• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Nilai500DIY Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 74 19.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 286 75.7%

• Total voters

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you hear a difference, this is likely to be due to a small gain mismatch. A tiny bit louder by a few dB decimals will give you the feeling it sounds less ‘muddy’ or more ‘airy’.
This.

FabienM

I tried medium gain and -30dB, compared to low gain and -20dB, which seemed to have the same loudness. If I had to choose, I'd say I prefer medium gain. But the difference, if any, is trivial compared to the difference between this setup and the one it replaced, which was also Hypex.
Thank you for that usefull feedback.
From your experience i learn that Low gain and -20db on the Dac would be a good listening level on 200W 8ohms speakers.
That leave 20dB more precisely 22db ( SMSL SU-9 PRO DAC goes from -99dB to +2dB), to reach the max level of the DAC.
At that max level my ear would probably have enough however without bleeding :) A good way to prevent the Nilai power to send the boomers on the dark side of the moon for my speakers.

leManu

Been listening to my Nilai500 stereo for a day now, and here's my first impression. First I'm underwhelmed by it's power. I want it to replace a Linn Klout, rated at 80W/Channel/8 Ohms. (https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/images/4/43/Klout_info.PDF). Well, my Klout is actually playing louder than the Nilai with medium gain (Umik-1 in REW for testing). WTF? But I do like the sound of the Nilai, very clean, nice instruments separation, details are aplenty compare to the Klout. Lack the "meat" (I know you will call it distortion, but until it's tested I will not) of the Klout. So for now I'm disappointed, maybe I should have go for the mono block. But who would have thought that a 225W amp would not give more power than a 80W? I'm no sound engineer, most of the specs posted here are gibberish to me, but I was trusting the community and Amir. Maybe I shouldn't have done so. Is there anything I don't get about the numbers?

leManu

Plus I'm feeding the Klout with single ended at 2v and the Nilai with XLR at 4v.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I meant before buying it.
The cheap and easy method would be to use a dB meter on your cel tel if you can demo the amps. It's not very accurate compared to a proper dB meter but it will give you a number to reference to and level match them for comparason. Otherwise somebody can help you with the graphs and specs. Lots of peeps here are happy to help; myself included.

leManu

The cheap and easy method would be to use a dB meter on your cel tel if you can demo the amps. It's not very accurate compared to a proper dB meter but it will give you a number to reference to and level match them for comparason. Otherwise somebody can help you with the graphs and specs. Lots of peeps here are happy to help; myself included.
For amp like the Nilai that are only sold online that's not a possibility. But thanks for the answer.

leManu

Meanwhile I think I have a fully assembled Nilai500 stereo amp for sale.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Meanwhile I think I have a fully assembled Nilai500 stereo amp for sale.
Have you torture tested the amps to max volume before clipping to see how loud they go and the bass thump when you adjust the low bass frequencies? That's the way to test drive them without using the position of the volume control as a reference. If you have the Klout and the Nilai500 handy. :D

leManu

They are both plugged in my preamp right now and I had test them both played at 100% volume. The sound wasn't nice (clipping?) at that level, but not loud enough for my liking. But I didn't adjust the bass in any way. My wish when I bought the Nilai was to have more power as I thought that my Klout wasn't powerful enough having to drive it at near max level a lot of the time.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They are both plugged in my preamp right now and I had test them both played at 100% volume. The sound wasn't nice (clipping?) at that level, but not loud enough for my liking. But I didn't adjust the bass in any way. My wish when I bought the Nilai was to have more power as I thought that my Klout wasn't powerful enough having to drive it at near max level a lot of the time.
IC. Nice test setup... Hmmz it does not make sense that the Nilai500 does not go loud enough because it tests as extremely powerful. Maybe there is something amiss with the amp or the setup.
index.php

index.php

index.php

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@leManu according to @amirm the Nilai gain switch needs to be configured for maximum volume. Did you adjust the gain switch?

The amplifier has built-in preamp providing three levels of gain (12, 22 and 28 dB). A jumper selects the appropriate level. At 12 dB, you need about 12 volts to reach full power which requires a pro audio interface or a pre-amp with that level of output. The sole input in this configuration is balanced.

leManu

@leManu according to @amirm the Nilai gain switch needs to be configured for maximum volume. Did you adjust the gain switch?

The amplifier has built-in preamp providing three levels of gain (12, 22 and 28 dB). A jumper selects the appropriate level. At 12 dB, you need about 12 volts to reach full power which requires a pro audio interface or a pre-amp with that level of output. The sole input in this configuration is balanced.
I have the gain is configure at medium (22dB) at the moment, I'll try changing it to max gain and post about the results.

leManu

OK, changed the jumper to max gain. I now got a lot more power than with the Klout. From what I understand from the graph I lost a bit of SINAD, but whatever. I'm still more than confused about how to understand the relationship between wattage of an amp and volume, but I'll read more about it in the next days. At least now I can compare it with my Klout the way I intend to. Still feel like I should have bought the monobloc for even more power if I had know this power/volume thing. Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

Last edited:

leManu

OMFG! Power! Exactly what I was hoping for. And clarity through power. I had to unplug my subwoofer had it wasn't in tune in anymore. And I doubt I will need it anymore. Or I'll need a better one... When I purchase my speaker the dealer told me that they like a lot of power. I totally got it now. I'm even more curious about monoblock. For the one that told me I would't like the sound of Nilai, what is not to love about transparency and power?

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Another thing to consider: the Nilai only reaches max output when driven by a power supply capable of providing the necessary input. The stereo Nilai only uses one SMPS, which is shared by the two modules. I don't believe it will drive the two modules to full rated power. You would need a SMPS for each amp module to do that.

Top Bottom