• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Nilai500DIY Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 74 19.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 284 75.7%

• Total voters

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Remember that this is THD, meaning the harmonics of 10 kHz are 20 kHz, 30 kHz, etc and 15 kHz are 30 kHz, 45 kHz, etc.

This is intentional by design: maximize feedback loop where it is audible and let it go where it is inaudible.
That makes sense thanks. Was gonna ask about it too.
A problem for the eye as amir often says

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. There's no downside then, compared with buying one ready-made (soldering is one thing I might not do as well as a pro).

If you are comfortable with small appliance or automotive repair, likely this build will go easily for you.

While the Hypex instructions are quite good, here is a tip if you are experienced. Put the side panels on last. There are a few connectors that are easier to attach with the sides open. Most notably the large JST on the power supply, case ground and the speaker outs on the amp. :cool:

Last edited:

AndyBeckett

That is the theory (I know well) but the test shows that they sound different, being very evident in the piano track, where the difference is spectacular (Purifi sound is very bad vs Nilai).
Totally agree, it was shocking how different they were.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm on one of the graphs "grain" was typed instead of "gain".

index.php

AndyBeckett

So you claim you hear a difference without having heard it?

Is this some sort of next level to hearing the difference from the kitchen?
Not following too well buz. The difference was huge on the vid, I would therefore consider buying one after hearing it properly.

AndyBeckett

I do hate repeating myself, I am aware that a compressed opus audio stream is not good enough for a true comparison. However, if you can be bothered to watch the video you will be able to tell a difference (if your system is as revealing as mine).

Read by comments on the post with the video.

Top Bottom