• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 55 12.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 394 86.0%

• Total voters

Descartes

Major Contributor
NCx500 wont be available to early April now. So please be aware if this info is not posted on companies NCx500 ordering page. Hypex saying don't worry nobody has them yet.
Here is what I get every time I try to go to your site

Attachments

• httpswww.nordacoustics.co.uknord-one-se-nc500.png
    httpswww.nordacoustics.co.uknord-one-se-nc500.png
    719.4 KB · Views: 48

Pritaudio

A reader of ASR should be knowledgeable enough to add an RME ADI-2 DAC to this amp as endgame. Not many in the overall market though, I agree.
What passive speaker with passive crossovers makes use of that sinad.
surely better off with genelec or Neumann integrated product with measurements.

Pritaudio

Can someone recommend standmounts or floorstanders to pair with this amp.
I am trying to mimic studio monitors, flat frequency response with some eq.
which passive speaker is worthy?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can someone recommend standmounts or floorstanders to pair with this amp.
I am trying to mimic studio monitors, flat frequency response with some eq.
which passive speaker is worthy?
Start here.

Stokdoof

Forum Donor
...thanks...I didn't get that far...I see it said "option"...sorry for the imprecision...

...I am trying to determine what makes them so much more expensive than Audiologic or Nord...

...they seem to take a hit @ 2 ohm compared to the reference design...

...if I can just wait a little this x module will be obsolete and less expensive...
This is so not pointless..

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Thought I would share a THD+N measurement at 4 Ohm we conducted of the NCx500 with the internal buffer vs our (Vera Audio developed) buffer. We are presently not offering an amp with NCx500 but we're considering it. Take note the measuring equipment itself becomes a bottleneck here when the distortion get's to the lowest levels, thus the distortion is actually lower.

Internal Hypex buffer:
View attachment 272765

Our own Vera Audio buffer:
View attachment 272768

Higher resolution from 100W:

View attachment 272767

And below we can see the Vera Audio P400/1000 with NC500 modules. With lower wattage, it measures with lower distortion compared to the NCx500 with the internal buffer.
View attachment 272769
That looks like a significant noise reduction.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To anyone wanting to upgrade NC500OEM modules to NCx500OEM, Nord already has them for sale.

Hapo

...I am looking but may hold out on Buckeye...

klipsch

To anyone wanting to upgrade NC500OEM modules to NCx500OEM, Nord already has them for sale.

Appreciate the heads up - the old/original 3 channel NC500s I have do not leave me wanting for anything else, but curiosity always hits ...

Glad to see love back to Hypex

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Appreciate the heads up - the old/original 3 channel NC500s I have do not leave me wanting for anything else, but curiosity always hits ...

Glad to see love back to Hypex

Only for sale if you have a Nord NC500OEM to replace...

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Makes me proud of my home town Groningen where the company produces.great stuff!
Hey I am planning to go stay there this summer on a "tour" of Luxembourg, Netherlands, Belgium. What are your favorite places to eat? Best area(s) to stay (i.e. walkable to restaurants and so on)? And hmmm is there a factory tour of Hypex I wonder...

deercreekaudio

Dealer
Isn't testing this unbuffered a bit unfair for comparison? How useful is a power amp with just 12 dB of gain and what is the input impedance in this config?

Can these be configured for 23 dB gain?
The NCx500 OEM amplifier module has an on-board high-end buffer stage which is jumper selectable (J15/J7) and allows for 26.8 dB of voltage gain, vs.11.5 dB as tested here. This a great match with the miniDSP SHD, providing ultra low noise & distortion, with immense power.

Attachments

• IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 72

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey I am planning to go stay there this summer on a "tour" of Luxembourg, Netherlands, Belgium. What are your favorite places to eat? Best area(s) to stay (i.e. walkable to restaurants and so on)? And hmmm is there a factory tour of Hypex I wonder...
Check p.m.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
The NCx500 OEM amplifier module has an on-board high-end buffer stage which is jumper selectable (J15/J7) and allows for 26.8 dB of voltage gain, vs.11.5 dB as tested here. This a great match with the miniDSP SHD, providing ultra low noise & distortion, with immense power.
How is SINAD changed with such difference in gain?

deercreekaudio

Dealer
How is SINAD changed with such difference in gain?
We have made measurements (26.8 dB gain) using our test setup which only has 107 dB dynamic range of THD + N measurement capability. This is what we measured (SINAD 107 dB) and only represents the test equipment THD + N as the NCx500s are better. In listening, these amplifiers are as quiet as a dark night in deep space with intense layering, dimension and power. Please PM me if you would like me to send you the plots. I don't want to publish the plots as some may not understand test equipment limitations. This is a pure Hypex build with the Hypex on board buffer amplifiers and SMPS1200A700 power supply.

Last edited:
Top Bottom