• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 55 12.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 396 86.1%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Isn't testing this unbuffered a bit unfair for comparison? How useful is a power amp with just 12 dB of gain and what is the input impedance in this config?
We have had other amps with low gain as well. I tested both Benchmark and Purifi that way. But yes, I agree that we should test at higher gains. I just didn't have the info to do it just yet. Will update the review when I get that info.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
both impressive, but due to topping previous reliability issue on the amp, and that both SINAD is beyond audiable, while power headroom is better than without, I would take the HypeX any time of the day
Its not the la90 they had issues with.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Thanks for the much-anticipated review!
Certainly end-game, without a doubt.
Start saving up your pennies!

Hypex Nilai looks promising as well.

index.php

source

Sokel

Master Contributor
Really good results!
(but I wouldn't power lows with it)
I would also like to see high gain results so we can compare with the rest 25-30db gain amps which is more like real life.

Thanks Amir!

Edit:
It's also strange that is somehow follows the distortion pattern we saw in the Buckeye amp couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
Its not the la90 they had issues with.
yea it's not, but how topping is dealing with it plus the issue happens in a line where it champs in SINAD but falls so badly in reliability would unavoidably cast doubt for the brand, which, especially when SINAD is both inaudible, would personally change purchase decision.

don't get me wrong, I am still a huge fan of Topping for their dacs and headphone amps, coz their performance and price is really good, plus that these are low power usecase, but for high powered stuffs like speaker amp, I would be conservative

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Isn't testing this unbuffered a bit unfair for comparison? How useful is a power amp with just 12 dB of gain and what is the input impedance in this config?

The next model will have 9dB gain for even better noise specs, then 6, 3 and eventually 0dB gain.

12dB of gain is ~4 times. LOL. So some dude with his 4V output DAC will get an almighty 31.7W@8R. Or he puts some actual gain up front and all the specs go out the window. Letalone poor old guys with a 2V source- they will get an enormous ~8Watts into their 8 ohm speakers...

Let's call it for what it is, an unfinished DIY implementation that would not be commercially sold as is. It needs a proper buffer to be usable unless you have a preamp that can output around 15V to give a reasonable usable volume range. I have a few vintage ones that would do that, but seriously?

I always thought such half finished DIY things were off the ASR reviewing table? Wasn't that the rules?

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
yea it's not, but how topping is dealing with it plus the issue happens in a line where it champs in SINAD but falls so badly in reliability would unavoidably cast doubt for the brand, which, especially when SINAD is both inaudible, would personally change purchase decision.

don't get me wrong, I am still a huge fan of Topping for their dacs and headphone amps, coz their performance and price is really good, plus that these are low power usecase, but for high powered stuffs like speaker amp, I would be conservative
Thing to bear in mind - all manufacturers can be subject to these problems. Only 3 years ago, Hypex were shipping modules with some fairly dodgy design flaws resulting in reliability issues as identified by our own @restorer-john . No idea if they've fixed is since then - hopefully they have.

However, as you say a key differentiator is how an organisation responds when something does go wrong. Hypex have a good track record here. Topping does not.

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...d-amp-long-term-reliability.25744/post-879401

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The next model will have 9dB gain for even better noise specs, then 6, 3 and eventually 0dB gain.

12dB of gain is ~4 times. LOL. So some dude with his 4V output DAC will get an almighty 31.7W@8R. Or he puts some actual gain up front and all the specs go out the window. Letalone poor old guys with a 2V source- they will get an enormous ~8Watts into their 8 ohm speakers...

Let's call it for what it is, an unfinished DIY implementation that would not be commercially sold as is. It needs a proper buffer to be usable unless you have a preamp that can output around 15V to give a reasonable usable volume range. I have a few vintage ones that would do that, but seriously?

I always thought such half finished DIY things were off the ASR reviewing table? Wasn't that the rules?
If possible I would give you 10 likes for it.

Sokel

Master Contributor
If the "half finished" is about the gain I think that is only an option as many new amps have (usually around 10,20 and 25db).
The first doesn't make a lot of sense for a power amp (even if I do have a pre that can output 12V) but it's kind of a fashion these days.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Perhaps, but most pro gear will output 10V no problem and any serious hi-fi preamp should too.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It has a built-in buffer. I tested it in bypass mode which has this 12 dB gain. I will be providing higher gain performance test soon.

For now, such low gain can be driven with pro audio interfaces. And is key to lowest noise performance.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I don't like these tests that only focus on a use case that is not relevant for 99,9% of people. Who here has a source that goes to 10V output?

Unrelated note, I'd like to see a good way to more easily compare power vs distortion at different frequencies between amplifiers.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a complete monoblock. This is what I insisted on getting and received the same. There is nothing half-finished about it.

Top Bottom