• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Nilai500DIY Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 74 19.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 286 75.7%

• Total voters

leManu

Another thing to consider: the Nilai only reaches max output when driven by a power supply capable of providing the necessary input. The stereo Nilai only uses one SMPS, which is shared by the two modules. I don't believe it will drive the two modules to full rated power. You would need a SMPS for each amp module to do that.
That's why I now think I should have wait for the monoblock to be available. But it's amazing nonetheless.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, changed the jumper to max gain. I now got a lot more power than with the Klout. From what I understand from the graph I lost a bit of SINAD, but whatever. I'm still more than confused about how to understand the relationship between wattage of an amp and volume, but I'll read more about it in the next days. At least now I can compare it with my Klout the way I intend to. Still feel like I should have bought the monobloc for even more power if I had know this power/volume thing. Thanks a lot for your quick reply.
SINAD doesn't matter as long as you don't hear a hiss.

As to the relationship between rated power ("wattage" is a horrible word only used by non-experts, almost like talking about "horsepowerage" of cars), volume and gain - rated power is the maximum power an amp can produce when driven fully (think of it as maximum horsepower of a car). The actual power is determined by the gain and volume. Think of volume as the gas pedal, and gain as the leverage of the gas pedal - how much you have to press the pedal to get the power you want. Gain relates to sensitivity - what signal level is needed to produce full output.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the one that told me I would't like the sound of Nilai, what is not to love about transparency and power?
People who describe sound in subjective terms often like a bit of coloration that gives "warmth" or "musicality" or whatever.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like to think gain as how loud it starts, and power loud is finishes. :)

You can have higher gain and low power, will sound loud with the volume knob low, but once you turn the knob it will distort soon.

And the opposite: a low gain with high power sounds low in low volume, but you can turn the knob and it will keep sounding louder and clear for way longer.

And you know you have too low gain or too low source output when the knob hits the max and the amp still had juice left.

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And you know you have too low gain or too low source output when the knob hits the max and the amp still had juice left.
Unless your gain structure is that way on purpose, to avoid frying your speakers.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

FabienM

Found inputs voltages in the Nilai documentation. Low Gain specs match Amir mesures ( Thanks god there is someone we could rely :cool::cool::cool: ).

XLR in VoltageGain NilaiOhm (Speakers)MAX Power delivered with mono kit @ -105dB THD+N ratio)MAX Power delivered with stereo kit @ -105dB THD+N ratio)
12Vrms (Amir=Nilai Specs)11.8 dB4342W (Amir)250W (???)
12Vrms (Amir=Nilai Specs)11.8 dB8190W (Amir )190W (???)
12Vrms (Amir=Nilai Specs)11.8 dB6266W ( Calculated not measured )250W (???)
3,8Vrms (Nilai Specs)21.8 dB4To be completedTo be completed
3,8Vrms (Nilai Specs)21.8 dB8To be completedTo be completed
3,8Vrms (Nilai Specs)21.8 dB6To be completedTo be completed
1,9Vrms (Nilai Specs)27.8 db4To be completedTo be completed
1,9Vrms (Nilai Specs)27.8 db8To be completedTo be completed
1,9Vrms (Nilai Specs)27.8 db6To be completedTo be completed

@leManu : Do you know if your preamp is able to deliver 3,8Vrms at maximum level ? Could you give us it's reference ?​

If you use an RCA to XLR converter then your are probably around 2V on XLR this could explain the lack of power with previous Low or Medium gain...​

leManu

SINAD doesn't matter as long as you don't hear a hiss.

As to the relationship between rated power ("wattage" is a horrible word only used by non-experts, almost like talking about "horsepowerage" of cars), volume and gain - rated power is the maximum power an amp can produce when driven fully (think of it as maximum horsepower of a car). The actual power is determined by the gain and volume. Think of volume as the gas pedal, and gain as the leverage of the gas pedal - how much you have to press the pedal to get the power you want. Gain relates to sensitivity - what signal level is needed to produce full output.

Found inputs voltages in the Nilai documentation. Low Gain specs match Amir mesures ( Thanks god there is someone we could rely :cool::cool::cool: ).

XLR in VoltageGain NilaiOhm (Speakers)MAX Power delivered with mono kit @ -105dB THD+N ratio)MAX Power delivered with stereo kit @ -105dB THD+N ratio)
12Vrms (Amir=Nilai Specs)11.8 dB4342W (Amir)250W (???)
12Vrms (Amir=Nilai Specs)11.8 dB8190W (Amir )190W (???)
12Vrms (Amir=Nilai Specs)11.8 dB6266W ( Calculated not measured )250W (???)
3,8Vrms (Nilai Specs)21.8 dB4To be completedTo be completed
3,8Vrms (Nilai Specs)21.8 dB8To be completedTo be completed
3,8Vrms (Nilai Specs)21.8 dB6To be completedTo be completed
1,9Vrms (Nilai Specs)27.8 db4To be completedTo be completed
1,9Vrms (Nilai Specs)27.8 db8To be completedTo be completed
1,9Vrms (Nilai Specs)27.8 db6To be completedTo be completed

