2 ohm, I measured that as well:
Hypex Nilai Nilai500 DIY Class D Amplifier Kit Power 2 ohm Measurements.png

Hypex Nilai Nilai500 DIY Class D Amplifier Kit Max and Peak Power 2 ohm Measurements.png

There is a bit of penalty but still great performance. Seems power supply is limiting power so you don't get more juice.

I was a bit surprised at the ballooning of the distortion at higher frequencies:
Hypex Nilai Nilai500 DIY Class D Amplifier Kit Power 4 ohm versus frequency Measurements.png

EDIT:
There is more of a noticeable pop on power off than power on:
Hypex Nilai Nilai500 DIY Class D Amplifier Kit On Off Pop Noise Measurements.png

As requested, here is the switching response:
Hypex Nilai Nilai500 DIY Class D Amplifier Kit FFT switching frequency Measurements.png

Conclusions
It is clear Hypex is taking competition in class D amplifiers seriously responding with a DIY friend amplifier solution that has a ton of power and wonderful performance. While we could nitpick here and there, but in the larger context of the amplifiers out there, this is a superb offering of great performance and lots and lots of power.

FYI I don't have pricing for the kit. If someone has it, please post. I see online ads saying around $900 to $1,100 for a single channel.

I am happy to add Hypex Nilai500DIY amplifier and its companion PS500DIY power supply to my recommended list.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:

Endibol

Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Hypex Nilai500DIY class D amplifier module with PS500DIY power supply. Parts were provided by the company and member @Rick Sykora was kind enough to assemble it:
View attachment 262137

As indicated, the single channel amplifier is on the left and the power supply on the right. The amplifier has built-in preamp providing three levels of gain (12, 22 and 28 dB). A jumper selects the appropriate level. At 12 dB, you need about 12 volts to reach full power which requires a pro audio interface or a pre-amp with that level of output. The sole input in this configuration is balanced.

In use the amplifier was exceptionally solid even when pushed hard. It kept going and stayed very cool. It is rated to 2 ohm (see measurements below).

View attachment 262138
That is superb performance with distortion at or below -140 dB! There is a bit of noise around 10 kHz which gets amplified when gain is boosted:

View attachment 262139

View attachment 262140

With all thee gain settings, the amp lands in our top 20 best amplifiers ever reviewed based on combined noise and distortion rating (SINAD):
View attachment 262141

View attachment 262142

View attachment 262143

View attachment 262144

Multitone performance is excellent except that bit of noise around 10 kHz:
View attachment 262145

View attachment 262146

View attachment 262147

View attachment 262149

Looks like we no longer have to decided between superbly low noise and distortion and available power! State of the art performance is once again achieved in low gain while still producing lots of power (342 watts). Allowing distortion to climb to 1% naturally gives us more power (and matches company spec):
View attachment 262150

View attachment 262151

View attachment 262152
View attachment 262153

There is a bit of penalty but still great performance. Seems power supply is limiting power so you don't get more juice.

I was a bit surprised at the ballooning of the distortion at higher frequencies:
View attachment 262154

Conclusions
It is clear Hypex is taking competition in class D amplifiers seriously responding with a DIY friend amplifier solution that has a ton of power and wonderful performance. While we could nitpick here and there, but in the larger context of the amplifiers out there, this is a superb offering of great performance and lots and lots of power.

FYI I don't have pricing for the kit. If someone has it, please post. I see online ads saying around $900 to $1,100 for a single channel.

I am happy to add Hypex Nilai500DIY amplifier and its companion PS500DIY power supply to my recommended list.

----------

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
In Europe it will cost 820 euro ex VAT.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This amplifier is part of Hypex’s DIYclassD brand and is priced at 820€ excluding VAT (currently about $885 US). More details can be found at:

This is a successor product to Hypex's NC400 amplifier kit and is a much-improved offering all around. Notably, it was a breeze to assemble as the instructions are very good and an animated build video has been included.

Here are external pics...
1681774356045.jpeg1681774413511.png

Along with a status LED, the front panel has a (smallish) standby power switch. The IEC power inlet is fused and the amp has high quality binding posts. A trigger input is included and Hypex moved the LED brightness control to the back panel. The case has been redesigned (from the previous clamshell) and allows simpler access to the internals (notably the gain jumper setting).

P.S. Should mention the other standout feature is a 5 year warranty. Hypex reports that the Nilai parts are more premium than their OEM offerings. As posted later, should have mentioned VAT in pricing, so I have updated.

Last edited:

kjb

What happened to the 10 kHz distortion boost at medium gain? Is it hidden in noise? In the other two measurements it is clearly visible and about as high as the second harmonics.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What happened to the 10 kHz distortion boost at medium gain? Is it hidden in noise? In the other two measurements it is clearly visible and about as high as the second harmonics.
I noticed that as well and thought it was buried in the noise floor.

jae

Major Contributor
It's €820 for the mono kit and €1225 for the stereo kit (250 WPC/single PSU), excluding taxes.

kjb

I noticed that as well and thought it was buried in the noise floor.
Just thinking, distortion at 10kHz doesn't seem to follow the gain setting. Medium gain is only 6 db lower than high gain, but the distortion at 10 kHz looks like it is as low as the 10kHz distortion at low gain, and ~20dB below the 10kHz high gain distortion. It doesn't follow the expected pattern.
I wonder what the power vs distortion at different frequencies would look like at medium gain.

Endibol

Forum Donor
View attachment 262137

View attachment 262138
That is superb performance with distortion at or below -140 dB! There is a bit of noise around 10 kHz which gets amplified when gain is boosted:

View attachment 262139

View attachment 262140

View attachment 262141

View attachment 262142

View attachment 262143

View attachment 262144

Multitone performance is excellent except that bit of noise around 10 kHz:
View attachment 262145

View attachment 262146

View attachment 262147

View attachment 262149

View attachment 262150

View attachment 262151

View attachment 262152
View attachment 262153

View attachment 262154

Conclusions

----------

Great review, great amp!
@amirm Hope you get to test the Hypex DIYPreAmplifier kit as well (1500 euro incl. VAT).. Can't wait to see that review!

uwotm8

Hypex Nilai Nilai500 DIY Class D Amplifier Kit Power 4 ohm versus frequency Measurements.png
How exactly that amazing D-class SINAD is beinf stated at 112 dB if it turns into 80 dB pumpkin @10 kHz+?
Seems a bit tricky and yes, not this amp alone, not Hypex alone - almost all of them.
And yes again, 80 dB is okay too.
Question is if it's correct to mark such amp as a 110 dB+:rolleyes:

Waxx

Major Contributor
Good amp, but a serious step up for the price of the Hypex NC400 and some of the full builds that are availble of Hypex modules of similar power. Lke said you can get very good builds from Purifi modules with more power and no kit for similar prices. So the best deal arround they are not. But on it's own, it's a great clean amp like we would expect from Hypex.

Top Bottom