• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Nilai build, first impressions.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I know. -But puts extra load on the electrical system that transports it.

Apparent power is always higher than actual. Unless cos phi = 1, then they are equal.
What do you mean by electrical load in the context of the amp?

In power transmission, power factor is not created by the transmission lines, but by the load (the equipment in our houses and businesses). That requires higher current to deliver the same power. The higher current in the transmission lines causes higher losses (I^2R), which are result in additional real power in the transmission lines.

Inside the amp the real power IS the load - any power factor issues have already caused that additional real power (eg through the peak capacitor charging currents in the ESR of the cap).

D

Deleted member 48726

What do you mean by electrical load in the context of the amp?

In power transmission, power factor is not created by the transmission lines, but by the load (the equipment in our houses and businesses). That requires higher current to deliver the same power. The higher current in the transmission lines causes higher losses (I^2R), which are result in additional real power in the transmission lines.

Inside the amp the real power IS the load - any power factor issues have already caused that additional real power (eg through the peak capacitor charging currents in the ESR of the cap).
This is off topic. I'm not sure if you disagree or what the deal is. -Doesn't look like it. What is your question?

Distribution and grid needs to be dimensioned to both reactive and real.. Thus having poor power factor is counterproductive in the big picture.
Many smps's have pf correction today. Obligatory in some parts of the world, thus my original remark. Curious to see if the new class d amps come to europe with some correction coils.

Let's get on-topic again though.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
This is off topic. I'm not sure if you disagree or what the deal is. -Doesn't look like it. What is your question?

Distribution and grid needs to be dimensioned to both reactive and real.. Thus having poor power factor is counterproductive in the big picture.
Many smps's have pf correction today. Obligatory in some parts of the world, thus my original remark. Curious to see if the new class d amps come to europe with some correction coils.

Let's get on-topic again though.

You were questioning the temperatures of the amp - you seemed to be indicating that this would be influenced by apparent power. I wanted to correct that impression

Sorry if I misinterpreted.

D

Deleted member 48726

You were questioning the temperatures of the amp - you seemed to be indicating that this would be influenced by apparent power. I wanted to correct that impression

Sorry if I misinterpreted.
No no. That's not related or how it works. But just an observation. A thought on text in the moment. Could have been clearer though.

Top Bottom