@leManu : Do you know if your preamp is able to deliver 3,8Vrms at maximum level ? Could you give us it's reference ?​

If you use an RCA to XLR converter then your are probably around 2V on XLR this could explain the lack of power with previous Low or Medium gain...​

This is the specification for my preamp:
XLR Output Level: 4v rms (0dBFS @ Volume 80)
XLR Output Impedance: 300R
XLR Output Coupling: Direct Coupled

I'm using a real XLR cable (from Benchmark)
This is the measurement from Amir: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ements-of-linn-akurate-dsm-dac-streamer.6272/

I know it's an overpriced component, but I haven't bought it new, and I'm learning since I'm here ;-)

KJF audio

Audio Company

FabienM

This is the specification for my preamp:
XLR Output Level: 4v rms (0dBFS @ Volume 80)
XLR Output Impedance: 300R
XLR Output Coupling: Direct Coupled

I'm using a real XLR cable (from Benchmark)
This is the measurement from Amir: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ements-of-linn-akurate-dsm-dac-streamer.6272/

I know it's an overpriced component, but I haven't bought it new, and I'm learning since I'm here ;-)
While searching information on the linn akurate dsm I found some informations about xlr « Electrical XLR inputs Input sensitivity: can be selected from 2 / 4 / 8 V RMS » while we are talking about xlr outputs I am wondering If your input level would be low and therefore your output would be also… impressive dac anyway…

leManu

While searching information on the linn akurate dsm I found some informations about xlr « Electrical XLR inputs Input sensitivity: can be selected from 2 / 4 / 8 V RMS » while we are talking about xlr outputs I am wondering If your input level would be low and therefore your output would be also… impressive dac anyway…
I've seen that too, but I think it applied only to the first generation. I can't find anything in the doc or the settings about it. Anyway, the volume issue was with the internal stream/dac, so it can't be this. Thanks for looking it up.

leManu

After a few day with the Nilai500, I can say that it sound amazing with newer recording, and not so good with older ones. Older recordings sounds often too lean. Which made me things that in the older recording studio, they were probably using class A, AB or even tube amps, and with slow speakers. Thus the sound they heard / wanted was heavily coloured by their equipment. To have a somewhat faithful reproduction of the sound they were seeking, you probably need equipment that's a match with what they had at the time. Thus slow and coloured. Is this making any sense?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe the less your amplifier colors your music, the more you are finding out their differences? Like blue pill all masterings are the same, red pill they are different? :)

Sokel

Master Contributor
After a few day with the Nilai500, I can say that it sound amazing with newer recording, and not so good with older ones. Older recordings sounds often too lean. Which made me things that in the older recording studio, they were probably using class A, AB or even tube amps, and with slow speakers. Thus the sound they heard / wanted was heavily coloured by their equipment. To have a somewhat faithful reproduction of the sound they were seeking, you probably need equipment that's a match with what they had at the time. Thus slow and coloured. Is this making any sense?
I have thought of it so much as to research and find what gear they used when making the final decisions in the studios about my favorite classical recordings (1950 and on).

Monkey coffins,tubes,etc.
I even had the chance to replicate it closely but with much nicer gear and admittedly sounds beautiful BUT not far from an accurate (as much as it can be) gear chain.

Not worth the effort,it's nicer to have ample power (that's the most discriminating factor to me) and gear that can effortlessly reproduce every little peak of your desired level.

leManu

I have thought of it so much as to research and find what gear they used when making the final decisions in the studios about my favorite classical recordings (1950 and on).

Monkey coffins,tubes,etc.
I even had the chance to replicate it closely but with much nicer gear and admittedly sounds beautiful BUT not far from an accurate (as much as it can be) gear chain.

Not worth the effort,it's nicer to have ample power (that's the most discriminating factor to me) and gear that can effortlessly reproduce every little peak of your desired level.
That's an impressive quest for sound! I'm not saying that it worth the effort, but I think I'll keep my older gear to build a second system that will be slower and more coloured than my main one. The lost of reverb is want stroked me the most. Acoustic guitar sound a lot leaner. And for simple folk music I don't need a lot of power.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If that your only argument, it's a pretty poor one.
It wasn't an argument, it was an answer to your question.

Evaluation without basic controls will lead to all sorts of errors of perceptions.

leManu

It wasn't an argument, it was an answer to your question.

Evaluation without basic controls will lead to all sorts of errors of perceptions.
Then you think that the sound they get in the recording studio at the time was just as fast and precise as want we get now? Or you don't believe in artist intend? You maybe know that tube in an amp catch the sound waves and create reverb in the sound output to the speakers. If they were using tube amp in thew studio then suddenly those tube were not affected by that? Just answering with a "witty" is not an argument. What about I twist yours?: "Opinions without basic knowledge lead to all sorts of errors of judgement."

Top Bottom